BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deecup Delight
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi View Post
    Also, difference between fucking around and not fucking around in crystarium seems pretty significant to me, though it's not like you can't still finish/plat the game without it.
    Yeah, it's pretty significant, but for just completing the game it isn't needed. Iirc for the story I didn't even break 300 atk/mag on either char on my JP playthrough (not all jobs maxed obviously).

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I am almost done with chapter 3 and the one thing I can't get around is the fact that they put Kingdom Hearts in my Final Fantasy.

Also, is there any other costumes in the game, or are they all just DLC?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

For optimal build, which bonuses should be priority when crystarium levels up, unlocking all the roles?

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

And to add to that, how many total crystarium level up bonuses are there?

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Well i didn't know the crystarium thing was there so I didn't bother. Don't think it bothers me enough to start over, unless I find out I missed out on something else or something big.

Contrary to popular belief there are a number of things that are missable or that you can screw up on.. Like special monsters. So if I didn't manage to do those right its reason enough for me to reroll.

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    Contrary to popular belief there are a number of things that are missable or that you can screw up on.. Like special monsters. So if I didn't manage to do those right its reason enough for me to reroll.
    Thats the problem so far for me. They don't exactly tell you the significance of the "big spheres vs small spheres" anywhere when they were talking about the Crystarium. Nor did they define the "Late Bloomer" vs "Well-Grown"/etc. Which is a huge thing, when you spend a bunch of stuff leveling up your pet only to have it cap out early.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I guess it technically isn't important for anyone just wanting to clear the game. If you aren't aiming for perfect/min max it doesn't matter honestly. Probably wanted players to experiment. I seem to recall reading them mention monster growth tho. You may have to read up in the primer.

Either way it's one of those things that can be deep if you bother to study it. Wasting stuff on pets is still ok cos you can always catch another one and start over, or infuse what it learnt elsewhere. Not a big issue considering early game leveling becomes little more than a cheap trivial task later on. Except with unique monsters

Sandpaper Demon
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Snowman Emperor
    FFXIV Server
    Exodus
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I don't think there will be anything hugely 'missable', at least that's not how it seems after
    Spoiler: show
    Whatever mechanic it is that lets you 'reset' a certain time-zone area, I feel like that will allow people to avoid essentially anything unmissble, and outside of the crystarium I don't think there will be anything that you can 100% never get if you don't do it right the first time sort of event/item/monster etc... except outside of the Trigger action speech things, but I get the feeling those will be almost entirely cosmetic? Not entirely sure, only in chapter 3 at this point but when the game mentions that mechanic it seems as though it's an engine to allow you to 100% the game without having to worry about doing stuff perfectly the first playthrough, to me anyway.

Although does anyone have any info on outfits? I'm mostly just hoping that they start popping up soon~ish and that they aren't all stupid difficult to get, I'd also love to see a Lightning outfit for Serah, either her XIII standard one or her new Goddess one would be tight.

Also, does anyone else get a sort of Star-Ocean~y feel from this game so far? What with the time zones and the jumping everywhere, even the music for some reason gives me that SO feeling (obviously the combat is an entirely different beast). I don't know, I just get this weird nostalgia feeling every time I turn this game on and I couldn't quite place it but I think that's what I'm feeling is just a SO nostalgia.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Pretty sure outfits are the domain of dlc only.

There are a couple of paradox endings reliant on live trigger. One of them is very obvious and youll come across it during the main story itself. Don't be afraid to do it and u'll save a little time.

Sandpaper Demon
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Snowman Emperor
    FFXIV Server
    Exodus
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

=(

stupid DLC and microtransactions ruining games, whatever happened to good ol' fashioned hard work to get something you wanted that was purely cosmetic

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Fuck, didnt know about big sphere bonus. Luckily my com is only 37 or so on Noel and rav only 31 on Serah. Still, that's like 40 missed str

I can't be assed to restart though. I'm sure it'll be fine if I start now.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

The primers mention a 'hidden ability' you can get on monsters by infusing roles that do not match the monster's role. Anyone know what the fuck that ambiguous statement is supposed to mean? They also define some of the monster traits, like Magical, Well-grown, Late bloomer, etc. but fail to explain others like Ditzy, Cute, Calm, etc. Might be a personality thing and totally irrelevant but I have a feeling it may not be. Mostly though, I'm super curious about leveling outside roles because you can't have more than one monster at a time and I don't want to fuck up and level something only to have to infuse it to get a role on something else.

The whole crystarium leveling makes sense but are they just assuming you have to spend like 18 levels in both COM and RAV to unlock SAB and SYN for both characters before you start doing the whole level even thing? I unlocked SYN on Noel by leveling COM to 18 and unlocked SAB on Serah by leveling RAV. Are the big nodes the ones that give you the choice of ATB bonus, new role, etc. or are they ones that look slightly bigger than the smaller nodes?

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

List of hidden monsters and how to capture them:

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

So the whole min/max thing, since there isn't a count on how many large nodes there are everybody may be leveling inefficiently. Since there are only 198 levels of +2 ATK for Noel if there are more than 198 large nodes on the crystarium then spending any levels on small nodes in SAB/COM will mean your Noel won't have the maximum attack possible. Most likely, everybody has fucked up.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Hmm hmm. Actually makes me wanna consider restarting. Not that it's an issue at all for me. Less than 30hrs in and I enjoyed the process. Not to mention I restarted FFXIII all over because I missed a complete bestiary entry for targeting beacon

That way I'd have more Gil on my hands cos I wouldn't be leveling pets at all if I can help it.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Hmm hmm. Actually makes me wanna consider restarting. Not that it's an issue at all for me. Less than 30hrs in and I enjoyed the process.

That way I'd have more Gil on my hands cos I wouldn't be leveling pets at all if I can help it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

can you miss any of them?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    can you miss any of them?
    No.

Ridill
    BG Level

Reading up about the crysterium thing in this thread and now I'm worried about it. I've only been playing about 2 hours, but now I'm afraid a fucked up, but I also don't just want to follow some guide word for word about how I should level. I don't see why there was no tutorial on it. Hell, I didn't even know I could level up until the tutorial for the pets thing happened.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    Reading up about the crysterium thing in this thread and now I'm worried about it. I've only been playing about 2 hours, but now I'm afraid a fucked up, but I also don't just want to follow some guide word for word about how I should level. I don't see why there was no tutorial on it. Hell, I didn't even know I could level up until the tutorial for the pets thing happened.
    It's not really that big of a deal. By the time you cap out all your roles and get some decent weapons/accessories the game is easy cake. I don't think there's much more to do after you collect all 160 fragments besides DLC stuff anyways.