Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Bumping this shit so we have more awesome recipes etc.

Also looking for some decent recipes including Black Beans. Wife wants to try to lose a few pounds and I've been told black beans is a good staple for dieting. Ideas?

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Really if you want to diet with good food look into Pho.

I found some Beef Pho mix at the asian market in town, just grab stuff like bean sprouts, mint, rice noodles, thin sliced meats, and Siracha and its a good quick meal with little calories.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I may have to check that out Kaslo. I've never tried Pho before.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Best thing to get an idea is find a Vietnamese restaurant in the area and go order it.

Pho is absolutely amazing if you find someone who makes the stock right. Even bad pho is good. I found an old Vietnamese guy who literally lives pho. He starts making it the night before, and comes in at 3AM to check up on it and continue cooking. It's worth the 30 minute drive :D

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'm not sure I can convince my wife to try it though. She's not a fan of food that comes from anyone with some form of slanted eyes.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

best condiment in the whole world, i probably use this more than sriracha, Sweet Soy Sauce
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rBMBk4bzL.jpg

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Pho is pretty amazing. Like Pirian said, it's all about the stock. I've made it a few times now using something like the following:

Oven roast or grill some whole onions and fresh ginger if you can get your hands on it. Just roast them until they start to turn brown/charred. 1 of each is fine
    Par boil some beef bones in water for 5-10 mins or so, just to remove any crappy bits left over from the butchering process. Any bones will do, but make sure you get some marrow in there.
    Drain the water and refill the pot. The ratio of bones:water is debatable, if you've ever made bone stock before, just go with that recipe. Put the roasted ginger and onion in the pot too.
    Spices are optional really. if anything, i'll throw in some peppercorns and whole toasted coriander (toast it in a pan on low heat for like 5 mins)
    Simmer everything for 3-5 hours depending on how much stock you're making.
    Drain out the stock, toss out all the left overs.

The broth alone if pretty awesome, you can put whatever the hell you want in a bowl and pour the stock over it. I usually go with grilled and thinly sliced chicken (just season with salt and pepper and grill or pan fry it, pork/beef work too), bean sprouts, cilantro, chinese noodles (no idea what they're really called, just looks for the egg/flower noodles you would normally get in lo-mein). Siracha is always good to top it all off, or if you're feeling baller, make your own chili sauce:

Food processor works fine for this. Toss in some fresh red chilies (the standard red long thin supermarket chilies work fine) garlic, hoisin, honey, soy sauce, and a little bit of apple cider vinegar, and just pulverize it to a salsa-like consistency. I honestly dont have an exact recipe, but I'd say 1 glove of garlic for every 7-8 chilis. The hoisin is optional. I like it kinda sweet so i go about 50:50 on the honey:soy, and maybe 1/8 those 2 combined, in vinegar.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

^ And this is why I will always love you you fat galka bitch. You give me step by step directions.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    ^ And this is why I will always love you you fat galka bitch. You give me step by step directions.
    Just go to the restaurant. Making Pho broth takes hours. And fish oil stinks in the up and is a key ingrediant. Lol.Sliced Beef is a good way to get started. If you're adventurous get the house with other pieces of the cow. Besides "Pho" you can also enjoy the grilled chicken or pork rice dishes. Viet sub sammiches are good too. A lot of fresh veggies, filled with bbq chicken, pork or pattey.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

One thing I forgot: skim the pot while it's simmering. The foamy crap that floats to the top is no good. As for the Fish sauce, I've never used it myself. I found that recipe a year or two ago and just made minor adjustments here and there each additional time I've made the soup. Maybe I'll give it a try next time.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

dont forget to throw in some star anise and cinnamon sticks in there, that's like pho's signature flavor.

contributing

something at work from today

chicken & avocado BLT, these are the tops and bottoms, thesel have another texas toast in the middle. Each layer slathered with a mixture of dijon mustard and mayo.

oh these were made into 3 sandwiches, not 1 >.>

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7229/6...7ae97975_b.jpg

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I would have preferred it being just one sandwich!!!!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

If I can eat it all in one sitting without putting it down, it's one sandwich. That's one sandwich.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ganondorf View Post
    Pho is pretty amazing. Like Pirian said, it's all about the stock. I've made it a few times now using something like the following:

Oven roast or grill some whole onions and fresh ginger if you can get your hands on it. Just roast them until they start to turn brown/charred. 1 of each is fine
    Par boil some beef bones in water for 5-10 mins or so, just to remove any crappy bits left over from the butchering process. Any bones will do, but make sure you get some marrow in there.
    Drain the water and refill the pot. The ratio of bones:water is debatable, if you've ever made bone stock before, just go with that recipe. Put the roasted ginger and onion in the pot too.
    Spices are optional really. if anything, i'll throw in some peppercorns and whole toasted coriander (toast it in a pan on low heat for like 5 mins)
    Simmer everything for 3-5 hours depending on how much stock you're making.
    Drain out the stock, toss out all the left overs.

