Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trine Traverse
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I've been watching Steparu and Alleriya, who both stream quite alot and have multiple characters at lv60. The general gist from them both seems to be that Berserker and Archer are pretty unwanted, to the point where a group with both of them is unable to do hardmode dungeons due to lack of DPS. People rather disband and look for a new group than go with those classes.

Sorc/Slayer/Warrior > Archer/Berserker is the way it is in Korea at the moment. The top DPS classes aren't exactly alike in DPS, but they're all considered solid choices.

Berserker is too slow for the current endgame, with bosses constantly moving around AoEing, which makes the very static Berserker a poor choice. The new lv60 skill helped, but it's not enough. Archer is just bad overall, it seems.

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Poor Archer.

MOST RAD.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pupuru Puru
    FFXIV Server
    Goblin
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Zerkers are slow but they have the same base combat speed as lancers. I think the problem is more the players. You have to know when to use the charge ups and also predict where mobs are going to be. Can't be solely reactionary.

My opinion on the DPS is just play what you like best. They all have their own flavor and bring something to the table.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Taisaijin
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

So warrior IS a DPS in the current Korean version? How many patches behind them are we?

I've been messing around on pretty much every class totally unable to decide what to play. I've been enjoying Slayer/Sorc/Archer and had some interest in warrior until everyone was so adamant about it being a tank. (don't have much interest in tanking :-/)

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by blindSharingan View Post
    So warrior IS a DPS in the current Korean version? How many patches behind them are we?
    Based on things I've seen people say here, warrior's dps was boosted quite a bit, but they can still "tank." Generally though, most groups seem to prefer lancers being the main tank with maybe a warrior dpsing in the group that could potentially offtank if needed (I have no idea for sure if this is true, these are just things I've seen posted in this section). As far as I know, we will be caught up with the Korean version when the game launches here.

Little Mother
    BG Level

Warrior plays the same whether you're tanking or not, stop freaking out if you want to tank, or if you don't want to tank.

If you're tanking, you're dodging shit aimed at you while keeping your debuffs up on the mob and doing damage.
    If you're dpsing, you're dodging shit aimed at you while keeping your debuffs up on the mob and doing damage.

Warrior tanking comes from dodging and the fact that several of your abilities give you damage reduction while you are performing them. It doesn't matter if you're tanking or not if you get these benefits, they are part of your skills.

I don't know why Berserkers are considered so slow, they have the same speed as Lancers as mentioned above and you can glyph some charge attacks so you move at full speed while charging them.

One of the drawbacks of having a game released is that people are going to flock to the classes they think are the best, instead of playing the class that they enjoy the most, which, at the end of the day, is going to end up with a lot of dissapointed people.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBreeze View Post
    One of the drawbacks of having a game released is that people are going to flock to the classes they think are the best, instead of playing the class that they enjoy the most, which, at the end of the day, is going to end up with a lot of dissapointed people.
    This. Play a class you enjoy and play it well. This concept especially here on BG shouldn't be a problem. Sure, if we whittle away each class there are prob numbers and variables that push one above the other but player skill and knowelege of said job can easily compensate for this (assuming again, that people are smart players).

Take that Mammet fight in CoP: there was "the" textbook way to do this fight that most people strove for and went to sites to read on, but there was also plenty of groups who did it a different way, perhaps it was "harder" or took more potions or something, but they did it. And they loved it.

Take that approach. Play the class you like. Besides you can always make "X" class later if you decide you want a change.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

While I agree that "play the class you like" is the best idea, I played DRG in FFXI. After the pentanerf, nobody wanted DRG. Period. If I didn't form my own party, I wasn't getting a party. So yes, while playing what you like is ideal, I've learned from FFXI that you have to play what is likely to be in demand.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Sorc > Zerker > Slayer/Warrior > Archer. Archer probably even on par with Slayer and Warrior, but all 3 definitely behind Sorc and Zerker.

@Coren; You're comparing a game with 20 classes versus a game with 8. If TERA is smart, they won't ever end up with so many classes.

@Trocian; You're hella wrong.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Thanks for clearing that up, Foxer.

