Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Norrissnake View Post
    Once the chicken is cooked its just like any other food.
    ah thanks, so my worry was to raw chicken then!

4 hrs won't do shit to cooked chicken... but heat it back up to a simmer for a minute if you're paranoid.
    Ya I usually heat it to simmer (bubbly?) and then go and take a shower and come back. Seems to enhance the flavour too!

Thanks guys =)

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Bumping for ideas!! I made some shortribs and a brisket recently. I'll post some pics when my computer stops douching out.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Mmmmmm ribs. It's pretty easy to make quality ribs, it just requires an investment of time. Last time I did some properly I had my grill set on as low as possible and turned+basted with a premade bbq sauce every 15 minutes for a few hours. Put an action anime I had already watched on the tv near the backdoor to the grill so I wouldn't get bored. Served/Ate with yellow rice.

I need to do that again, preferably before I spend a month in another country without my grill.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Let us not discuss grills in here. Mainly because I'm jealous and I don't have one.
    Pics inc in a few hours. On a fast cooking note, I picked up some awesome Coho salmon and lobster tails to eat tonight. Lobster is cheap as fuck for some reason. Under 10bucks a pound.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Kalua Pork

Ridill
    BG Level

do non-crock-pot recipes count in here?

haven't seen any good pot roasts cuz it's kinda hard to control a crock pot...

stuff you need:

meat
    2-3 onions
    6 or so carrots
    however many potatoes you like
    1/2 cup to a cup of liquid... I like a mix of about a half cup beef broth and about a half cup of beer. Other people like red wine, and I guess most common is just straight up a can of broth
    salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, thyme

So, start with a bigass chunk o' beef, 3-5 lbs, really pretty much anything works but a big cut of chuck is generally the way to go. Make sure you let it sit to room temperature or it'll be a pain to cook properly.

Take a big ole pot, or a dutch oven, or whatever. You need to be able to get it hot, which is why crock pot doesn't work so well, but I'll go into what you can do with a crock pot at the end.

Coat the bottom of the pot with olive oil, then toss in a couple pats of butter. Get it as hot as you can without burning the oil/butter. A tiny bit of smoke is ok but be careful not to ruin it.

Toss in the beef. Salt and pepper the ever loving shit out of it. Kosher salt is nice cuz it sticks real well.

Brown each side. Then take out the beef. Recoat the bottom of the pan with butter/olive oil as neccessary.

Cut the onions in half, peel, then cut off the tips. Toss them as they are (halves) into the pan, along with a couple cloves of garlic, and brown the flat side and the rounded side. Pull them out, cut up your carrots, and do the same.

Now take all that out, and pour in your liquid. Make sure you scrape the bottom really well and get all that delicious stuff left behind mixed up into the broth.

Then just chop your potatoes and put everything back into the liquid. Keep it hot for about 10 or 15 minutes, then take it to the lowest you can possibly get it and let it cook for 4-6 hours. Toss in some herbs like rosemary and thyme, a couple small sprigs fresh or a couple pinches of dried. And, of course, a bay leaf or 2 (don't forget to take it out at the end lol).

As to a crock pot, the main thing is that you can't really do the browning in the crock pot, so you have to scrape the bottom of your browning pan really really well to get all that stuff mixed into the broth, and then you'd transfer it over and do it all in the crock pot.

It's done when attempting to cut into the meat fails because it just falls apart instead.

Ridill
    BG Level

and btw, bud butter or oil works just dandy if you wanna make it a true "pot" roast

Not sure how I haven't posted by Beef Stroganoff recipe yet. Really easy and stupid good.

Stew meat
    Cream of mushroom soup
    Sour Cream/Creme Fraiche
    Cream Cheese
    Salt+Pepper

Put in stew meat, mix with mushroom soup so all the meat is coated (I generally use one of the big family-size campbell cans, but I generally make this for five people). Add in salt and pepper as desired. Low heat for eight hours. Thirty minutes before finished, put in sour cream and cream cheese and stir -- this is what will make the "stew" part for the crockpot. Keep a 2:1 ratio for cream cheese/sour cream for optimal results. Serve over egg noodles/rice. Add additional mushrooms or diced onions if that's your thing.

