+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level

man how are there still people who don't know what The Onion is?

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    man how are there still people who don't know what The Onion is?
    Old people.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Saw it tonight. Was very very impressed. First movie I thought was a fun watch, but I thought this one was actually a really good movie.
    Spoiler: show
    The tour in the beginning was emotional as fuck lol, especially Rue's district. But they kept it going for almost the entire movie

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Boyfriend invited me over and we watched the first one, then went to the theater and saw the second one. I loved them both, went out and bought the books today and I will be reading them as soon as finals are over. (This is taking a whole lot of restraint I didn't know I possessed.) Really enjoyed them and I am dying to know what happens after the second movie.

I'm surprised at the number of people who think this is aimed at teenage girls. Unlike Twilight (which I still refuse to read/watch), I felt that it had a lot of adult undertones, particularly with the politics and oppression. Sure there's a love subplot (please point out a movie that doesn't have one) but I'm seeing that as secondary to the political plotline.

At any rate, I enjoyed these.

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Me and the lady saw it.

I actually found it enjoyable, very much so in fact.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    I'm surprised at the number of people who think this is aimed at teenage girls. Unlike Twilight (which I still refuse to read/watch), I felt that it had a lot of adult undertones, particularly with the politics and oppression. Sure there's a love subplot (please point out a movie that doesn't have one) but I'm seeing that as secondary to the political plotline.
    Oh I quite enjoy the franchise; I think the oppression/rebellion storyline is what sets it apart from both Battle Royale and Twilight. But the book is narrated from Katniss' perspective, so her seventeen year old girl mentality (realistically) dwells a bit too much on boy troubles. The movies do a good job of relegating that to the background, but the first person perspective of the books makes it unavoidable. But regardless, I'd still recommend anyone who had a decent experience watching the movie read the book. Haymitch more than offsets the petty angst with good angst.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Enjoyed Catching Fire far more than the first movie, though I also think Catching Fire was probably my favorite of the books. Definitely has the Francis Lawrence feel to it, which makes me excited for the next two as well.

P.S. Wiress/Nuts was Yolanda/Honey Bunny from Pulp Fiction.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Got a question about Haymitch.
    Did he imply that the only reason he won is because he hid the entire time? He made a comment about a few past winners doing that, then drinking all day in the years to come. I'd really like to see more of his character.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Xantavia View Post
    Did he imply that the only reason he won is because he hid the entire time? He made a comment about a few past winners doing that, then drinking all day in the years to come. I'd really like to see more of his character.
    iirc, the 3rd book addresses how he won. Or the 2nd. I forget. It gets addressed iirc, but I dont remember how exactly

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xantavia View Post

Another thing they left out of the movie, Katniss watching previous matches for pointers. Haymitch had won the 2nd Quarter Quell on the 50th anniversary. The thing about that Quell was double the tributes iirc.
    Haymitch did hide a little iirc, after forming an alliance with another District 12 girl. Towards the end when they were down to few she got taken out by some evil ass birds while he was chilling next to the force field, he finds her as she gets the killing blow and stays by her side to watch her die ala Rue . Then he finished off the last person using the forcefield to propel her own axe back into her when she threw it at him and missed, after he was pretty much disemboweled by the person holding his own intestines in and shit...
    Been a while since I read it but I remember it something like that. Fucking bloody scene in my head it's no wonder they cut it from the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Timwakefield View Post
    P.S. Wiress/Nuts was Yolanda/Honey Bunny from Pulp Fiction.
    Holy shit just realized this, nice lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Cail View Post
    iirc, the 3rd book addresses how he won. Or the 2nd. I forget. It gets addressed iirc, but I dont remember how exactly
    It was the 2nd book but in the 3rd book...
    (3rd Book Spoiler, minor though)

It's revealed how President Snow killed all of Haymitch's family and friends etc for abusing the force field trick.. That combined with seeing every person he trains to go off and die is what sends him into his drunken depression...

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Tellahh View Post

Another thing they left out of the movie, Katniss watching previous matches for pointers. Haymitch had won the 2nd Quarter Quell on the 50th anniversary. The thing about that Quell was double the tributes iirc.
    Haymitch did hide a little iirc, after forming an alliance with another District 12 girl. Towards the end when they were down to few she got taken out by some evil ass birds while he was chilling next to the force field, he finds her as she gets the killing blow and stays by her side to watch her die ala Rue . Then he finished off the last person using the forcefield to propel her own axe back into her when she threw it at him and missed, after he was pretty much disemboweled by the person holding his own intestines in and shit...
    Been a while since I read it but I remember it something like that. Fucking bloody scene in my head it's no wonder they cut it from the movie.

It was the 2nd book but in the 3rd book...
    (3rd Book Spoiler, minor though)

It's revealed how President Snow killed all of Haymitch's family and friends etc for abusing the force field trick.. That combined with seeing every person he trains to go off and die is what sends him into his drunken depression...
    Oh yea..........

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

Amazing how not-hot they can make such a damn-fine woman look with a bad hairstyle.

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

New trailer (I think?):

Oh so this twilight 6 is the reason Natalie Dormer has her retarded haircut?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

These books and movies are far better than twilight.

And yes, this is the role Natalie Dormer shaved the side of her head for.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    New trailer (I think?)
    Yeah, it's a SDCC teaser. Part of it was leaked earlier today.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Snprphnx View Post
    These books and movies are far better than twilight.
    Ok let's put this comparison to rest. The single reason you can distinguish Hunger Games from Twilight is that Katniss has a purpose to her existence besides her love interest(s). They certainly play a large part in her life and in the plot -- but no more than any other protagonist who has his/her loved ones used as a means to coerce and manipulate. Bella's sole purpose is to be an object or pursuit and affection.

Which is precisely why there's a plot to Hunger Games independent of the love interests involving politics, rebellion, etc. And why Twilight is literally nothing but the relationship.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast