+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Aion: Goes F2P and Revamped

http://us.ncsoft.com/en/news/press-r...nt-update.html

Aion: Ascension Debuts with Innovative Truly Free Business Model and Epic 3.0 Content Update

North American Players to experience full game features and 3.0 content free of charge this Spring

Seattle, WA - February 21, 2012 - NCsoft®, the world's premier publisher and developer of massively multiplayer online games (MMOs), today announces Aion: Ascension, the Truly Free evolution of Aion, the award-winning fantasy MMO that rivals other MMOs with its stunning graphics, fierce PvP and customization. Aion: Ascension brings players unrestricted access to a world filled with deep lore, exploration and epic faction battles free of charge. Coupled with the change in business model coming this Spring, players will experience everything in the highly anticipated 3.0 content update, including housing, mounts, increased level cap (60), new zones and instances.

Aion : Ascension's Truly Free business model gives players access to the entire game, including the two major expansions, 3,000+ quests, 30+ instances, 18 zones, three instanced PvP games, pets, classes and key social features like the auction house, chat, trade, crafting, gathering and forums. And with new content from the 3.0 update, which provide several new gameplay systems that Aion fans have been asking for, Aion: Ascension will be one of the most compelling MMOs on the market.

Players experiencing the world of Atreia for the first time will be welcomed into the game with a refined starting area with ample content engaging players from the beginning of their journey with guides designed to assist their current efforts and advise them on where to go next. Returning and current players will not only be able to jump back into the game for free, but will find the new content coming in Aion 3.0 a great addition to the already strong offering.

For players wanting a head start, NCsoft is hosting a "Rallying the Troops" event which will give new players an extended no time limit trial with an increased level cap to 40, whilst returning veterans will have their accounts reactivated free for 14 days. In addition, everyone will enjoy permanent increased XP as well as other boosts to help level and gear up to experience the new content faster.

A sample of features of the Aion 3.0 content update include:

Housing System - Everyone gets a home. Decorate and party in your new home.
    Mount System - A new gameplay system which lets Daevas speed around the world of Atreia in style.
    New Instances - Six new instances including a challenging 24-player raid.
    New Zones - Two stunning new zones in the Balaur homeland.
    New Level Cap - Five new levels bringing the max level to 60.

In addition to the new business model and Aion 3.0 content, NCsoft will implement new RMT countermeasures to ensure a safe and secure gaming experience for all of its players. These highly effective, proprietary methods will specifically target fraudulent transactions, bots and spammers and the confiscation of goods that have been acquired through RMT activities so that players can experience a no hassle/no harassment MMO experience.

Aion: Ascension with the innovative and improved Truly Free business model along with the 3.0 content update is scheduled to launch later this Spring. More information can be found at na.aiononline.com.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

lol

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

I've never been good with the seasons, when exactly is "later this Spring"? Aion is certainly going to become the best free to play mmorpg on the market and i would like to be a part of it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Except they have the worst F2P model in the universe.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Oh those enchant rates. I can see it now.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

They're not going to have the same F2P model as the company who took over in Europe. It's going to be free to play without restrictions. I've been waiting for them to announce this for like two months. They're actually updating right to 3.1 to be in line with Korea.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Trichocyst View Post
    They're not going to have the same F2P model as the company who took over in Europe. It's going to be free to play without restrictions. I've been waiting for them to announce this for like two months. They're actually updating right to 3.1 to be in line with Korea.
    True, haven't thought of that at first. Any confirmation on the "f2p w/o restrictions" part though? While afair L2 did it too, any other game that went f2p had some kinds of restrictions because it keeps the model running and brings nice money in.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Might dick around with it if its the full game for free.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    True, haven't thought of that at first. Any confirmation on the "f2p w/o restrictions" part though? While afair L2 did it too, any other game that went f2p had some kinds of restrictions because it keeps the model running and brings nice money in.
    When my friends at NC Soft mentioned it a few months ago I immediately made the crack that it was awful in Europe and they assured me it was fully free to play. The only thing they're doing away with is the vet rewards. Oh, the shit storm I listened in on the day they had to announce they were cancelling it without being able to explain why. There was another horrible shit storm about the name "Aion: Ascension."

I guess they're banking on the cash shop being a source of revenue. My friends there are hardly high level decision makers.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Do you still have to buy the digital or boxed copy of the game itself or will that become a free download when this hits?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

http://truly-free.aiononline.com/truly-free/index.php

"How can something this good be Truly Free?

We understand that an active player population contributes to the fun factor for the entire player population, so we want everyone to experience the game as it was intended.

If you like the game, we'd appreciate a purchase from our store (game developers need to eat too!). If you don't like the game, can't pay, or don't want to pay—no worries, it's on us!"

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Agito View Post
    Do you still have to buy the digital or boxed copy of the game itself or will that become a free download when this hits?
    Download.

Quote Originally Posted by Imitarate View Post
    Here's my main concern. I have some friends who have paid for a year's subscription.
    If they bought a year sub of Aion in 2011, they will be probably be stoked about getting some hats and party dresses.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

all i can imagine is crazy cash shop. even if its true F2P, there are gonna be some real limitations on the F2P model that is gonna force you into the cash shop

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Major Ancient Crown: $9.95

But they were getting $40(?) for blue wings before?

They keep making all these cosmetic vanity items, someone is buying them. Look at WoW

http://forums.na.aiononline.com/na/s...ad.php?t=77716

I'l be trying to consolidate all the information on changes to the Aion economy into this thread. Additions to the cash store will be added on here, and if NYX can clear some of these up, it would be a big help.

Dyes: Yes, "huge selection of dyes"- NYX
    Cash exclusive Dyes: ???
    Consumables (Potsn'Scrolls): ???
    Resellable Consumables (Potsn'Scrolls): ???
    Manastones: ???
    Manastone Supplements: "Under consideration" - NYX
    Enchantment Stones: ???
    Enchantment Stone Supplements: "no 100% guarantee to +15 your weapon items" - NYX
    Weapons / Gear (Non-Cosmetic): ???
    Exclusive Gear (Non-Cosmetic): ???
    AP Items (Medals & Crowns): "There will be no AP items, no medals" - NYX

WANTED:
    Greater Inventory Expansion Card: Please?
    More Skins
    House Decorations

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

Playing L2 after it went free, it really was just the whole game available completely for free. I'm sure there are enough people buying hats, bunny ears, and exp boosts to make it worth their while. The fact that I don't have to be one of them is great. Beats the shit out of stuff like the EQ2 model where you have to buy basic shit like races and classes in their F2P model.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

The EQ2 model is a perfect example of what not to do ftp wise.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

The EU Aion model is a perfect example of what not to do also. Lol poor EU

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Lol, @ rivalling other games. You so silly.

Little Mother
    BG Level

Interested for free access to character creation without having to pay.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast