BG-Wiki Search
Closed Thread
Page 153 of 153 FirstFirst ... 103 143 151 152 153
    Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Lepetit89 View Post

The Japanese tells don't amount to much more than asking who the leader is and that they want to settle the matter with said leader, by the way.
    Yeah, thats why its funny. That he thinks someone checking him is a matter that needs to be settled with the LS leader.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Ask who his LS leader is, and then /check them too. Issue settled.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

And, aside from the fact that this is a terribly narrow-minded and wrong generalization, what does one have to do with the other?
    Not saying that his is not a generalization, but when was the last time you saw an NA player go insane over the /check function? As in, being checked and not the fact that they're being made fun of for wearing pants on their head.

I think what he's trying to say is that for all the fucks they don't give, the JP sure do get SSJ angry about some silly benign things.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I remember when I first started in 05, I was killing rabbits/bees in E Sarutabaruta and noticed a high level player run by. Checked his gear because I wanted to see what the cool high level gear looked liked. He kept gear swapping when he saw the message, but I didn't know about the blink on the swap so I kept trying to check and he kept blinking. After a few tries, I got blown up with squiggle /tells and he checked spammed my lvl 1 rse .

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

And, aside from the fact that this is a terribly narrow-minded and wrong generalization, what does one have to do with the other?

The Japanese tells don't amount to much more than asking who the leader is and that they want to settle the matter with said leader, by the way.
    Are you referring to my statement about the JP culture embracing fucked up shit? Fine, here you go:
    Cumming on 6 inch anime replicas
    Tentacle rape
    Game shows? http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=91c_1368540690
    Filming drive by pantsing on women
    soiled panties vending machines
    Inventors of Bukkake
    god knows what else

Is it a portion of the population...sure, doesnt change the fact its fucked up, and you dont really see that shit over here.

But once again, I'm not saying this to rag on their culture, I'm just saying that these same people who do all this fucked up stuff actually lose their shit over having their gear checked.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Do you realize how crazy your posts are before you comment?

That was after an edit, too?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    Are you referring to my statement about the JP culture embracing fucked up shit? Fine, here you go:
    Cumming on 6 inch anime replicas
    Tentacle rape
    Game shows? http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=91c_1368540690
    Filming drive by pantsing on women
    soiled panties vending machines
    Inventors of Bukkake
    god knows what else

Is it a portion of the population...sure, doesnt change the fact its fucked up, and you dont really see that shit over here.

But once again, I'm not saying this to rag on their culture, I'm just saying that these same people who do all this fucked up stuff actually lose their shit over having their gear checked.
    You're confusing some essential things here - you talk about the culture as a whole, yet the "facts" and urban legends you mention can only be attributed to a very specific sub-culture.

If a person feels that a /check is impolite, then it stems from their upbringing, the very basic values instilled into them from a very young age. That is something you find in many cultures and countries, which is also why some character traits are more common in certain regions and countries than in others.

Now, if a person enjoys certain media you deem questionable, what does that stem from? More than likely, exposure to those media at critical points. Many people go through that, you start out hyperventilizing at the sight of breasts, then you flash-forward 20 years and you don't even want to watch unless you witness two horses going at it with dwarfs. Maybe not quite that far, yes; for many people, the road ends earlier than that. Regardless, the more extreme cases form their own sub-culture.

And you know what? Unless we're talking about someone that happens to be the personification of tolerance, people will frown upon that or even shake their head in disgust. And it gets better - in this specific case, it's not just the populace of the western world shaking their heads, it's also the populace of the country the sub-culture was formed in. Simply because it is a sub-culture, not "the" culture. This goes for Japan, for Germany, for America; pretty much everywhere where such behaviour is not met with law enforcement from the start, as sub-cultures are less likely to form under those circumstances (though that doesn't rule out the possibility).

Furthermore, curiously enough, said sub-culture extends beyond even the borders of Japan. Unless, of course, you want to tell me that the aforementioned media do not have an audience in the western world. So, clearly, you also have that kind of sub-culture in America, does that mean that the American culture is also "embracing fucked up shit"? No, because you simply do not confuse culture with sub-cultures. People being angry at being checked (culture) is something that has nothing to do with what kind of media someone enjoys (sub-culture). Naturally, the two can occur in a single person, but there's no direct connection between the two.

You do major parts of any given population a whole lot of discredit, and I won't stand for people referring to the entirety of the Japanese populace as "fucked up" just as I won't stand for people referring to all Germans as Nazis.
    Those are stereotypes and prejudices, and I would certainly expect someone of your age to be willing to grow out of those.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Did you really post an entire novel for that one statement? Ok, let me try this again, with a video...

Theres no reason to follow someone and harass the shit out of them because they checked what gear you have on. You can say whatever you want, but its ONLY jp players who get butthurt over their shit getting checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenhas View Post
    Do you realize how crazy your posts are before you comment?