If I understand you correctly, it seems that the gap between Warrior and the other dps classes narrows the higher the level? Because at my level (34) Slayers and Berserkers easily outdamage me. And after seeing that speed guide, perhaps that's what I've been doing wrong. Next beta I'm piling on the speed to see how much easier Warrior is. If not, I think I'll be jumping on the Berserker train. Or if the guild is in need of Lancers, I'd seriously consider that too.

I'm glad I'm finding out this information during beta instead of retail release.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Yeah, as you get higher, it only gets closer to Slayer until you're basically on par with Slayers. Of course only with a crit build (same as Slayer) on assault stance.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Making a crit build has been, shall we say, problematic while soloing. Most of the critical crystals are "from behind the monster". Other crystals are ~+1% increased crit chance. Am I safe in assuming that when soloing and tanking, its better to go with a speed build? There seems to be a lot of solo work in between the major dungeons.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lady Tisi
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Malygos

Charm guide~ :D

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

BERSERK-ER [MY LOVE FOR YOU IS LIKE A TRUCK]

Quote Originally Posted by Domeran
    Don't ever level a berserker to max solo either, that shit is painful, these guys are built for groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Domeran
    For a better idea of what dps looks like as a berserker at max level:

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Slayer guide.

Edit: The leather armor the Castanic is wearing is that smokin' hot pokey one, so definitely NSFW! Also, lots of fleshy dancing!

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

what would you guys say has the highest dps from start to currenct endgame? i'm all about the big numbers (hoping its Zerk dragons would look silly in leather gear)

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

To me it seems like the easiest class to play solo would be Slayer. And that video displays how simple it is for a Slayer to keep an enemy knocked down. Plus that distance attack is nice for a hectic BAM fight.

But I believe Berserker has the highest damage from start to finish, though its a little tougher to play correctly than Slayer. The difference isn't large, though, and a good Slayer will be better than a bad Berserker any day of the week.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Wenrick View Post
    To me it seems like the easiest class to play solo would be Slayer. And that video displays how simple it is for a Slayer to keep an enemy knocked down. Plus that distance attack is nice for a hectic BAM fight.

But I believe Berserker has the highest damage from start to finish, though its a little tougher to play correctly than Slayer. The difference isn't large, though, and a good Slayer will be better than a bad Berserker any day of the week.
    Think you meant a bad slayer will be better than a bad berserker, because it works the other way, a good berserker is better than a good slayer.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Not hard to play berserker.. and I'd think it would have a higher chance of survivability considering... it has "block".

Unlike slayer dodge roll, you can block, whenever.. to prevent "most/all" damage from a BAM/instance boss fight. (the blue axe can 100% damage absorb almost every boss in CR at Lv38 excluding a possibly 500ish damage from the mace guy, and about 1-2K damage from one of the bonus boss abilities... forgot which it is, but it isn't used much).
    In the case of slayer, if you prematurely block.. your going to take a big hit... prematurely block... you can just hold it to make sure you won't take that extra damage.

although I'm sure anyone.. after like 60+ runs of CR.. could close their eyes and basically tell when a boss will do something as they say something before they do it usually >.>
    (also they say something big in chat before they do it anyway).

The best thing about berserker block (incase ya haven't played one, or lancer) is its "per hit" block (and only uses MP to start the block, no drain per hit). So something like the end boss CR's "Black mist, ability disabling cloud" then that electrical storm thing right after... will do 0 damage to you with block up~ where as a slayer would have to roll out... and if not far enough take some massive damage O_o. (think it does about 2K X 5 hits)

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMoomba View Post
    Think you meant a bad slayer will be better than a bad berserker, because it works the other way, a good berserker is better than a good slayer.
    This might be true, though I really have no way to back it up. Due to the ease of Slayer use, one would suppose a bad one would outclass a bad Berserker. The counter point is the one Gulkeeva brought up, and that is that at least a Berserker has access to the axe block. I'd imagine even a bad Berserker would block every once in a while, where the bad Slayer would take the hit every time.

Bah, its all supposition, conjecture, and academia. Theory often doesn't apply to the reality.