+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

Just saw it and I agree on the shaky camera, it was driving me nuts. A lot of the emotional stuff was left out, and it seemed to move really fast. My friend who hadn't read the book had to ask a lot of questions about what was happening and why at certain points. That being said he liked it a lot more than I did, and I read the book. I was a little let down, but it was an entertaining watch none the less. I thought the second and third books weren't as good as the first, so I'm curious as to how the movies will turn out

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I hated Gale's casting, loved Peeta's casting. Gale looked about 30. Also thought the movie felt rushed, but for a 2.5 hour movie, it was really well paced for someone who may not have read the books. I read a review on RT that said they felt the movie pushed the love angle way too hard, much harder than the book. I felt the exact opposite.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    i just read these. they are def for 13 year old girls. glad to see i was so spot on with my earlier posts. holy shit. could have been a good story if it was written by a man that knew what the fuck. also the whole third book was a bucket of lol.

you guys are all teenage girls.

^

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

GRRM ruined reading for me.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I should preface my complaints that saying I thought the movie was good(7 out of 10 range), but it had some flaws.

I thought the political blowback from everything she did from volunteering, going to the capital, and how she acted in the games was downplayed. All we really saw was district 11 rioting for a minute and Snow being bitchy.

I also thought the PG-13 rating did not allow for the brutality of the games to be shown and, as such, lessened the impact. If we had maybe more reactions of how horrible the districts see the games, maybe that would have worked as well.

I thought Jennifer Lawrence did a fantastic job as Katniss, the actor who played Peeta was great as well. Elizabeth Banks was spot on as Effie. I liked that Haymitch wasn't as divisive as he was in the books. Woody did a good job at making him likable for a selfish drunk and I think it will make the plot developments in the second and third movies make more sense.

Also, fucking tracker jackers. fucking hate wasps.

I'm going to spoiler my question for anyone who hasn't seen or read the books. I need someone who has read the books though, as I have not.

Spoiler: show
    Ok, so in the movie I felt she was in love with Gale and didn't even know Peeta existed. And then all of a sudden BOOM love with him? She was only gone from Gale what, two three weeks? Can someone explain how this went down in the books?
    Was this overplayed in the movie? Something not all happening in the books? Bah!

Also, when they got back what happened to her and Gale's romance? Thanks, this is bothering me.

BG Level

Gale is more an other half than a romantic interest in the first book, Katniss doesn't "think of him that way" or anyone that way, too busy focusing on the survival of her family. she loves him and relies upon him but it is not truly romantic

her romance with Peeta is mostly manufactured because Haymitch indirectly communicates with her that the sappy romance angle is what the audience wants to see and it's how they will get survival gifts from sponsors / it's the only way both of them can live. she does remember him fondly for the kindness he once did her in the bakery and generally likes him but the "love" is mostly just a ploy to win the games though there are burgeoning feelings under there

Gale gets mad jelly and the love triangle is further explored and resolved in the following novels

Thank you. I'll be reading the books shortly, but I needed a bit of closure on some of that.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

If you have half a brain, I think a lot of stuff that is left for the viewer to figure out is pretty self explanatory from the movie; coming from some one who hasn't read the books. I really wasn't left with any questions other then "Ok, what happens next?".

I thought it was pretty well done, even though the entire movie I couldn't help but draw correlations to "Battle Royale", if any of you have seen that movie. I'd give it a 7 or 8/10. You can tell you'd get a lot of stuff fleshed out if you read the book, which in turns makes the movie less enjoyable for you, but I think it's well done overall.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Read all three books. I think it was about as well done as you could expect, though I agree with this:

I also thought the PG-13 rating did not allow for the brutality of the games to be shown and, as such, lessened the impac
    Casting was superb, though. I wasn't initially sold on Donald Sutherland as Snow (for some reason, I just pictured him looking slightly younger).

What do they call the Hunger Games in Paris?

I have been to see the film and I quite enjoyed it. I felt the action scenes very underwhelming because of having seen Battle Royale but I thought it was a decent film and I'm interested in seeing the districts uprise and bring down the capital's hold on them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    If you have half a brain, I think a lot of stuff that is left for the viewer to figure out is pretty self explanatory from the movie; coming from some one who hasn't read the books. I really wasn't left with any questions other then "Ok, what happens next?".

I thought it was pretty well done, even though the entire movie I couldn't help but draw correlations to "Battle Royale", if any of you have seen that movie. I'd give it a 7 or 8/10. You can tell you'd get a lot of stuff fleshed out if you read the book, which in turns makes the movie less enjoyable for you, but I think it's well done overall.