The broth alone if pretty awesome, you can put whatever the hell you want in a bowl and pour the stock over it. I usually go with grilled and thinly sliced chicken (just season with salt and pepper and grill or pan fry it, pork/beef work too), bean sprouts, cilantro, chinese noodles (no idea what they're really called, just looks for the egg/flower noodles you would normally get in lo-mein). Siracha is always good to top it all off, or if you're feeling baller, make your own chili sauce:

Food processor works fine for this. Toss in some fresh red chilies (the standard red long thin supermarket chilies work fine) garlic, hoisin, honey, soy sauce, and a little bit of apple cider vinegar, and just pulverize it to a salsa-like consistency. I honestly dont have an exact recipe, but I'd say 1 glove of garlic for every 7-8 chilis. The hoisin is optional. I like it kinda sweet so i go about 50:50 on the honey:soy, and maybe 1/8 those 2 combined, in vinegar.
    Just want to make some quick correction

It's really important to have a nice clear broth when you making Pho. So after you Par boil the beef bones for 3 minutes, dump the water and bones in the sink and wash it with warm water. Do that for about 3 times.

Spices are not optional. It's required. Peppercorns and coariander aren't the right spices either. To make a good pho, you'll need to roast funnels & Cinnamon stick (Saigon brand) before adding it to the stock, as well as star anise if you like its strong flavor. I personally dislike it because it's too overpower and kill the overall flavor.
    Minimal simmering is about 4 hours. And I would also recommend to use Oxtails (They're figgin awesome after 4 hours of simmering)

And grilled chicken is a NO-NO D:
    Try beef chuck, rump, brisket or cross rib roast, you'll find them so much more satisfy...as well as raw eye of round, sirloin, London broil or tri-tip steak, thinly sliced.

And as far as veggie go, don't use the regular cilantro as it doesn't really fit well with Pho. Thorny cilantro (http://www.caribbeanseeds.com/culantro.jpg) is what you really want. You can find it at most asian market. It's essentially is the most important veggie to go with Pho ( And basil, bean sprout as you mentioned)

I have tried a lot of hot sauce to go with Siracha but really nothing sit better with it than Siracha. You can also put an equal amount of Hoisin sauce & Siracha in a dipping sauce and use it to dip the meat. It's pure awesome.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Made black bean burritos last night.

Washed off the black beans to cut down on the sodium. Poured in half a can of enchilada sauce with the beans. Stirred in half a packet of taco seasoning, a teaspoon of cayenne pepper, and some diced jalapenos. Combined this with a can of refried beans. Topped off the mixture with a slice of mozzarella cheese, shredded lettuce, and some sour cream.

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

homemade ramen

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Nice Dole.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Spoiler: show

dole edit:
    Fuck, didn't mean to do that. sorry.

Zet re-edit:

These are soft-shell crabs.

They are made with mystery and sekrits.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Also,

I got a whole pork loin (10lbs) and butchered it down to 7oz single portions and a few roasts (saved the fat and wrapped them in it)

This was my latest dish to come out of my pigging out

Spoilered for big
    Spoiler: show

Recipe is pretty simple

2 pork chops (7-9oz) about 1 1/2 inches thick
    carrots
    white onions
    scallions
    whole garlic gloves (I used 2, it wasn't that garlicky)
    Little bit of olive oil (one capful iirc)

Get a pan (I used my cast iron which I cook all pork in)
    Medium heat, add oil
    Hot heat
    Sear the pork chops for 2 minutes a side (I underdid the one in the picture, should be browner)
    Rough chop on all veggies except garlic (Just smash and peel the whole clove in)
    Put veggies in your crockpot as a base
    Put pork chops on top
    deglaze pan with water (or wine/beer if you are a chef-type person) and add dripping to crockpot.
    Add spices (I use a LOT of cajun seasonings and most people don't like it so your mileage will vary)
    I use: Zatarain's liquid crab boil (The concentrated shit, just a little bit, shit is spicy)
    white pepper, sea salt, a little bit of curry powder and I add cayenne as it's cooking.

Cook on high for a little while (an hour maybe) to get everything rolling then lower to low for about 5-6 hours.

Note: This is best used for sandwiches or used in further dishes (a gumbo, stew or soup) because it won't be very pork chop-py when it's done.

Another note: I was a boss with my garlic and shoved it into the chops. You can do this to. Small knife, little cut, SHOVE REALLY HARD.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag