+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Scion FR-S, Toyota GT 86, Subaru BRZ

Gearheads and non-gearheads, what's your opinion on the new Toyobaru? What do you like about it and what do you dislike about it? And what would you want done with it now that it's officially announced?

Personally I think it's an awesome concept, but the price is what's probably gonna keep me from getting one in the near future!

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

I'll be sticking to my wrx lol

I'd continue to remain apprehensive about any Toyota (and all companies owned by) sports car after the beautiful failure that was the Supra.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Looks pretty fucking hot. I love the concept, love the fact that they're spreading it across 3 platforms, and love the fact that its supposed to be highly customizable. Sadly (for the car companies, not myself), I've got a brand new 2011 2ss Camaro, so yeah, no chance of me getting one, but my brother is pretty interested.

Edit: I miss the Supra. Such an awesome car.

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Call me old fashioned but I like the styling on the original 86. Not my cup of tea. Heard good stuff so far. Don't think it'll be as big as it's supposed to be. The racing model of the BRZ tho looks badass but then again everything in racing form does!

Yeah there is a lot of hype about it. Of course i just wish they would hurry up and release details on the MPG and the price :/

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I'd continue to remain apprehensive about any Toyota (and all companies owned by) sports car after the beautiful failure that was the Supra.
    The Supra would be a reason to persuade people to choose Toyota sports cars not dissuade them.

Edit: Poor attempt at trolling, not worth the effort. ^^/

The Supra was a lot of horsepower with none of it going to the wheel

http://www.ft86club.com/

Pics vids tons of info.

Subaru pricing is going to be 24k and 27k for limited

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Super excited.

Of course, seeing as how I switched to a Mazdaspeed 3 about 3 months ago, I'm not going to be buying one (need more practicality than a sports coupe presents).

Toyota and Subaru are latched onto something that more and more carbuyers (read: magazine racers) seem to have forgotten: it's more fun to drive a comparatively slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow. Not that the FR-S or BRZ are slow in the absolute sense of the word, but neither was made for standing quarter miles or out-gunning a GT-R around the Nerdburgring. They should be fast enough to get out of their own way, and slow enough that you can actually use more than a tiny fraction of what the car has on offer without a trip to a track. I can't believe that Toyota of all people would build a car for that, but not everyone needs, wants, or fits into a Miata, so there needs to be an alternative.

I love that it is small, light, simple, RWD, and that both Toyota and Subaru are basically begging for people to mod the shit out of them. It's a shame that the factory setup has to be just a touch conservative to keep the teenage girls who'll want one because it's cute from killing themselves, but by the same token it won't take a ton of money to have an incredibly fun track/auto-x toy.

I do kind of hope that a turbo version comes down the pipe at some point, but at the same time, NA throttle response is addictive, and in a car that's made for maximum Fun Per Gallon and not maximum magazine numbers, compromised throttle response is not an exciting proposition. If they do make an STI version, I hope they use a smaller turbo and don't try to go bonkers on outright power. I'll gladly sacrifice maximum power for less turbo lag and a more useful powerband. I'd rather have a boatload of torque at useful engine speeds rather than a really high peak HP number and no boost to speak of under 4000 RPM. Especially for a car like the FR-S/BRZ.

Well the engine that is in the BRZ and FR-S has such a high compression rate that it doesn't support a turbo application in its current format. It's likely that when an STI version comes out it'll be the 2.0 Litre engine that they are designing entirely from scratch for the WRX. So until the WRX comes out I wouldn't bet on a turbo application.

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by *Shinzon* View Post
    Well the engine that is in the BRZ and FR-S has such a high compression rate that it doesn't support a turbo application in its current format. It's likely that when an STI version comes out it'll be the 2.0 Litre engine that they are designing entirely from scratch for the WRX. So until the WRX comes out I wouldn't bet on a turbo application.
    I don't disagree, but high compression is largely a function of the piston design, so it's as simple as swapping pistons to fix that part of the problem.

The bigger issue, and why there is a lag for the WRX/STI to move to a new engine, is that the FB20 block isn't strong enough to support the pressure & heat from a high-boost turbo application. The quick & dirty fix would be to sleeve the cylinders, drop in low compression pistons, and probably toss in a higher-flow fuel pump & injectors, since I doubt the direct injection system in the BRZ/FR-S has enough juice to safely add a bunch of boost.

New Merits
    BG Level

unless they make a boosted brz... my sti isn't going anywhere
    awesome track/autox car though. I saw in a video about the gt300 you can see an intercooler in the engine bay.. so I'll keep my hopes up

I feel like it's gonna end up being the modern-day s2k

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

^ Nothing wrong with that, seeing as how Honda has gone full-blown "Boring Mid-Sized Sedan" on the world and lost anything that resembles passion about cars.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    The Supra was a lot of horsepower with none of it going to the wheel
    watlol

Should have been more accurate in saying the Supra was a lot of horsepower that wasn't translated to actual top speed

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Unless you modded it, then you're sitting on an absolute beast. But really, what Supra owner -didn't- mod the shit out of that car? The engine was dying to be taken to 1kHP. I have friends with Supras with so much power and torque that they shred asphalt, and unless you think a top end of around 185+ (and the power to get their swiftly) is slow, I think this discussion is heading in the wrong direction.

2JZ is a good on paper engine lol. I've raced plenty of 800-1kHP supras in my RX-7 and haven't lost yet and I'm only pushing 550 on 93 and 16psi, can tune much higher but I drive it pretty often. The car was too heavy and the engine was too big, that's why the 13B/RB26/SR20 (hell even KA24 with some high performance replacements) can outperform on the right platforms.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

And yet, had they simply continued to update the car like so many undeserving vehicles currently on the market, the Supra could have been far better. There's nothing more than seeing cars like the Supra relegated to "old school" status because car companies became obsessed with SUV crossovers and mid-sized sedans. That's why I'm so pleased to see these 3 (really one, but still) cars come out.

Like I said it's a gorgeous car, for me it came down to RX-7 or Supra and performance wise that's an easy choice as they look very similar. It costs a hell of a lot more to mod an RX-7 though fuck me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast