1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 15 hours, 26 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 8 hours, 33 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 8 hours, 26 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 1 hours, 33 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
    New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Neviskio Mordekaiser
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Crushridge

Stuttering/tearing/general video problems with semi-high end pc(i7-2700k OC, 5870 ati)

Hi, sorry for the new post, I tried reading a bit but couldn't fix my issues still, I'm playing ffxiv for my first day and it's been....well technically unpleasant since the game just doesn't want to run in a decent way.

This is my pc specs and then I'll explain the issues in detail

motherboard: asus maximus IV extreme
    cpu: it-2600k clocked at around 4.2 but sometimes I push it more or less.
    gfx: ati radeon 5870 normal drivers version 11.9 with CCC, no profiles(gonna try the ffxiv one next to see if it changes) no crossfire it's single GPU.(everything is set app controlled, forced vsync always on, other options only make it worse, what it's not app driven is all set to maximum quality.)
    ram: 8gb ddr3 dual channel 2100mhz 9-11-9-28 (I know could be better but still, should be fine)

ffxiv settings: full scren 1920x1080 2xmsaa(tried 0 doesn't change anything)8 drawing quality,3 background drawing, shadow detail standard,everything else I didn't touch so it's all at standard, mouse hardware is enabled, other options aren't.

I'd say my pc should run this more than fine enough since even the benchmarks were all quite good even at high-ish settings but instead, when I play the real game it's....just terribad.Mostly what bothers me to no end is that with vsync either on or off there's a huge amount of tearing and it's too noticeable to ignore it.It's driving me mad any minute I keep playing since it's just not lookable.Also I tend to have huge stuttering moments whan that happens.In windowed mode the game is unplayable. I believe by eyeballing it didn't go more than 2fps at standard settings while windowed, nothing opened, so basically it's full screen or bust which doesn't make me happy since I have a tendency to over-alt-tab while playing <.<

Any help is appreciated...

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Hi, had the same problem with I first started at game launch with my ATI 5770, even with upgrading later to 580 Sli, it can still happen. I strongly suggest you play in "Windowed" mode and use this program call Game Window Relocator. Its been used for a long time on Star Craft and does wonders for FFXIV. It allows you to play in Full Screen, but its windowed , and you can ALT-TAB all you want into and outta FFXIV, but what is also does it stops COMPLETELY the TEARING you are getting by playing the game with FFXIV CONFIG set to full screen. Just download the problem and let it run in background before you log into FFXIV. Set FFXIV Config now to WINDOWED Mode. Set Game Window Relocator to set FFXIV to AutoRelocate when program is running.

Link ....... gwr.orekaria.com
    /Cheer

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Neviskio Mordekaiser
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Crushridge

I'm going to try though in windowed mode the game runs usually at like 2 fps at best, so might not be the solution.Generally windowed for me has been a disaster even if my gpu is running at full clock, not sure why...

edit: just tried huge thanks, it fixed my tearing so atleast I don't have my eye twitching in anger when I play, though the stuttering and generally bad fps still applies, any suggestion on how to fix that is more than welcome! Fullscreen I have less stuttering and fps drops but a lot more tearing <.<

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Are you stuttering in towns? You have a high end PC, although the 5870 is a bit older now. I stutter mostly in towns... when running thru a crowd of people I can go from 30 to 20 fps. Mostly outside im at 60fps, 45 -50 if in a party or at a camp. It might be a hard drive issue. I got a standard HDD, hoping to upgrade to a SSD soon, since mmorpg should benefit from faster read speeds, I think any bottleneck on your PC might be the Hard Drive. Other then that you should be fine, your game was tearing im assuming outside when your were getting 60fps and for some reason ffxiv Vsync doesnt seem to work right.

does this program force crossfire to be enabled while in windowed ?