Thread: Guild Wars 2 Video/Media     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

very interesting video the necro one

Clearly not Tonko
    BG Level

Great vid. Good to see them not be able to beat that particular boss lol.

Bleh.

Game.

Now.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Anti-crusade crusader
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

See with the underwater Mechanics, I fear certain classes will not be able to function properly. Take for instance the Necromancer. How do they set their Wells? Or how would Rangers set their traps? Some may say that since they know they are entering an underwater zone, they should change their abilities to match. Which is acceptable, but what about the Engineer?

How does the Engineer use their signature class mechanics? With Turrets being immobile ground abilities, and Weapon sets completely changing your attack abilities, and even elixers being thrown. I can see Engineer being severely limited underwater.

And the narrator bringing up a completely valid points with melee attacks not being able to attack upwards. I'm excited that AreaNet has taken their own view on the mechanics, but certain classes will certainly perform much better than others underwater.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristio View Post
    See with the underwater Mechanics, I fear certain classes will not be able to function properly. Take for instance the Necromancer. How do they set their Wells? Or how would Rangers set their traps? Some may say that since they know they are entering an underwater zone, they should change their abilities to match. Which is acceptable, but what about the Engineer?

How does the Engineer use their signature class mechanics? With Turrets being immobile ground abilities, and Weapon sets completely changing your attack abilities, and even elixers being thrown. I can see Engineer being severely limited underwater.

And the narrator bringing up a completely valid points with melee attacks not being able to attack upwards. I'm excited that AreaNet has taken their own view on the mechanics, but certain classes will certainly perform much better than others underwater.
    Nah I think he was just comparing that on land you do not have attacks that take the z axis into consideration while in the water they do. You get totally different skill sets and weapons underwater, so the skills are made for underwater combat. Certain support skills are also replaced to be effective underwater. So you really do not have to worry about skill usage, you do not use the same skills as on land. For example you may not be able to equip turrets as eng underwater, you might get mines or something. But yes every class does get a bit limited to certain skills only to balance out the need to deal with the z axis also, its left to be seen how badly any class gets gimped or if its addressed yea.

http://www.arena.net/blog/jonathan-s...erwater-combat

Of course, there is more to your skill bar in Guild Wars 2 than just your weapon skills. That’s why, we whenever you dive beneath the surface, the skills in slots 6 through 10 automatically change to underwater skills. As you might imagine, not all your land-based utility, heal, and elite skills work underwater, so we’ve come up with some really cool underwater equivalents of these skills.
    this vid explains it better

He said "uhh and umm" a total of 135 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
    He said "uhh and umm" a total of 135 times.
    If you paid attention to that, I think you are in the wrong place

Nah, i'm perfectly in the right place. It's just a pet peeve and makes it hard to watch a video presentation when all I hear is "uhh ummm uhhh ummm." If the underwater thing is really 10-20% of the content like was said in one of those videos, it is pretty underwhelming. Seems like the only gimmicky thing they've done so far. The game stood out so much without it, just that they forced it in to be like "We need to do EVERYTHING better than ALL MMOS! Including UNDERWATER Z AXIS COMBAT!" Maybe it was the poor presentations but they did a very poor job of showing off said Z axis combat. Didn't look like it had any effect on combat at all. The PVP videos did a better job of showing off all 3 axis when we would see people going on top of a cliff and firing ground target AoEs. All the other videos got me excited to try it all, water dungeons just seem so mediocre in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
    Nah, i'm perfectly in the right place. It's just a pet peeve and makes it hard to watch a video presentation when all I hear is "uhh ummm uhhh ummm." If the underwater thing is really 10-20% of the content like was said in one of those videos, it is pretty underwhelming. Seems like the only gimmicky thing they've done so far. The game stood out so much without it, just that they forced it in to be like "We need to do EVERYTHING better than ALL MMOS! Including UNDERWATER Z AXIS COMBAT!" Maybe it was the poor presentations but they did a very poor job of showing off said Z axis combat. Didn't look like it had any effect on combat at all. The PVP videos did a better job of showing off all 3 axis when we would see people going on top of a cliff and firing ground target AoEs. All the other videos got me excited to try it all, water dungeons just seem so mediocre in comparison.
    If you had included this in the previous post then it would have made sense since this is in fact the GW2 section, not the section about people's articulation prowess. I am glad the game has you interested too. I honestly don't give a fuck if he says uhh and umm a million times since what impresses me is the game that they are making, to which this thread's purpose is to provide media for.

TB's mailbox has some interesting WvW footage running in the background

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elrina Miona
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The articulation of someone narrating a video can indeed effect it's impact, imo. It doesn't change the quality of the actual gameplay footage, but it can make a video more/less enjoyable to watch. Regardless, this is a kinda silly thing to argue over.

You are correct, however, this isn't the thread for his comment. Next time he should just quote the post he's referring to in a post in the complaints thread (which is what it's there for). You do seem to get a bit overly defensive about the game sometimes though, it wasn't really that big of a deal. >_>

yup, sorry. This had nothing to do with defending the game though =/, was not arguing just making a point, apologies

Shit I think I'm being Gurufied lol, there was this one thread where they were talking about the crafting and one person simply said, "I like the crafting". To which he got blasted saying if he didn't have anything supporting his statement he shouldn't post lolol. /sigh

Mesmer portals look extremely useful for helping the golem suits get around in WvW or even just getting people around in general.

Clearly not Tonko
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zerocool View Post
    Mesmer portals look extremely useful for helping the golem suits get around in WvW or even just getting people around in general.
    Oh dang, that's true. Get a couple Mesmers to keep dropping portals for the golem! Nice.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

They last for maybe 20 seconds, so they're not capable of moving somebody more than 15~ seconds away.

Clearly not Tonko
    BG Level

The golems crawl. Anything that speeds them up is great.

Have we seen video of the teleport ability working on the golems?

Yeah in that video Taki posted above.

Clearly not Tonko
    BG Level

Stupid e-mail that linked the video made me think I was invited into the beta or something. ;_;

Too much talk...

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

yeah given the false hope offered by the email, the vid should have been a lot better

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast