1 22 oz can of tomatoes
    5 italian sausages, cut into slices
    cayenne pepper
    cajun spices
    1 chopped green pepper
    1/2 chopped onion
    1 lb jumbo shrimp, thawed
    white rice as needed

Combine everything but shrimp and rice. Cook on low for 8 hours. Add shrimp when you start to cook the rice. Serve over rice.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Thanks for the tips Nirokun and Coren. My potatoes weren't peeled, I didn't have a peeler haha. And I didn't like the idea of peeling it with a knife, too cold and lazy.

I was eating the leftovers of the stew for dinner just now, and it occured to me this is basically soup.

And seeing some recipes on the previous posts, and also Coren's recipe above, I can only assume tinned/canned soup makes an excellent base to slow cook in.

Can anyone teach/tell me the proportions I should follow? I keep seeing 1 can of water to each can of soup, but that seems way too much water overall and it could thin the output too much?

My next idea was. improving on this one:

More beef, leave some of the fat on
    peeled non-baby potatoes
    some peas
    Use 2 tins of some beef and ale soup (heinz/campbells)

Any tips on how I can get more flavour into the beef? My beef was essentially tasteless (Despite the spice/herb coating the night before) and only the beef stock liquid gave it the taste.

Coren: Looked up london broil on wiki. My god it sounds delicious. I'll see if I can grab any. Otherwise, any generic meat?

I assume can of french onion = can of french onion soup?

Do I need to add any water? Or just dump all 3 in the crockpot, stir, and leave it on high for 8+ hours?

EDIT: sorry i really honestly am a cooking retard. i never really cooked before except fry, heat up, microwave or oven up food ebefore (and making sandwiches but that doesn't count-- you just slap things together lol)
    Meat, 2 cans, ignore 8 hours. It makes what I'd consider a gravy, so don't expect it to be a stew (so don't add water, or it'll be realllyyyy runny). I don't even add any spices (and I love me some spices). And yeah, most any hunk of meat. If I'm home in time, I'll shred it and let it rest a while.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Look at you fuckers, bumping my cooking thread while I'm on vacation.

Well!

Great job, all these recipes are awesome.

I'm starting a diet this week to trim the fat a bit so I'll update with Paleo/Zone Diet friendly shit.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I'm now armed with:

A potato peeler
    2 tins of "beef broth" (heinz soup)
    Even more beef cuts; purposely chose some with a tiny bit more fat
    Carrots and Peas
    A proper potato (well, the package says jacket potato, but hey a potato is a potato ...) -- will use my remaining baby potatoes too on top of this

Will post on my results tomorrow/day after

Meat, 2 cans, ignore 8 hours. It makes what I'd consider a gravy, so don't expect it to be a stew (so don't add water, or it'll be realllyyyy runny). I don't even add any spices (and I love me some spices). And yeah, most any hunk of meat. If I'm home in time, I'll shred it and let it rest a while.
    Ya it sounds real thick, perfect to go on top of potatoes and vegetables! Will see what I can get.

--

Random question while I'm here, is it better to use chicken breast or chicken thighs for slow cooking? Breast is usually dry enough but even if slow cooked I don't feel the texture would be a good as say, a thigh part. I tried thigh when slow cooked before and it was lovely, but never breast.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

If you like dark meat, thighs. If you like white meat, breasts.

Boneless breasts are NOT comparable to bone-in thighs though. Bones + slow cooking = more flavor.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Unsure what you mean by white/dark meat there :/

But I do agree from experience (mum's cooking) slow cooking with bones is brilliant.

--

Today's attempt:

Before:

and after!

I gotta admit, the tinned stuff makes a hell lotta difference until I can get my own stock right. However, at the moment I see no reason in trying to make my own, although I do wish to get better, so I will do that on my third attempt.

Now I just need to invest in some salt and some spices to make this more exciting. The beef was still a bit bland but mixed with the soup it was more or less perfect.

Nirokun: thanks for the peeling potatoes suggestion, I'm shocked at how they turned out this time (nice and mushy) in comparison to last time where i kept them on! Can't believe the amount of protection that skin offers.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Oh! I meant if you prefer the taste of dark meat to white meat, you can use thigh meat instead of breast meat. As far as cooking goes there isn't too much of a difference in my opinion (That only goes for slow cooking)

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Also, I'm gonna make some chili tomorrow because it's HOLY SHIT COLD outside. I'll post the results.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Ya it's very cold here too, that's why I've gone "stew" crazy. I'm eating mine now and it's nice and warm, making my body all warm too lol. Very "homely" or "comfy" food.

Thanks for explaining the difference, I see what you mean now by the texture of the meat. i.e. breast meat if chicken is similar to what turkey gives, as it's always dry. I think that's what you're getting at.

Would love to see your results. Looking forward to it. A recipe too would be nice!

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Asian braised beef is pretty much the same.

-Sear or flash boil some beef chunks (Shank is best but any type of beef will do)
    -make a mixture of 5-spice, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, cock sauce, brown sugar, star anice
    -toss in carrots, potatoes and mix with beef and marinate
    -toss in beef broth, chicken broth or water and leave 1/2 inch of non-liquid
    -braise for many hours and use as topping for rice or noodles
    -can keep the liquid for stirfry

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

My favorite dish hands down is caldereta, which my wife (filipina) cooks in the crock pot the majority of the time. We've been together for a lil over two years now and in that time I've tried her's and 3 other's version of caldereta and I prefer my wife's. I'd list a recipe, but she is always toying with her's and will make it different depending on if we're having guests or if it's just us.