That was after an edit, too?
    go away idiot

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    Did you really post an entire novel for that one statement? Ok, let me try this again, with a video...
    Those are stereotypes and prejudices, and I would certainly expect someone of your age to be willing to grow out of those.
    I stand corrected, I suppose. Thank you for helping my cause by discrediting yourself nonetheless.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Japan has its share of fucked up people, but plenty of other countries have more—the United States, for example, and simply because we have over twice the head count that they do. It's statistically unlikely that Japan contains a greater amount of screwiness than the rest of the world, and to say so simply because some aspects of Japanese media have been popularized by nerds (the average person wouldn't know about tentacle rape, for example) is stupid.

At the same time, who the fuck is going to bring up the Nazis when someone is talking about bukkake and the like? Are you for real? I think I'm a pretty good person to stick in this conversation, as my family is German, but I was also privately tutored in Japanese, and learned Japanese manners from a lovely traditional tea ceremony teacher in her 90s. And do you know what I have to say to you? Go blow.

I appreciated the fail, guys, but let's get back to FFXI fail, not poster fail.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post
    At the same time, who the fuck is going to bring up the Nazis when someone is talking about bukkake and the like? Are you for real? I think I'm a pretty good person to stick in this conversation, as my family is German, but I was also privately tutored in Japanese, and learned Japanese manners from a lovely traditional tea ceremony teacher in her 90s. And do you know what I have to say to you? Go blow.
    I'm sorry for bringing this up again against your specific instructions, but I'm afraid there's a misunderstanding. I made the connection because the issues are similar in this context, as both Germans being referred to as Nazis as well as Japanese being called "fucked up" in general are a result of stereotypes, sub-cultures being blown out of proportion and prejudices. Those are things I take as an insult, as the Nazi-issue does hurt my pride since I am a German. I therefore feel it inappropriate to ignore it when someone applies such a narrow-minded mentality to both my own nation as well as others and the Nazi-thing was the first prejudice against Germans that came to my mind.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

All right. I understand that you're trying to do something good here. I will say, though, that I believe you're misguided in how you're going about it.

I agree that generalizations are awful, as I consider myself a rather staunch advocate of equality and progressiveness in general. As noted, I also agree that saying that the Japanese are particularly perverted is nonsense, though it's a belief that's strengthened by the gaming culture's exposure to Nihon's geeky underbelly. (It isn't as if other countries don't have anything as outlandish—see: furries. Japan is not exceptionally oddball.)

However, no one was talking about Germans until you brought it up, and I can't say that I agree that saying the Japanese are perverted is anywhere near the same level as seriously calling Germans Nazis. I mean, the former yank it to hentai, and the latter killed many millions of people. These are not even remotely closely related events. That's why it in of itself is a disrespectful association. You've said that you don't like it when Germans are besmirched, but you then put mocking Japanese weirdness on potentially the same level as saying the Third Reich goes on? Come on. Don't do that. It's nonsense.

You were trying to make a point about how you hate generalizations, but I'd expect someone to use an example that wasn't so awfully different. Emphasis on the "awfully."

Old Merits
    BG Level

Point taken, yes. I was just trying to include another example to get my point across, but I fully agree that I could have chosen a better one. I'll try to keep that in mind the next time I come across a similar situation, though I definitely have a slight tendency to simply include examples based on how they fit into the line of thinking, ignoring the fact that they may be a little too severe.

Regardless, I'm happy to have cleared this misunderstanding, thank you for taking the time to answer.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I think that this is one of the most adorable conclusions to a discussion I've ever seen. I am quite pleased.

(Also, Godwin's Law. I hadn't any idea this thread would ever be graced by it, yet it's happened.)

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Diomer View Post
    Now, I realize some JPs are really sensitive about /check, but this guy took it to another level. The only backstory on this is I guess I habit checked him once on my mule Torlando and I noticed him following Tor around a bit and without thinking about it, I habit checked him once on my main a few minutes later and then this ensued. I actually have no clue what gear he was or not wearing, but maybe he was kinda gimp?

After that, he said "Its ok then yell and harassment call." Also wouldn't mind having the first part translated.
    Who is your leader? Let me speak to him (Forceful "Let" in this case).
    Discipline (Meaning he will tell your leader to discipline)
    Who is your leader?
    LS's (LS's Leader)
    Who is your LS leader?
    I want him to discipline you; therefore, disciplinary discussion

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Wow that escalated quickly. To the JP's credit, the message for being checked is pretty creepy compared to "examines you" for NA. I think it was the equivalent of "stares at you intently" or something to that effect. But like I said you can turn the message off and you'd never know you're being checked unless you're bazaaring something and they look at it. I'm not sure why more JP don't use that feature.

Flowery Twats
    BG Level

In their mind, turning on the filter just ignores the "problem". Instead they would rather suffer so that they are able to tell people off in an attempt to fix the "problem" instead of ignoring it.
    As well as that, some people just enjoy being wronged because they love the chance to tell someone off for how they've wronged them - it makes them feel superior to the other person.