Not sure if calling me an idiot or actually...

Regardless, my questions were basically, did they put this in there just for the sake of the movies, or was is it true to the books.

I love books, this is one of the very few times I saw a movie before reading. And it just struck me as awkward that it seemed awkward (how the Gale/Katniss/Peeta thing played out) so my question was basically just how it played out in the books.

Not just omg what happened, but rather, did they change a lot of the "love plot" scenario for movie goers.

I loved the movie, though. Also having seen Battle Royale it was similar in plot, but I think this one really hit home moreso with me. It seemed more strained, realistic.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

No, wasn't calling you stupid.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Makwa Ironwill
    FFXIV Server
    Brynhildr
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Meh movie, but I haven't read the books. Friend's girlfriend took the two of us to see it. The shaky camera really killed a lot of scenes for me, couldn't tell what the fuck was going on.
    Also, fuck those bees, fun to watch though. The dogs were great, saw the 'shocker' moment coming, got a good laugh seeing the entire theater jump at the same time.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Seconding this; as someone else that didn't read the books, if you're paying attention things are laid out pretty well, if even a little bit subtle (something I didn't expect at all going in to the movie).

Reading some reviews, it seems like the biggest complaints people have are about the shakey-cam and the lack of gore, which it seems both had the exact opposite effect on me and made the movie seem much more real. It's from Katniss' prospective, so when a fight or something intense is going on you aren't going to have a clear idea of what's happening, its just a quick blur. I didn't really realize that until
    She makes her first kill. She sees someone and reacts all within a second, and it doesn't even sink in that shes just killed someone until she looks back over at the body

There's no brutality and triumphant fanfare playing in the background when there's a kill. There's a quick scuffle, and someone is dead. It really shows how dangerous and easy it is to die in the games.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

That's a part of my favorite scene. The quick kill, then noticing the girl from sector 11 is killed. Then she lays the body to rest with the flowers, and does her salute thing, and all of sector 11 does it, right before revolting. Shit was so powerful...

Quote Originally Posted by Shiro View Post
    Reading some reviews, it seems like the biggest complaints people have are about the shakey-cam and the lack of gore, which it seems both had the exact opposite effect on me and made the movie seem much more real.
    I was mostly annoyed with the Shaky cam when there was no fighting. In the beginning, when Effie is announcing who the tributes will be, the camera gets in very tight on her mouth, her eyes, it rotates around the microphone, zooming in and out, almost spinning around her... Completely unnecessary.

Earlier in the movie, when showing District 11's poverty, the shaky camera does quick pans, zooming in and out, showing old people sitting on porches, broken homes, and bland colors. There's no ACTION happening here to necessitate the need for the shaky camera.

If you pay attention to both of these scenes, you'll notice that the scenery was, for lack of a better term, not given a big production budget. If the camera actually stood still, you would think it was a straight to TV movie because of the lackluster amount of detail put into both district 11 and the reaping.

What I am getting at is this, shaky cameras are not always used to let the audience feel like they are a 'part of the action.' In my opinion, it's also used to hide from the audience a lackluster production budget. And this movie is no exception.

District 11 girl:
    I thought it was stupid that they showed what was happening in district 11 after Rue dies. I REALLY WISH they had included a scene in the movie where Peeta, as a breadmaker, would identify that each community has it's own bread. Perhaps they could have shown all the bread at one of the feasts provided to the tributes and have Peeta explain the differences. It was a really powerful moment in the book where District 11 sent Katniss the bread of District 11. Instead, a black guy (presumably Rue's father) incites a riot.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I thought one of the most emotional moments in the book was when Rue's district sent the bread. Sad it wasn't in there.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Now that I know that happens instead of the riot in the book, I wish that was in the movie instead =(.

They probably went with what they did though because of the ending, with the man in charge of the games not wanting them to both die and become martyrs; especially with district 11 already rioting. It all fits in with the same theme.

Although now that I think about it, district 11 rioting makes little sense now, when for the past 74 years they hadn't rioted when their tribute died.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Kwijiboe View Post
    Shakey cam stuff
    I can concede that. I understand how that sort of thing could detract from the movie, but shouldn't really kill the rest of the positive stuff that came out of it like I'm seeing some other people talking about.

I felt like the riot was more a result of the district having been at the breaking point for a long time, and with Katniss being the beacon of "too much hope", as the president put it, seeing what happened just pushed them over the edge.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast