+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Just to clear up the misconception of gear stats not mattering, it does and it does alot, the difference is that max stats are easily attainable by anyone, and you will not have that grind to find an extra +1 or +2 stat rare armor piece, it does not exist in gw2. So at level 80 if I have a piece that gives +50% crit, every one can get that also, but someone can have a rare skin with the exact same stats I have which just looks way cooler.

There are videos out of some pvp matches where people have shown how much runes and gear affects dmg, hp, defense, timers on skills etc.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sci Gauss
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Have they ever mentioned how gear scaling works? Let's say I'm lvl15 with a lvl12 blue piece equipped and a lvl15 white piece with the same exact stats available, would they be scaled the same? Would it have been scaled more favorably when I was lvl12 with the lvl12 blue? I guess this pertains to both upscaling and downscaling. Next beta I can look at the character screen and actually see if they properly update stats & defense when scaled, but I wonder if there was any official word or formula given out.

your gear isn't the thing that is scaled its your total power. Its not like FFXI, Not sure how it applies to boons and conditions on gear like crit rates or crit dmg.

But I would think that there will be no need to find low level gear if you are in a low level area and you are level 80. Its not a strict level cap its more like an effective level, you are still 80 but are powered down to an effective lower level, which takes into consideration everything on a whole.

The thing is if you go into a level 12 area at level 80 you will be getting level 80 drops.

Like in WvW, even if you are scaled up to level 80 you do not get the gear bonuses of a level 80 due to the fact that you just cannot wear level 80 gear yet, but you are still effective as base stats are boosted.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sci Gauss
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

So if they do it that way, if you're lvl30 and pimped out in great lvl 30 gear, you'll actually get weaker as you level until you replace it with level appropriate gear. You level pretty fast in general so it's something hard to keep up with, but you're scaled one way or another when doing so much content that you'll always be affected by it. It just feels contradictory to potentially get weaker as you level.

Also when I was downscaled from something like 20 -> 5, I was getting gear drops around level 5 not 20. When upscaled to 80 in WvW, I was getting drops appropriate for my actual level, not level 80. So I don't think it works both ways, or they haven't implemented it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sci View Post
    So if they do it that way, if you're lvl30 and pimped out in great lvl 30 gear, you'll actually get weaker as you level until you replace it with level appropriate gear. You level pretty fast in general so it's something hard to keep up with, but you're scaled one way or another when doing so much content that you'll always be affected by it. It just feels contradictory to potentially get weaker as you level.

Also when I was downscaled from something like 20 -> 5, I was getting gear drops around level 5 not 20. When upscaled to 80 in WvW, I was getting drops appropriate for my actual level, not level 80. So I don't think it works both ways, or they haven't implemented it yet.
    True, it could be that way in terms of the drops. One thing though It really doesn't matter since there really is no pimping out in terms of stats in gw2. Again max stat gear is easy to obtain at anytime, by a number of means. Also as you are leveling if you find a piece of gear that is better than your cool rare skin level 30 gear you can always transmutate it. You do get gear drops and gear from events and quests very regularly.

If you are wearing crap gear 5 levels lower than you are its kinda your fault lol, Also npcs usually sell gear for every 10 levels.

I duno maybe someone can explain it better

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sci Gauss
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Maybe I wasn't finding the right NPCs, but I didn't see any selling green or orange gear at regular level intervals. I mostly found white and some blue gear being sold by NPCs, and they do have inferior stats at the same level. I understand all the transmuting, I was just more concerned in actually trying to keep myself well geared no matter how I got scaled.

Quote Originally Posted by Takiwaki View Post
    Just to clear up the misconception of gear stats not mattering, it does and it does alot, the difference is that max stats are easily attainable by anyone, and you will not have that grind to find an extra +1 or +2 stat rare armor piece, it does not exist in gw2. So at level 80 if I have a piece that gives +50% crit, every one can get that also, but someone can have a rare skin with the exact same stats I have which just looks way cooler.

There are videos out of some pvp matches where people have shown how much runes and gear affects dmg, hp, defense, timers on skills etc.
    Here's a good example of that in this video here stacking damage stats and boons like Fury

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Sci View Post
    Maybe I wasn't finding the right NPCs, but I didn't see any selling green or orange gear at regular level intervals. I mostly found white and some blue gear being sold by NPCs, and they do have inferior stats at the same level. I understand all the transmuting, I was just more concerned in actually trying to keep myself well geared no matter how I got scaled.
    Karma vendors sell green gear but usually only 2-3 pieces at one spot.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Wrong thread!

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Are kited fights prevelent in GW? It looks like you could build a pretty fast air elementalist at the expense of using up trait points. Does this have a use at all in pve? I assume with so many ranged attacks available in pvp it would be worthless.

Before trying to answer this, what is your idea of kiting? and would you mind sharing the build in question? Also to note you are never really an air elementalist since all attunements are always available each with its own positives and negatives. Sticking to one attunement is gimping yourself.

Official Nannyman of Nikkei's Harem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

It's really hard to "get" this until you play elementalist, and even then you need to seriously spend some time in it -- you only have one weapon at a time in combat, so you need to know what all your elemental abilities do -- not to mention that swapping between them by itself is advantageous, as it gives you buffs (moreso if you put at least 5 points into arcane).

