BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    Wait, people actually played Sim City games instead of just loading pre-built cities and forcing disasters?
    Hell yeah. It was a lot of fun. I played with disasters off though, cause I was scared of them.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

For SimCity 4, I was doing a region with a bunch of people on another forum. Course it died after 5 or 6 15-year-cycles. Then I showed it to my friends and we occasionally make regions be awesome. Though it sucks when we all update and everyone but 1 person goes into a recession for 6 years because someone HAD to over-expand, lower their taxes, and make the desirability just awesome for him, but makes everything else suck for cities nearby.

Bringer of Bacon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Qeomash View Post
    I built my cities in SimCity 2000. Then flew around with the Apache helicopter in SimCopter launching missiles at buildings.
    Oh man, I did this so much. I tried to play SimCopter a few years ago.. horrible mistake, I should have left it in my happy memories where it belonged.

Anyway, bring it on SC5! XL 2012 is nice, but doesn't have the same feeling to me as some of the SC did.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    Wait, people actually played Sim City games instead of just loading pre-built cities and forcing disasters?
    I did nothing but build my own cities. I've never used a pre-loaded, although I used to dick around with thunder and lightning and meteors before starting to build my shit.

Christ, this is a day one purchase for me, no matter what.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I used to build a bit, but I don't really recall being all that entertained past a certain point... which is where I turned to pre-built cities that I would just repeatedly destroy with hurricanes, floods, and the occasional Godzilla.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Maybe if they fix the AI when it comes to transportation.

green jellybean
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

So can't wait! sim city 2000 is definitely my favorite, I picked up SC4 on steam to scratch the itch about a year ago. Cities XL isn't the same thing at all

That being said I am hopeful the game turns out well The concept art looks a bit clean and cute vs having a more realistic edge to it. My concern is that they will dumb it down too much, and may be hurt by not having Will Wright there. Hoping that they bring back scenarios, and that they look at Civ in terms of having a game that is accessible for new players, but allows for deep gameplay and mastery. ::fingers crossed::

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Mathayus View Post
    I'd like them to make it a bit easier to actually use highways as well. Not all of us are actual civil engineers and transportation authority employees.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I really hope they bring back that 1900>1950>2000>2050 kind of progression that was left to the wayside in SC4.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

NAM Controllers made things a bit better for SC4 in terms of traffic, though it tended to really mess up a region when you ran everything at 5x road capacities and improved pathfinding along with Road Top mass transit. I even have screenshots! I am missing the shot where I had 18k people taking a train out of my town into the commercial region tho.

Spoiler: show

and lol people lived in this craphole of an industrial park

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Oh god, that pollution!

desolation yes hesitation no
    Bait of the House of Weave

BG Level

Oh god make it so! It has been too damn long since 4!

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

WOOHOO!
    1 year
    FUCK

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Hard to say if it will be great or what not, all CGI, all the images displayed doesn't reflect game play

Shut up and take my simoleons! Very excited for this, I've been playing SC since the SNES version. SC3k was my favorite, loved Spore too. Can't wait.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Bold emphasis mine.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/07/new-...angers-events/
    “The rumours are true; Sim City is back,” Maxis senior vice president Lucy Bradshaw said. “We’re taking Sim City back to Maxis, and we’re bringing it to you on the PC in 2013.” Origin has opened pre-orders for the simulation; no mention was made of a console release, and a new website has launched.
    “We are adding curvy roads,” she noted as a humorous to for fans of the series, before launching into a more detailed explanation.
    The new game will have “tactility” – roads are “carved” into landscapes, and a cloud of dust arises when buildings are plunked down. Maxis wants to make building a city “the most fun” experience.
    “The buck stops at simulation,” Bradshaw said of Maxis, mentioning major updates to the simulation engine including economic details for individual Sims.
    “Resources are finite,” she said, explaining that players will face questions which challenge people today, with individual Sims able to lose jobs and buy property, for example.
    As well as increased simulation features, Maxis has built a new physics engine – perfect for natural disasters like blizzards.
    There will be social features too; polluters will find themselves unpopular with friends when their emissions drift to connected towns. Global leaderboards will track resource use, cleanliness, pollution, and wealth, among other factors. All possible scenarios are “viable” Bradshaw noted; the game won’t insist players take an environmental or socially-minded route to succeed.
    “We’re not trying to make the most complex SimCity. Our goal is to make the most playful SimCity yet,” Bradshaw said. As such, information regarding the city will not be buried in menus, but visible direcftly in the game’s graphics.
    Bradshaw mentioned the “huge advances in the PC space” since Sim City 4 shipped ten years ago, with smartphones now boasting the computational power required to run the last core release in the series.
    A trailer was shown, but it wasn’t clear if the graphics were in-engine or a cinematic; a city was shown lighting up as a power plant was slotted into place, which was super cool.
    EA strongly messaged its collaboration with organisations working for global change, introducing filmmaker Davis Guggenheim, director of documentary global warming documentary An Inconvenient Truth. The director said one of the biggest problems in effecting change against global warming is a massive psychological barrier that facts, reports and documentaries can’t always penetrate. Guggenheim described SimCity as “artistry”, enthusing over its graphics.
    The filmmaker said a game “gets under your skin”, is something people want to do, and as such, has significant potential to change minds, adding that he stands “in awe” of game markers, and told a cute anecdote about a PlayStation product announce around ten years ago near a film set, in which a request to turn the volume down while filming was happening was met with a negative response. “This is Sony, and they make a lot more money than you do. You can wait till our party is finished,” he remembered.
    Twitter co-founder Biz Stone also made an appearance to discuss the creation of technology solutions which effect social change; he was followed by charity:water CEO and founder Scott Harrison with a similar message about crowdsourcing change.
    “We’d like to thank the millions of fans who have helped make SimCity synonymous with the city-building genre. This is a franchise that means the world to us at Maxis and we’re happy to be bringing it back home where we are reimagining it for an entirely new generation of players,” Bradshaw said in a press release issued after the announce.
    “Using our proprietary GlassBox Engine, SimCity for PC will equip players with the tools to play the most sophisticated simulation of its kind. We are dedicated to making sure the experience – no matter the platform – has the fun, flavor and playability that has been intrinsic to the franchise since its birth.”

Hmm, looks like they're trying to go in a Fate of the World/AD2070 bent. It might be interesting, but, I hope it doesn't become the focus.

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Mathayus View Post
    http://i.somethingawful.com/u/bobservo/simcity/n.jpg

They call me Lord Null for a reason.
    BG Level

Ooooooh, can't wait to build a city around electronics then set off an emp and watch the fuckers panic. Delicious.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

http://store.origin.com/store/ea/en_...ThemeID.718200

Fuck yeah. Why stop at 8 DLC? Why not make every building a DLC? They should make it so buying the game just gets you hospitals, firehouses and churches.