Page 6 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast
    okay guy I guess
    BG Level

[[removed]]

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Jesus, that sounds really good - more than expected.

It kind of seems like RDR's Undead Nightmare.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Word on the streets the game's ending has been leaked. So watch out for spoilers.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...layer-preview/
    For a game with as much hype and as big a spotlight shining on it as The Last of Us, it’s incredibly odd that only a week or so before the game hits store shelves is the curtain being pulled back on the game’s multiplayer mode. It’s even more fascinating yet, that with a global review embargo lifting in just two days’ time, an already taxed for time editor like myself (with E3 quickly approaching) is depleting his stock of words—of thoughts—to preview the game’s multiplayer. To truly find out the reasoning behind this course of action, you’ll have to tune back in to PlayStation LifeStyle on June 5th at 7AM PDT/10AM EDT. But for now, this is Factions mode in The Last of Us.

Strength in numbers. Survival of the fittest. You’ve heard these terms used before, but have you ever really had to put these old adages to task? In The Last of Us Factions mode, these are the words you’ll live and die by.

It’s a couple decades after the initial Cordyceps outbreak, and the population has been decimated. If you’re not infected, you’re left fighting for scraps to survive. And unfortunately for you, there are many others fighting for those same resources. Banding together with other like-minded survivors gives you the strength in numbers you need to survive, but ensuring you’re the most fit for the tasks at hand yourself is still the best way to stay alive. And the best way to take the lives of those that seek to take yours.

TLOU-MP-preview2

Whether you decide to roll with the Fireflies or the Hunters matters little. What ultimately holds more weight is how hard you fight to keep your clan healthy by securing supplies, and so you come out of each situation unscathed and still breathing.

Factions, the multiplayer portion of The Last of Us is split into only two modes—and that’s all that’s really necessary. Supply Raid and Survivors. Both play very similarly, but with a few minor tweaks that drastically affect the approach you might take to survive.

Supply Raid is exactly what it sounds like it is. You and a team of survivors must survey an area to gather supplies—both for you and your arsenal, and to feed and nourish the sick and unhealthy members of your faction or clan. Strewn about each map—well-designed for staying hidden and attacking using stealthy tactics—are supply chests. They’re usually out in the open, making you a sitting duck if an onlooker wielding a lit Molotov happens to be eying that same chest. But each chest contains supplies vital for your clan’s survival, and yours alone.

TLOU-MP-preview1

Aside from the few bullets you begin each round with, locating and securing supplies are the only means to craft health kits to heal you, bombs to take out targets, or to upgrade a melee weapon to be more effective. Each chest also contains parts, which become a currency of sorts to purchase more bullets or better weapons. And with how scarce bullets are, and how quickly you can empty a clip, scavenging these supplies is necessary to surviving a match. Crafting takes downtime, so teamwork becomes vital so you have someone watching your back and protecting your neck while you get to work. This is strength in numbers.

In Survival Raid, there is a set number of lives you either have to take or lose for a winning faction to be chosen, and you will continue to respawn until that number is met on either side. Between respawns, supplies carry over, so fret not if you were shot in the back while crafting a nail bomb; revenge will be yours.

Survivors mode is more survival of the fittest, although teamwork can be a factor in this mode, too. What matters most here, though, is being the last one standing at the end of the match. This means killing everyone else around you to get supplies, because it’s not just chests the hold supplies—the freshly fallen corpses of others do too. And you have to kill to take them. It’s them or you.

TLOU-MP-preview4

If you are killed, or just wounded (this is my favorite part), there’s anywhere between a few to as much as twenty seconds before you are executed, revived, or you bleed out. In these twenty seconds, though, you don’t just lie on the ground hoping someone comes along to save you or put you out of your misery to respawn. Instead you frantically scramble along the ground, desperately trying to flee from a brutal execution, or to get over to your teammates so they can patch you up. It really adds to the feeling of panic and survival, and gives a sense of finality to the last moments before dying.

Survivors mode is a best of seven rounds format. The supplies go to the team that can win four of the seven rounds by having the last man, or men, standing at the end of the match. There’s not respawning, so using what supplies you do find and are able to craft should be part of the plan each and every round. So should buying up all the weaponry and ammo you can in between rounds to give you the competitive edge.

As with any robust multiplayer offering, winning and performing individual tasks during gameplay unlock points to use to bolster your player, modify his look, and customize your loadout. One time use boosters grant single match abilities, while other boosts are there to stay. Finding out your own play style and customizing your boosts and abilities is paramount for long-term longevity as both a Faction and as a survivor.

TLOU-MP-preview3

The gameplay focuses on stealth, mainly, although the only reason why you shouldn’t go into a situation guns blazing, is that there’s a risk you could be killed too. You can do it, though—should you choose to take that risk. It all compliments the gameplay from the single player mode extremely well. As any tasty side dish might compliment the main course. But multiplayer Factions mode is a delicious side dish you’ll keep coming back for and could easily fill up on, and be satisfied with completely and independently from the entrée.

After days of fletcherizing, I’m still digesting. But I’ll be ready to spill my guts on The Last of Us in my full review, scheduled to go live the moment the global embargo lifts on June 5th. Only 48 hours and counting.
    more previews:
    http://www.nowgamer.com/features/194...the_facts.html
    http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/...orth_surviving
    http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/06/...ed-and-tested/

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

The Last of Us is two-for-two when it comes to perfect scores. We're still a few days from Sony lifting the embargo on global reviews for the highly anticipated game from Naughty Dog, but a leaked review and some early copies of the OPM UK magazine have both indicated The Last of Us is best game of this generation -- or possibly ever.

According to multiple sources who received the latest issue of OPM UK, the magazine scored The Last of Us a perfect 10 out of 10.
    "A work of art in which amazing sights and sounds fuel an emotionally draining, constantly compelling end of days adventure. This is Naughty Dog pushing the PS3 to its absolute limit. Over to you PS4," the review states (via a Gamespot user).
    http://www.gamezone.com/news/2013/06...-perfect-score

I predict a 9.5 from IGN's Moriarty only because of multiplayer. Hope I'm wrong.

Tio Derp
    DHC Glitch of the House of Weave

BG Level

I'm looking forward to this for sure, but the video has me concerned that melee might be a bit OP in multiplayer and will end up with most players running to chicken piece people (similar to Gears back in the day) instead of using tactics and gunplay.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Not gonna lie, the multiplayer sounds pretty fucking awesome. Glad to see it's not some half assed tack on.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

That looked beyond amazing. I need to scrounge up $60 to get this. Are there any good pre order deals still happening?

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Gamestop i think for done dlc

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Looks amazing.

So mad that this is coming out here on Friday like it does on Europe. I'm never home with my ps3 on the weekends

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Ok, officially a day 1 now. Someone needs to make a BG clan.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    That looked beyond amazing. I need to scrounge up $60 to get this. Are there any good pre order deals still happening?
    GameStop. They have both of the DLC packs from both special editions of the game for free with all preorders. Outside of that I don't think there's really much of anything else anywhere else.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Video not available on Youtube atm

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I'm not surprised that this is getting near perfect reviews everywhere.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Moriarty's first 10 I believe. The Dogs did it. Sessler's second 5/5 at Rev3:

Not watching either video, Uncharted 3's review vids had wayyyyy too many spoilers.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    Ok, officially a day 1 now. Someone needs to make a BG clan.
    I am in.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Polygon and Gamespot's reviews will simply keep it from a 98 metacritic score. This is going to be the longest week ever.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast