+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I'm not for legalizing EVERY drug, but I am for legalizing recreational drugs that grow naturally. Synthesized drugs release fumes and are carcinogenic and are harmful to more than just one person. That is why I oppose legalizing drugs like meth and crack. They need to stay illegal and heavily regulated just for public safety.
    What the fuck. Legalizing them would be far, far better for public safety. Being illegal does not stop people from making or using drugs. What it does is insure that the people making it have to resort to murdering innocent people to make sure their business runs smoothly, instead of relying on the police and courts. It also makes life far more difficult for drug users, who are now more likely to rob people to fund their drug use.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    Being illegal does not stop people from making or using drugs.
    Eh, it does affect using a little bit. So, by entirely decriminalizing drugs, you will get some people trying them for the first time because of their increased availability. You can't deny that. The argument is more about when people do them, they will be in a safer place... but that doesn't really remove the actual harmful and addictive effects they can have. Regarding that, it becomes law just to keep people from hurting themselves too easily (which I generally disagree with).

You have to somewhat differentiate between the effects of drug decriminalization on people who are already addicts who will do the substances regardless of legality, and on people who haven't done any purely based on the lack of exposure. I know I haven't tried a number of drugs when I was younger because they simply weren't around. If they were, I'm sure I would have at least tried them once.

Obviously, this is more of a comment towards the "harder," more damaging drugs. Marijuana being illegal next to alcohol is a complete joke.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I'm all for legalizing mj for the taxes. I never smoked, and I've thought about what I would do if it was legalized, and I probably still wouldn't smoke it. (just 'cause I feel I don't need it).

Reality is though the people that will continue to hold up the process is, in fact, pot smokers. As is, you have a huge portion of "DRUGS ARE BAD" people, and then on top of that, you have have the pot smokers who are "I DON'T WANT MY SHIT TO BE REGULATED, IT WON'T BE AS STRONG AND IT'LL COST MORE".

Props to CO if they end up passing it, but I won't be shocked if it doesn't win.

[edit] I agree though that substances that release fumes that can harm/addict others should definitely stay bant even if it means more criminals/money spent/etc. And tbh, for me, that includes cigarettes. If you want to be a pothead more power to you, as that doesn't effect me (chemically) on whether I smoke pot. When exposure to something I don't even use harms me, then regulations need to be made.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

What the fuck. Legalizing them would be far, far better for public safety. Being illegal does not stop people from making or using drugs. What it does is insure that the people making it have to resort to murdering innocent people to make sure their business runs smoothly, instead of relying on the police and courts. It also makes life far more difficult for drug users, who are now more likely to rob people to fund their drug use.
    Honestly, crime won't vanish if all drugs are legalized.

As its still going to cost money to purchase said legal drugs. Robberies for cash will still happen, robberies for drugs will still happen.

Its a endless cycle

Quote Originally Posted by Nevex View Post
    This shit needs to stay banned, and all the drugs that aren't need to be banned as well.

I dread the thought of a world where it's legal. People are already corrupted enough, there's no need to make the list longer.
    All drugs should be banned? All prescription, medication, over-the-counter, etc, drugs? And I'm assuming you would apply the same for alcohol?

That would go over magnificently.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Ill pick weed over alcohol anyday.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by jmcgarrell View Post
    Honestly, crime won't vanish if all drugs are legalized.

As its still going to cost money to purchase said legal drugs. Robberies for cash will still happen, robberies for drugs will still happen.

Its a endless cycle
    No shit? But it would lessen. And all of the violence by the gangs that produce and sell the drugs would vanish over night, which is the biggest aspect of it.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Has he done this other than the Washington raids, where they determined

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7AF0BN20111116

Serious question - how widespread has the DEA raided distributors under Obama?
    Here in San Diego a lot of dispensaries have shut down just by the fear alone of being raided. I don't have any actual statistics (I don't smoke or go to these places) but from what I hear the vast majority have shut their doors.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

No shit? But it would lessen. And all of the violence by the gangs that produce and sell the drugs would vanish over night, which is the biggest aspect of it.
    Can't comment on the gang violence, as it would depend on the area.

Majority of our gang related incident, occur due to turf wars instead of drug fueled wars here. Drugs do play a part, but we have alot of innocent individuals getting shot simply for wearing the wrong color on the wrong corner.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by RKenshin View Post
    All drugs should be banned? All prescription, medication, over-the-counter, etc, drugs? And I'm assuming you would apply the same for alcohol?

That would go over magnificently.
    Hey, last time we banned liquor, it wound up creating jobs for these guys

http://tjtrends.files.wordpress.com/...touchables.jpg

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

One of my gf's best friends is a DEA agent in Las Vegas. He said that 80+% of the people he arrests (in Nevada, which doesn't have a Mexican border) for drug crimes are Mexican nationals.

So you'd get rid of a ton of that element with lifting prohibition.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by jmcgarrell View Post
    Can't comment on the gang violence, as it would depend on the area.

Majority of our gang related incident, occur due to turf wars instead of drug fueled wars here. Drugs do play a part, but we have alot of innocent individuals getting shot simply for wearing the wrong color on the wrong corner.
    I was referring specifically to the gangs that exist just to sell drugs. They would all disappear,

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

I was referring specifically to the gangs that exist just to sell drugs. They would all disappear,
    Some would probably move on to other types of illegal activity, but yea.... majority would probably just move on to another country or just stop.

Considering the fact that the reason to maintain "turf" is to use it for profitable illegal activities (like, say, selling drugs) I'm not seeing gangs perpetuating these "turf wars" without a source of income to buy all those guns.

Groups may outwardly profess their conflicts to be about respect or "street cred" or whatever melodramatic gangster babble but once there's no money to be made I'm pretty sure they aren't going to get honest jobs just to fund their evening drive-bys out of boredom.

There's no other illegal activity they could take up that would be anywhere near as lucrative as drugs.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    Considering the fact that the reason to maintain "turf" is to use it for profitable illegal activities (like, say, selling drugs) I'm not seeing gangs perpetuating these "turf wars" without a source of income to buy all those guns.

Groups may outwardly profess their conflicts to be about respect or "street cred" or whatever melodramatic gangster babble but once there's no money to be made I'm pretty sure they aren't going to get honest jobs just to fund their evening drive-bys out of boredom.

There's no other illegal activity they could take up that would be anywhere near as lucrative as drugs.
    Not necessarily. Turf is another form of self segregation around here. Sureno's don't want Norteno's on their turf and vice versa not cause it's profitable. It's cause they fucking hate each other and will try to kill each other. We don't even house them in the same housing units for this very reason.

Being white and middle class these things escape me.

I suppose the hate market will never bottom out as long as people......exist.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    I suppose the hate market will never bottom out as long as people......exist.
    Best way to put it sadly.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Yup, sadly the best way to get a glimpse at prison and gang life, watch a few episodes of Lockup. Luckily the jail I work at is just a county jail, so I only hear the real loons if I have to replace a computer in one of the psych housing units.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

bumpsauce; don't want to talk about the election (*'-');

thanks colorado
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2079899.html
    http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20...xt|FRONTPAGE|p
    http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...alization-vote

and washington, too i think

too bad for oregon's -- i liked that it would remove all regulations on hemp. the industrial uses of cannabis are massive

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

BEST
    FUCKING
    DAY
    EVER

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size