I approached it the same way before I played one, because I'm so used to MMOs (and games in general), including GW1, where specializing in one element gimps you if you dare touch the others. It's a very fun class, but you need to change your approach to elemental magic.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

My only frame of reference for kiting is rdm or cor dot/qd fights in FFXI. Meaning a huge mob that will kill you in three hits can be successfully worn down by using your movement speed buffs coupled with using immobilizing/cripple debuffs on the mob while you exclusively use ranged damage to remove his health.

The reason I ask is for choosing traits. If kiting is advantageous in the GW model there is a certain build I might want to spec. However, if it simply doesn't work there might be a more ideal build for that character. I mentioned air specifically due to the number of movement speed buffs that atunement gives.

Quote Originally Posted by barber2006 View Post
    My only frame of reference for kiting is rdm or cor dot/qd fights in FFXI. Meaning a huge mob that will kill you in three hits can be successfully worn down by using your movement speed buffs coupled with using immobilizing/cripple debuffs on the mob while you exclusively use ranged damage to remove his health.

The reason I ask is for choosing traits. If kiting is advantageous in the GW model there is a certain build I might want to spec. However, if it simply doesn't work there might be a more ideal build for that character. I mentioned air specifically due to the number of movement speed buffs that atunement gives.
    Yep I understand, but just to let you know you really cannot use FFXI as a reference for much of anything in GW2. Like Imi said you have to play to really understand. Its a very different style of play. You also will not be able to kite the way you do in any other mmo with a hate/enmity control based system, that includes tanking and kiting based on hate holding in any form

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Here's an example... Playing a thief, using pistol/dagger. I find something I want to fight, so I use my first dagger offhand ability, which applies a cripple -- now, since thief uses Initiative instead of cooldowns, I HAVE to do this slowly, using only my default pistol attack -- if I rely too much on anything else, I risk not having enough initiative to cripple again when it wears. I'm backing away from what I'm fighting, so my movement speed is reduced inherently, beyond what it's reduced by just by being in combat, and it's very hectic to try to keep an eye out behind me while I retreat. I could run into anything -- a mob or a wall. Either would be, if not disastrous, dangerous.

Other things could go wrong -- the monster could just move too fast for me. It could summon or link adds. I could back into the wrong mob, or a wall. Let's say I back into a wall -- I keep firing, let the monster catch up, and then roll through it, and start backing away the other direction. I have to depend on precise timing to avoid getting clocked.

Of course, this doesn't work on anything ranged -- and evasive mobs evading my cripple would suck, too.

It's a bit unbalanced, I think it needs a little tweaking -- not exactly difficult, but it's also not brainless, and not without risk. You can use skills to mitigate your risk (I loved Signet of Malice in my heal slot, and stealths are always helpful), but there's a lot of situations where you just plain need to know how to move around in melee range.

Also, personally, I found sword/dagger and shortbow both way more fun :3

Technically you're going to have to do some kiting no matter what profession/spec you play whether it be melee or ranged or whatever. It's not like standard MMOs where some professions you can just stand there and take a beating and kill the mob before it kills you. You HAVE to be constantly moving in and out, dodging, kiting, etc. So yeah, any type of abilities that give you increased movement will help. But, you have to find a decent balance because if you spec too much into one area you're gimping yourself in others. Going in, I really underestimated the effect stats would have, but they are actually very important. So if you spec too much in kiting ability, you may be gimping your damage thus prolonging the time fights could take. So I think you really have to play yourself to get a feel for it and then try to strike a nice balance between specs.

Anything thats big enough to kill you in 3 hits is going to be in very few situations dungeons or DE's all of which are multiple player activities you'll never get to kite the thing around because it will be changing targets.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by barber2006 View Post

I did some "kiting" style stuff story content, but a big thing to understand with GW2 is that you don't have to stand still for anything - and neither do your opponents. Your normal combat situation is a lot more mobile. There are skills that are flying leaps that close the distance between you and a mob, others that can teleport you back out of range, and so on. There isn't the dichotomy of standing there and letting stats determine if you get hit or running away like a little girl. Moving/dodging is always part of combat.
    So, sure, in some cases keeping some distance and pecking away is strategically advantageous, but you'll probably still need to watch for when the mob rushes you/etc. In a group you'd be swapping hate by doing it, since I think the enmity system is that the mob hits whoever is closest.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I was doing one of the human story instances, in an orphanage taken over by bandits. I managed to take out most of them, but there were a group around a corner, 4 regular bandits and two NMs that needed to be taken down. I KEPT dying. Just could not figure out how to pull them without all of them immediately ripping me apart.

About 10 deaths later, I notice Logan Thackeray's corpse on the stairs. I raise him, he charges in, I follow, and then I win.

Definitely takes a different mentality. Actually useful NPCs in an MMO..?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Imitarate View Post
    Definitely takes a different mentality. Actually useful NPCs in an MMO..?
    Not really new for Guild Wars, though you had the same thing in some mission content in XI too (you'd just usually auto-fail if they died anyway).