We recently started using Swazi Fire Sauce in some foods. I like spicy, and I'd say I can take light to moderate heat, but this stuff is too much if you use a lot. For an entire batch of caldereta my wife uses 1/2 teaspoon and that's it. Very flavorful stuff though.

Other recipes she'll make in the crock pot:

Adobo
    Turkey Chili
    Chicken Soup
    Ribs
    Chicken Dumplings

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Chili post!

Recipe is as follows (kinda) I'm pretty bad at measurements and shit

2 cans (15oz) kidney beans
    1lb ground beef from 8 O'clock Ranch in upstate NY (Shameless plug, they deliver to the Northeast overnight!)
    1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes
    salt
    black pepper
    lots of chili powder
    lots of cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoons of cumin
    2 HEAPING spoonfuls of minced garlic
    3/4 of a plastic container of chopped white onions
    1 (8oz) can of tomato paste (Not the usual but I like thick ass chili)

I didn't put peppers in this time, I have some sweet chili's in the fridge but they really don't go well with the tastes I'm going for.

Pictures!

Current in pot

Another one because fuck you

Browning up that meat!

After 3 hours. I'm having a small bowl now and it's got nice heat but no burning hot. All the flavors are blending pretty well.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

One of my favorite crock pot recipes is apple butter. It's great on biscuits or toast, or with pork chops. The recipe is as follows:

4 Quarts apple sauce (it turns out so much better if you make your own applesauce so I'll include a recipe at bottom)
    1T cinnamon
    1/2tsp ground cloves
    1/4 tsp ground ginger
    1/4 tsp ground allspice
    1C white sugar
    1C honey
    1/8C cider vinegar

put everything into crock pot, and let it cook on low or medium low until it thickens and turns reddish brown
    (6-12 hours depending on the power of your pot) If you want it to be closer to the 6 hour end, you can lay a couple chopsticks on top of the pot under the lid to prop it up and allow the water to evaporate faster. Depending on how evenly your pot cooks, you also might want to give it a stir every hour or so, especially towards the end.

apple sauce:

use good tasting sweet eating apples rather than baking apples like granny smith. I use half Gala half McIntosh.
    get a 6-8 quart heavy bottom pot, and put about an inch of apple juice in the bottom (you can just use water and it's almost as good)
    Cut apples in quarters and core them (or use one of those apple/pineapple corer/slicer jobbies) do not peel them
    cook covered over medium to medium high heat until the apples are totally mushy.
    Run the apples through a food mill, or just press them through a strainer. Throw out the skins that are left behind.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

my lazy mode crock pot meal

beef chuck
    beef stock
    carrots
    potatoes

and in the end add
    http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/img/p...hot-3-5-lg.jpg

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Last crock pot "recipe" I made was:
    2 Potatoes
    2.5 lbs beef chuck (browned beforehand)
    ~1 tbsp stock concentrate
    1 can crushed tomatoes
    2 cans worth of water (from the crushed tomatoes can)
    ~1 lb of onions
    6 cloves garlic
    ~2 tbsp chili powder
    ~1 tsp cayenne pepper
    ~1 tbsp black pepper
    ~1 tsp "vegetable curry powder" - I don't know wtf is in this but I'm using it up.
    ~1 tsp cumin
    ~1 tsp cinnamon

I stirred it and let it cook for 5 hours, and then I added:

1 can of black beans
    1 can of kidney beans

and stirred again. I left the lid off for an hour towards the end to reduce it down from soupy to sludgy. The meat falls apart. Beans and potatoes are fully done. It was spicy in a flavorful sense while not being too hot for my girlfriend to eat.

I'm of the opinion that it's really really hard to go wrong with the crock pot.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    I'm of the opinion that it's really really hard to go wrong with the crock pot.
    I agree, people tell me I should go to culinary school all the time. I just point at my crock pot and say, "Nope, he should be there."

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Sorry for bump but this time it's question about storage

I moved on to chicken stew and made one. Afterwards there was enough stew / soup left for another meal so I left it on the kitchen table for approx 4 hours. Then it dawned on me chicken must be handled more carefully than beef!! So I chucked the whole pot in the fridge; the pot was ever so slights warm at this point (I usually leave my beef stew on the table overnight and that's produced no effects but bearing in mid my home is usually cold)

Is my chicken screwed up? It looks fine so I was just wondering if I left it out too long and bacteria would've invaded the chicken during those 4 hours. Of course I will heat up he stew again tomorrow properly but I just can't help wondering if I was too late lol

perplexing perpetrator of in perpetuity
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Once the chicken is cooked its just like any other food.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Sorry for bump but this time it's question about storage

I moved on to chicken stew and made one. Afterwards there was enough stew / soup left for another meal so I left it on the kitchen table for approx 4 hours. Then it dawned on me chicken must be handled more carefully than beef!! So I chucked the whole pot in the fridge; the pot was ever so slights warm at this point (I usually leave my beef stew on the table overnight and that's produced no effects but bearing in mid my home is usually cold)

Is my chicken screwed up? It looks fine so I was just wondering if I left it out too long and bacteria would've invaded the chicken during those 4 hours. Of course I will heat up he stew again tomorrow properly but I just can't help wondering if I was too late lol
    I wish I had a definite answer but I honestly don't know. I've left thing out for 4+ hours on warm without any ill effects but that's a small sample size. You may be best off asking a real cook/chef.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

4 hrs won't do shit to cooked chicken... but heat it back up to a simmer for a minute if you're paranoid.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast