+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
    Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by falloutboy14 View Post
    1)In theory if you had 1 road that snaked around your entire city, they would drive miles through the town instead of turning left.
    All I can see is
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1...p3ouo1_400.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_Wheel22 View Post
    fkin... this shit needs to get reposted soon on RIT. I was literally gasping for air after 10 minutes.

Info on the width of lots & road placement: http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comm...e_road_guides/
    Spoiler: show
    First, some facts:

Streets are 24m wide.
    Avenues are 48m wide.
    Low density lots are 48m deep.
    Mid/high density lots are 96m deep.

All are nice multiples of each other.

With the street tool selected, hovering over streets you get guides like these. Even if you have the 4 lane street selected, the guides assume you want low density back-to-back. The guides are thus 120m apart (2x48m + 24m streets).

With the avenue tool selected, hovering over avenues and guides like these appear. The guides are 240m apart (2x96m + 48m avenues).

Something interesting happens when you have the street tool selected but hovering over avenues, and vice versa. The tool assumes you want low density beside the street and mid/high density beside the avenue, and so the guides are spaced such that there's 48m (low) + 96m (mid/high) space between the roads, plus half of a street (12m) and half of an avenue (24m) = 180m.

Again, these are in nice multiples - 120m, 240m and 180m.

All very nice, but what isn't so nice is that if you want to build a really packed, high density area with streets, you're out of luck -- the street tool gives you guides every 120m, and you want 2x96m = 192m of space between the streets, but if you use every second guide to place streets you actually get 240-24 = 216m of space, leaving 24m of empty space in between the lots.

If it wasn't yet clear, avenues are roads with the grass divider down the middle, streets are normal streets.

Plus, as I understand it, if you wish to maximize space with streets & maximize medium/high zones, you should place the parallel road one street-width inside of the 2nd set of dashed lines.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

One problem I had with my limited time on the beta was not knowing how much space to allocate for special buildings to upgrade. Typically I try to build the road network then leave empty blocks for future buildings but without having access to the building, or even knowing what I actually want to build in the future, planning can be a pain.
    Is it better to just leave extra space and fill in holes with small parks and what not? Or should I just not feel guilty about having to demolish a bunch of people's homes in the name of progress?

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Most of the ploppable buildings I saw in beta had some kind of outline to show where the add-ons will go. The City Hall, for example, will show gold rectangles where the additional wings will go - but I never felt like it was a very accurate representation. It is frustrating to have to put them not on a corner and then have this empty space next to the roads that can't be filled in with a small park.

I would love to be able to fill in empty spaces between buildings, especially in commercial zones, with a generic plaza or blacktop texture a la Cities XL. I hated that my early 'downtown' areas basically had mini-vacant lots filled with grass between buildings.

PS: If you're on r/SimCity upvote my post on the Fused Grid proposal My id on reddit is ExocetC3I

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Your link is interesting. It's funny because I live in Calgary and just last friday my co-workers and I were talking about new communities being developed in that area, and as I was playing the beta this weekend, I wanted to try and see if I could build something resembling it.

Futher, I didn't get to explore too much, but can we just fill in those dead spaces with trees? I did that in SC4 and having dense trees scattered within the city actually looked really nice and gives the city a more natural feel.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

@Safer

Yes, we can fill in the empty spaces with trees. However, air pollution seems to kill them, as I could never get them to stay alive in my industrial zones. I recall reading something on r/SimCity that the plopped trees to help reduce air pollution, presumably if the air pollution is below a certain level that doesn't kill them.

They call me Lord Null for a reason.
    BG Level

4 Hour Closed beta starts tomorrow.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Quote Originally Posted by Null View Post
    4 Hour Closed beta starts tomorrow.
    Got my email too. At first I thought it was 5 AM to 9 PM and would have an excuse not to go to my one lecture tomorrow lol

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

Heads up, I hear this is the full game tomorrow so should be fun!

edit: Oh, the email said as much, well just a reminder... full game unlocked for tomorrows testing!

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Are previous testers able to participate? :<

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

I wonder if this will mean that we can essentially pre-load the full game prior to 00:01 on 05 March.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    Are previous testers able to participate? :<
    I don't know Ark, check your email, it was an email that was sent out a bit ago. I didn't do anything special to be included, I hope it isn't a luck of the draw thing and that everyone that had previously tested was invited.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

No email :/ Oh well, can wait til the 5th np, I'm just fiending for this game that's all!

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    No email :/ Oh well, can wait til the 5th np, I'm just fiending for this game that's all!
    Check your spam filter (doubt I need to tell you that) and maybe keep an eye out for an email tomorrow. They are sending keys out tomorrow so maybe? Possible there may be some keys floating around on twitter or something also, I dunno. Either way one week left!

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

I didn't get an invite the first round but I did for the second - so it might be a draw (didn't get one myself this round).

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

nothing here

They call me Lord Null for a reason.
    BG Level

Anybody get another email giving you the code since the original? I don't want to spend 2 out of 4 hours downloading the client.

Edit: Well shit hahahaha. I read the time wrong, thought it was 5 EST. That means I go to work at the same time the servers come up. Bleh guess I can give away my code when they send it to me. Having the same issue with FFXIV beta only being up during the hours I am at work.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

Quote Originally Posted by Null View Post
    Anybody get another email giving you the code since the original? I don't want to spend 2 out of 4 hours downloading the client.
    I have not. I think the way they've been doing it by releasing codes during the test window is fucking stupid but I suppose it could be part of the "stress test."

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

If anyone have a code they don't need, I'd love a code for this.