+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

according to wiki the bad guys with the evil queen for the curse included:

Spoiler: show
    The Giant from Jack & The Beanstalk, The Blind Witch from Hansel & Gretel, The Horned King from The Black Cauldron, and The Red Gnome from Snow White & Rose Red. That's very interesting if true (the bit about the Black Cauldron). Makes me wonder what other non-fairytale Disney movies are going to make it in to the show.

I didn't assume it would only be Disney fairy tales or versions of those... wasn't it just based on fairy tales in general?

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    I didn't assume it would only be Disney fairy tales or versions of those... wasn't it just based on fairy tales in general?
    It's not only based on disney fairy tales (there's no disney Rumpelstiltskin for example). It does seem like that if there's a disney version, then they are "based" on that version. like a homage to them. For example, using the name Maleficent and having her look similar. The evil queen also looks similar to the one in snow white. (hood with a point at the forehead). Grumpy sings whistle while you work when he was in the jail scene, etc.

Yeah, I can see them doing Disney throwbacks because a lot more people have seen those versions. Still, glad they're doing other fairy tales and characters and changing up some existing ones.

I'm curious as to what Snow White did to the Queen that was so bad. I'm glad it wasn't just about a goody two shoes princess that was troubled without provocation.

watched the first 2 episodes last night, had previously completely forgotten this was starting. I really enjoyed them, some good acting and they merge the stories excellently I thought. A lot of the new shows this year turned out to be the usual crap, but this one pulling above the rest so far.

Anyone got a link to the latest episode?

aduidarnenye

Rumpelstiltskin is one of the more interesting villians in a long time on a television series. He's obviously the big bad guy, compared to the Evil Queen doing it for love (which has some sexist overtones because that's how so many female villians are portrayed but no matter).

However, while I got a big laugh at the fairy godmother being blown up, I don't understand why they mixed fairy tales. Rumpelstiltskin has his own perfectly good fairy tale princess that he makes a deal with for her firstborn child.

E. Body
    BG Level

Well obviously one baby isn't enough. Not like what he does is an isolated case. Just that that's the only time he got caught! What I want to know is how much do the villains remember about the past?

aduidarnenye

Quote Originally Posted by Iono View Post
    Well obviously one baby isn't enough. Not like what he does is an isolated case. Just that that's the only time he got caught! What I want to know is how much do the villains remember about the past?
    There is an awful lot of baby talk in this show.

I think that either Rumpelstiltskin remembers, partially remembers, or will be the first to remember.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I just assumed that the Queen and Rumple both know the truth.. Least that's how I've been watching the show.. As for "mixing tales".. I agreed until they said he's always doing deals.. As if the Rumpelstiltskin fairy tale involving spinning straw into gold might actually be another storyline in the future.. Guess we will see..

This whole "normal person goes to weird town full of special people and becomes town police" has a certain Eureka vibe..

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Loan View Post
    I just assumed that the Queen and Rumple both know the truth.. Least that's how I've been watching the show.. As for "mixing tales".. I agreed until they said he's always doing deals.. As if the Rumpelstiltskin fairy tale involving spinning straw into gold might actually be another storyline in the future.. Guess we will see..

This whole "normal person goes to weird town full of special people and becomes town police" has a certain Eureka vibe..
    I believe it is explicitly stated the evil Queen does NOT know who she is. Rumplestiltskin on the other hand, probably doesn't know ... yet, but let's face it, this whole show is his plan and he's the evil genius who totally played the Queen like a fiddle from the moment he hatched this series of events. I'm fully expecting that he didn't merely see the future scenario, he made sure to push all the playing pieces just enough to force his own prophecy and by extension, his intended world, into existence.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I'm pretty sure the Queen knows who she is in Storybrooke. In the scene with Gold(Rumpelstiltskin) by her apple tree she was fishing to see if he remembered the deal they made for the curse. I could be wrong but it seemed heavily implied there.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Iono View Post
    As far as i can tell, whatsherface remembers everything, and everyone else remembers nothing.

aduidarnenye

I don't believe the Queen remembers. I think she suspects something is a bit odd, but not remember outright. The scenes where it seems that she remembers/knows are just proof of one's nature not being changeable.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by aduidarnenye View Post
    I don't believe the Queen remembers.
    Honestly, i'm not sure how you could possibly even think that.

I'm not too well versed on fairy tales so can someone explain why Rumple wants all these babies?

If they were going for the extremely creepy vibe, they picked a really good actor to play him.

aduidarnenye

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    Honestly, i'm not sure how you could possibly even think that.
    Well, the first clue was that Rumpelstiltskin told her she wouldn't remember after the curse went off.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ardreul Galawen
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by aduidarnenye View Post
    Well, the first clue was that Rumpelstiltskin told her she wouldn't remember after the curse went off.
    Are you talking about the 2nd episode? I believe you are incorrect and the queen told Rumplestiltskin that HE would not remember asking for these things when the curse went off. He was asking to be rich and shit iirc. Then he was basically like "humor me then bitch."

aduidarnenye

I thought he told her that she wouldn't remember either after she told him that?

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I may need to go review episodes but so far I have

1) I'm of the opinion that no one remembers, not even Rumple or the Queen.

2) The Queen definitely sees merit in what her son says, hence reading the book so intently. This reinforces to me that she doesn't know, but suspects. Also, by extention, since she might suspect the book is true, she may also suspect specifically that she is the Queen.

3) Based on their encounter in her back yard, and further enforcing that she doesn't know, was the fact that she shows no sign of knowing about her deal with Rumple. A Queen with memories would avoid him like the plague otherwise.

4) This should be beyond obvious, but for people with a memory wipe, they hold far more than just their old personality dispositions (like the queens anger or Cindarellas timidness) but they seem to have kept really specific traits (like Rumples waekness for contracts and his unerring philosophy to never break them). Not really a point to me saying that, but they aren't simply people with magically inflicted amnesia, they're effictively 100% their old selves just in a non-fantasy setting.

5) Oh, just thought of this, but I was thinking earlier about why a memoryless real world Queen and Rumple would seek out Henry specifically. It then occured to me that, based on Rumples requests to the Queen when making the deal, that prior to the curse the Queen held a lot of sway over how they would end up, as opposed to a pile of memoryless people dropped into a town. Odds are they really don't know why, but were magically inclined to get "the child of the child who will stop us". Much like how none of them question why no one ever left town, or why their old memories are blurry (Henry stated this), or in the Queens case why she never questions the stuff she does for Rumple ... they just are magcally compelled to "shrug off" inconsistent logic.