Ridill
    BG Level

i like to just get the noodles cooked and stir em in with the strokinoff for the last 30 mins or so

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Motherfucker I just ate dinner and I'm hungry again. Fuck.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I made some of what I call "All Week Chicken" to help with my overeating at work.

8 chicken breasts, boneless/skinless
    BBQ sauce - I used Some random shit in my fridge, added up to probably 2 cups.
    chicken broth - like half a big box
    Water - to cover
    Sweet potatoes - washed, cut into round pieces like 3/4in thick, skin left on
    onions - peeled, quartered and quartered (Eighths I guess)

No searing this time
    Put sweet taters on bottom
    onions in middle
    chicken on top (MAKE SURE TO SEPARATE IT OR IT'LL LOOK WEIRD)

Cook everything on high for like 3 hours
    Take out chicken
    Keep cooking for however long you want (Recommend at least 6 more hours for awesome sweet tatoes.

Wrap/store everything, separate broth, chicken, veggies.

Skim fat from broth

Eat whenever. I bring 2 to work everyday and eat @ like 11 and 3/4

Banned.

BG Level

Im stealing that recipe.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

It's easy as fuck and I make it with different combos of broth/veggies/bbq sauce each week. Keeps it fresh and yummy.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    do non-crock-pot recipes count in here?

haven't seen any good pot roasts cuz it's kinda hard to control a crock pot...

stuff you need:

meat
    2-3 onions
    6 or so carrots
    however many potatoes you like
    1/2 cup to a cup of liquid... I like a mix of about a half cup beef broth and about a half cup of beer. Other people like red wine, and I guess most common is just straight up a can of broth
    salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, thyme

So, start with a bigass chunk o' beef, 3-5 lbs, really pretty much anything works but a big cut of chuck is generally the way to go. Make sure you let it sit to room temperature or it'll be a pain to cook properly.

Take a big ole pot, or a dutch oven, or whatever. You need to be able to get it hot, which is why crock pot doesn't work so well, but I'll go into what you can do with a crock pot at the end.

Coat the bottom of the pot with olive oil, then toss in a couple pats of butter. Get it as hot as you can without burning the oil/butter. A tiny bit of smoke is ok but be careful not to ruin it.

Toss in the beef. Salt and pepper the ever loving shit out of it. Kosher salt is nice cuz it sticks real well.

Brown each side. Then take out the beef. Recoat the bottom of the pan with butter/olive oil as neccessary.

Cut the onions in half, peel, then cut off the tips. Toss them as they are (halves) into the pan, along with a couple cloves of garlic, and brown the flat side and the rounded side. Pull them out, cut up your carrots, and do the same.

Now take all that out, and pour in your liquid. Make sure you scrape the bottom really well and get all that delicious stuff left behind mixed up into the broth.

Then just chop your potatoes and put everything back into the liquid. Keep it hot for about 10 or 15 minutes, then take it to the lowest you can possibly get it and let it cook for 4-6 hours. Toss in some herbs like rosemary and thyme, a couple small sprigs fresh or a couple pinches of dried. And, of course, a bay leaf or 2 (don't forget to take it out at the end lol).

As to a crock pot, the main thing is that you can't really do the browning in the crock pot, so you have to scrape the bottom of your browning pan really really well to get all that stuff mixed into the broth, and then you'd transfer it over and do it all in the crock pot.

It's done when attempting to cut into the meat fails because it just falls apart instead.
    Fuck you for making me want a crock-pot.

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    Fuck you for making me want a crock-pot.
    Crock pots are really great! Everyone should get one.

Throw a bunch of ingredients in before work, come home after work to a nice, already cooked dinner. Really easy to cook healthy with a crock pot too if you know what you're doing.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Crock pots should be in every household. Hit up a garage sale, can pick one up for $5.

I got one for free last Thanksgiving. Spend $150 get a free crock-pot or some shit like that.

Glad I found this thread. The wife just brought the groceries home for the month yesterday, I will be able to find something to make in that damn crock pot for sure now!

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

It's easy to do right, hard to do wrong.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

COLD WEATHER IS COMING! PREPARE YOUR CROCKPOTS!

I slow cooked some sausage in Rao's marinara tonight with a few extra garlic cloves. Shit was good.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azull Abaddon
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

The hardest part is the waiting as your house smells better and better as the hours pass.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast