+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 380 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast
    2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
    wolfkrone plays stick. and fanatiq only plays marvel which is basically a fischer price: my first fighting game as far as execution is concerned.
    http://www.protocolsnow.com/wp-conte...020_sb4/18.jpg

wolfkrone plays pad.

Spoiler: show
    lol, fanatiq there too

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Vandole View Post
    wolfkrone plays pad.
    playing pad in tournament =/ he doesn't know how to play stick.

wolfkrone would body you on stick the same way he does on pad. he just makes less mistakes on pad so he rolls with it in tournament. he still knows how to play the game well on a stick and he probably (scratch that, DEFINITELY) owns 10x more TE's than you do

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

he's still a pad player

can take the nigga out of the hood but not the hood out of the nigga

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kiarax View Post
    At the very least there's absolutely no reason you can't learn the basics of the game and everything you need on a pad. If you want to get more serious about it later on down the line then you can go ahead and pick up a stick then. The transition will be harder given you have to get used to doing everything all over again and retrain your muscle memory, but if you're unsure about how serious you'll get playing it might not be worth the investment to you given the pretty steep price if you want a good one.
    You can also learn the basics of the game from flat out watching. I'd even go as far to say you'd learn more watching high level play than you would playing on a pad. Simply because 90% of pad knowledge doesn't translate to stick, and has to be relearned if you decide to pick up stick.

EXAMPLE. You can play the game for 6 months on a pad, and you develop good habits with Ryu such as using DP as an anti air, and learning how to FADC into Ultra. When you play a REAL matches on stick, you're going to try to do things you always did on pad, but your execution won't be there yet. Since you know you can't DP on reaction any more, you'll go for weaker or easier strategies instead. Or even if you TRY to DP but only do it at a 50% rate, you're going to develop scrub tendencies instead of leaning on fundamentals to win. The transition from pad will make you a weaker player up until the point where your execution is better on stick, which could take years.

Mastering execution on a stick is something I still struggle with and I've been using it for almost 2 years now. And I STILL wouldn't go back to pad because I wouldn't be 1/10th the player I am now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandole View Post
    he's still a pad player
    wolfkrone plays stick.
    and you still can't read. never said he wasn't a pad player, I said he can play stick.

just because my car is automatic doesn't mean i can't drive a manual

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

no, there's a big difference between

I play stick

and

I can play stick

stop double/triple posting. learn to edit your posts.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

You can also learn the basics of the game from flat out watching. I'd even go as far to say you'd learn more watching high level play than you would playing on a pad. Simply because 90% of pad knowledge doesn't translate to stick, and has to be relearned if you decide to pick up stick.

EXAMPLE. You can play the game for 6 months on a pad, and you develop good habits with Ryu such as using DP as an anti air, and learning how to FADC into Ultra. When you play a REAL matches on stick, you're going to try to do things you always did on pad, but your execution won't be there yet. Since you know you can't DP on reaction any more, you'll go for weaker or easier strategies instead. Or even if you TRY to DP but only do it at a 50% rate, you're going to develop scrub tendencies instead of leaning on fundamentals to win. The transition from pad will make you a weaker player up until the point where your execution is better on stick, which could take years.

Mastering execution on a stick is something I still struggle with and I've been using it for almost 2 years now. And I STILL wouldn't go back to pad because I wouldn't be 1/10th the player I am now.
    I'm not talking about training your reaction times and shit. I'm talking fundamentals of the game. Learning your footsies, combos, priority on moves/what beats what, option selects, etc etc. Fighting games (Street Fighter especially) are about far more than just execution. Everything outside of that translates just fine between pad and stick. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating to use pad over stick, I sure as hell know stick is vastly superior and it's certainly easier to learn the game on one than learn one and jump to the other. But for someone just starting and not knowing how serious they're gonna get, dropping money on a stick they'll never use after a couple of weeks isn't always worthwhile. Knowledge plays a huge role in the game, and at the very least he can learn stuff he needs to knowwhilst deciding just how seriously he's gonna take and the game and if a stick is worth the investment. And I'm also gonna cosign the whole watching high level play thing, I rarely even touch SF and I know a ton about the game just from watching tournaments and stuff, there's some good video guides out there for stuff too. I have zero interest in Ryu for example but watching the Cross Counter guide with Air actually taught me a couple of things about the game I didn't know. For reference:

Might be worth checking out for you Leb, but it's long.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

okay and what part of 'wolfkrone plays stick' is false when he does so in casuals all the time. he's a better stick player than 90% of stick players. it doesn't matter what he uses, so it's dumb to say he's a "pad player" when he can use both extremely well

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kiarax View Post
    I'm not talking about training your reaction times and shit. I'm talking fundamentals of the game. Learning your footsies, combos, priority on moves/what beats what, option selects, etc etc. Fighting games (Street Fighter especially) are about far more than just execution. Everything outside of that translates just fine between pad and stick. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating to use pad over stick, I sure as hell know stick is vastly superior and it's certainly easier to learn the game on one than learn one and jump to the other. But for someone just starting and not knowing how serious they're gonna get, dropping money on a stick they'll never use after a couple of weeks isn't always worthwhile. Knowledge plays a huge role in the game, and at the very least he can learn stuff he needs to knowwhilst deciding just how seriously he's gonna take and the game and if a stick is worth the investment. And I'm also gonna cosign the whole watching high level play thing, I rarely even touch SF and I know a ton about the game just from watching tournaments and stuff, there's some good video guides out there for stuff too. I have zero interest in Ryu for example but watching the Cross Counter guide with Air actually taught me a couple of things about the game I didn't know. For reference:
    Might be worth checking out for you Leb, but it's long.
    Execution plays a large part in street fighter. Plinking and kara's are only possible on stick. Doubling your chances of landing hard combo's and lengthening the range on certain moves alone is a barrier that pad players have. Like I said, you can learn how to play the game properly on pad, but the likelihood of that happening is a lot smaller.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

kara's are only possible on stick.
    wut

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

I'd love to see you Kara DP with Ken on a pad. The best pad players I know all say it's not reliable enough to perform in real matches.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Idk, I don't play ken. I can kara throw/demon with vega/akuma/e. ryu fine on pad thou. Sagats karas too, but that's not saying much.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

I am so glad I never learned on a pad and just did things right from the start with a TE. Not being able to play in an Arcade is a HUGE loss for anyone trying to learn the game.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amelia Diremii
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Holy shit, I started a pad vs stick war.

Regardless, I have watched SF high level play since last years EVO and just now got up the want to play the game. Yes, I am going to get a stick and learn how to use one properly since I've been wanting one, even if just to learn how to play MK through one as well though I'm partial to pad only for MK. But, that is not going to be for a long time, I do not have the time to devote to relearning everything I know on a stick right now nor do I have the $150 to drop on a good TE stick with my money being extremely tight for me. So I will be learning and playing on pad for awhile, but, as I said, later on down the road I'll grab a stick and dedicate myself to it. Hell, if I drop that $150 on a TE stick, I might as well also make sure to have the money to also buy me a nice ASUS monitor as not to deal with lag.

@Kiarax, thanks for that video I actually already watched VesperArcades huge 11 chapter tutorial series he has up on YouTube and I already feel like I know a good portion of the game, just the execution is what I'll have to learn.

[edit]

One thing I forgot to say is I am on PS3 so I am not using that god awful 360 dpad. PS3 dpad is a really well made pad.

HITBOX OR BUST OBVIOUSLY

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Wolfkrone said in his post Evo interview that he is absolutely switching full-time to stick and by next Evo you would never see him on pad again. Like I said, his reasoning was burn kick placement was stronger with stick. He housed with Latif last weekend and posted about his stick progress getting closer. 2-3 more majors and the only pad AE player left will be Vangief.

Here is more evidence:

http://shoryuken.com/2011/09/14/wake...te-is-turning/

@14:15 – Wolfkrone switching to arcade stick

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

The stock ps3 controller is pretty laggy, even when running through usb, god knows why. The l2/r2 triggers are also awful for fighting games, since you can't precisely time anything with them, or mash them very well if need be.

And while on the topic of pads, has anyone seen one of these in person? Wondering whether or not it still has l2/r2 buttons, or if the extra 2 face buttons just replace them.

Trigun

When vanilla was on PC I used a usb converter with a PS2 controller, never felt more in control of my character before that.
    Was excited when I could FADC Ultra with Ryu, it was like learning Raging Demon for the first time.

At the end of the day it's all about personal preference.
    America isn't buying $20,000 cabinets from Japan.
    Most tourneys are on console, even WNF and Guard Crush are on consoles.

If its for fun at an arcade, its good to have stick experience.
    Only a few places in America have cabinets, and from what I've seen in vids Asias arcades are more then healthy.
    ...I remember when my family went to Las Vegas while visiting family in CA, my dad would stay with me and my cousins in the Arcades while family gambled.
    I haven't been there since then but I'm pretty sure Las Vegas is the Arcade Mecca. Its where they have EVO after all.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

Arcades in Asia are strong, but it sucks that I have to go to Seoul to find a SF arcade cab (about 2.5 hours via bullet train, 5 hours via normal train). I'm literally as close to Japan as possibly without being on an island, and the 4 arcades in my city have nothing but T6, T5, TTT2, TTT, and KoF98 for fighters.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Thats lame, even I have japanese AE cabs within 10 minutes of me, lol.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Stream is not working at all for me, even if I can tell from the retarded stream chat that it's up. Refreshing, clearing cookies no dice. Shitsux

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 380 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast