Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Last night on both the PS.Blog US and PS.Blog EU - we posted screenshots from a gameplay demo of The Last of Us that only the staff of Game Informer got to see. Up until now, these screenshots and the overview of what happened in the demo were only available within the pages of the March issue of Game Informer (or the digital version). We've cross-posted the text from the PS.Blog posts below - along with all the screenshots.

February has been a month flush with new information about The Last of Us trickling out from a variety of websites, magazines and more that have visited the Naughty Dog studio over the past three months. One of the more in-depth looks at The Last of Us came from the US publication Game Informer, who put together a cover story hub for all the OTHER information they managed to squeeze out of us from a very, very short visit.

The most important part of their visit, to me, was that we were able to show a well-polished, nearly fifteen minute game demo of The Last of Us. The gameplay demo starts with Joel and Ellie driving down a highway congested with abandoned vehicles, eventually encountering another survivor who looks hurt and is limping towards their pickup truck. Surprisingly, Joel hits the accelerator and just before he barrels into the survivor, he pulls out a gun and shoots at Joel – missing Joel and only breaking the windshield. With this immediate threat behind them, Joel doesn’t have time to react as another survivor in the group rolls a bus downhill towards Joel and Ellie, broad siding them and sending the truck careening into a long-abandoned convenience store.

This is where the gameplay begins – a very tense, deliberate overview of the unique AI for The Last of Us, how the balance of power between weapons creates an atmosphere of extreme tension in combat, exploring the environment and scavenging, and the relationship between Joel and Ellie – both in-combat and out of combat.

Joel and Ellie are immediately besieged by the group of survivors, leading to a brutal melee sequence with Joel before other survivors reveal that they have a gun and start shooting at Joel. This tips the balance of power until Joel can draw his own gun and then both sides are taking cover and moving around to try to get a good shot off. When Joel’s pistol clicks, revealing he has no ammunition, the remaining survivor thinks he’s got the upper hand and moves much more aggressively since he still has a gun with ammo. Just when he thinks he’s got Joel, Ellie whips a brick at him, stunning him long enough for Joel to take him out via melee attacks.

But this was only the first wave of this group of survivors after Joel and Ellie. A new pack arrive in the convenience store, carrying a variety of weapons and Joel and Ellie duck out a broken window to reassess the situation and figure out how they can get out of here alive. What ensues are several minutes of cat and mouse and Joel and Ellie diligently work to take out each of the survivors one-by-one until none remain.

With the combat behind them, Joel and Ellie banter back and forth while they thoroughly explore the environment for anything that they can scavenge that may be useful to them. The exploration takes them through an abandoned building where the survivors apparently were camped out (and killing innocent people) to another roadway choked with abandoned vehicles – strangely beautiful as nature has really overgrown everything – as they head towards the bridge that is their only way out of this city, and any other survivors with less than noble intentions.

ALL of the screenshots were taken directly from our gameplay demo – yes, actual gameplay. I think they do a great job of representing a decent slice of the beauty and destruction present in the environments, and of the exploration and brutal nature of conflict in the world of The Last of Us.

The team has been cranking away at building more to the game and story of The Last of Us since we last hosted visitors – we can’t wait to pull back the curtain just a little more when the time comes.
    http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/...s_screenshots/
    http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/...-in-one-place/
    http://www.gameinformer.com/p/lastofus.aspx
    http://www.lastofus.com/agegate.html

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Damn that girl in the screenshot looks like Ellen Page. <3

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Reznuh
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

i just read all of the rise of the governor on a flight, i am such in the mood for this miserable shit. looks awesome.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I preferred the slighty older Ellie as opposed to this new, younger Ellie. She sounds silly cursing too heh

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'm loving the music.

Little Mother
    BG Level

It really seems like everything Dead Island was supposed to be from it's trailer. The most recent one really has me sold on this game. Looking forward to it.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Game looks so good.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

This and WatchDog looks awesome... gonna be a good year for games.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Yeah, WatchDog is another game I'm looking forward too. Too bad they haven't revealed a release date for WatchDog

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBreeze View Post
    It really seems like everything Dead Island was supposed to be from it's trailer. The most recent one really has me sold on this game. Looking forward to it.
    Was kind of thinking the same thing. Really wasn't sold on the idea of the game until this most recent show of it.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Yoshida confirmed the news when talking about the company’s line-up for next year, confirming the near-future focus was providing growth and investing respectively in PlayStation Vita.

“We are not ready to talk about 2013. But some of the games we showed like God of War and The Last of Us are not coming out this year,” he said in an E3 interview due to go live shortly.

“We will talk more about what our line-up of games will be like in 2013. PS Vita we just launched. It’s been just four months.

“It’s its second year next year; it’s a really crucial year for us so we will continue to invest in making games from our first party studio standpoint, and at the same time, we would like to see more publishers do games like Assassin’s Creed III Liberation; that is fantastic.”

This is the first time a release date for the game has been narrowed by either Sony or Naughty Dog down since its announce at the VGAs last December. An early 2012 or early 2013 release had been previously on the cards for the new IP from the Uncharted developer
    http://www.vg247.com/2012/06/06/no-2...firms-yoshida/

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I like these end of days type of games, will be getting this for sure, also the game play also looks very much like uncharted a style which they have down very well

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

They call me Lord Null for a reason.
    BG Level

Fuckin damnit! This is already one of my favorite games of all time...and I haven't even played it.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

So, is Ellie based on Ellen Page? I can't stop seeing Juno.

Damn it Kuro...

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by lathia View Post
    So, is Ellie based on Ellen Page? I can't stop seeing Juno.

Damn it Kuro...
    There has been many a joke about how this game and Beyond both having Ellen Page. And this is after The Last of us changed how their character looks to make her not look so Ellen Page-ish

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Screen caps & Concept art;

Spoiler: show

That dawn of the wolf movie poster in the HD image made me chuckle.