View Poll Results: Which Race Will Be Your Main?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Asura

8 14.81%
  • Charr

11 20.37%
  • Human

12 22.22%
  • Norn

8 14.81%
  • Sylvari

15 27.78%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Official Nannyman of Nikkei's Harem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I've been bouncing between races... First I definitely wanted charr, and I still want to have one, if only because of their bitching weapon-sheathed running animation... all fours?! YES. Yes yes yes. A beast race that feels bestial.

But then I thought, oh god the asura are so cute -- until you get up close, then they're fucking demoneyesharpteeth hairless weasel things, and that is ALSO awesome, and the whole Eternal Alchemy thing. So I'll need one of those.

And then there's the sylvari. I'm going to main sylvari. I've wanted to play a plant-based race foreverrrrrrrrrr and being born out of a pod from a giant tree with a collective dream-mind makes it even better. I do, however, want to stay the HELL away from fanart, -fiction, whatever. Incest is canon. Yeurgh.

Clearly not Tonko
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by vrumpt View Post
    Still very torn on what race to play. I think its gonna be an asura though. Their main city looks the best to me.
    I am excited to see the Asura and Sylvari starting areas in all their glory, now that we've been given some pretty nice tours of the other three.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

does the race affect to the stats ? I know that every race has his own skills, but do they get any extra bonus?

Clearly not Tonko
    BG Level

I do believe the answer to that is no.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Charr necromancer will probably be my main. then a human warrior and human ranger. might go charr ranger instead, see how i like both races. How a race "feels" is a real thing to me.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Charr>Norn>Sylvari>Asura>Human.

Fuck humans. Playing human is for pussies.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rysan Wulfric
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I'm eventually going to have at least one character of each race, but Charr is going to be my main race.

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Im still in love with Human, but the Norn tattoo options and the look of Hoelbrak have me extremely torn. I will definitely have a a Norn but I am leaning towards Human to start.

Formerly Raitoken
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

To be completely honest I haven't memorized the races outside of charr and human(duh) so I have no idea what the little buggers are called but I think I might roll human.

My choices have always been for strategic reasons and I'll have to look at what each racial is and how they look in gear. I would save if racials are minimal then its all about looks. I will probably avoid the little dudes because showing off armor on them is always difficult(thinking of taru's, goblins, and gnomes in ffxi/wow and how certain armor is hard to make out).

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Why do people keep mentioning racials. They dont exist afaik.

Clearly not Tonko
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Celeras View Post
    Why do people keep mentioning racials. They dont exist afaik.
    There are racial elite skills, but I think that's it.

Yeah there's racial skills but they take up your normal skill slots and are said to be a lot weaker than your regular profession skills. I doubt anybody will really use them seriously.

As for the race, I really like the overall look of the Charr. My main concern is their armor. So far the only armor I've seen them in that looks good is heavy armor. Humans on the other hand look good in everything.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Tonka View Post
    There are racial elite skills, but I think that's it.
    That may be true as far as the wiki was concerned, but not for what has been implemented thus far. Afaik. If they actually said somewhere that they're coming then I guess they are, eventually.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

That may be true as far as the wiki was concerned, but not for what has been implemented thus far. Afaik. If they actually said somewhere that they're coming then I guess they are, eventually.
    We've seen asura in PvE vids in battlesuit. That's a racial elite. Also Norn without ability to shapeshift to Bear/Raven/whatever would be kinda stupid.

And:
    <@[ANet]JonathanSharp> Avatar of Melandru turns you into an awesome creature. Summoning dual Hounds of Balthazar. Is. So. Freaking. Cool.
    [...]
    <another> You mentioned that humans will get 6 skills based on the gods, but it was previously mentioned that each race has around 12 racials. Has the number decreased, or will humans get other skills that aren't god-related? Also, will also races get at least 4 elite racial skills since norn get 4 elites?
    <[ANet]IzzyCartright> We currently have 6 race skills these are often a mixture of elites, utility skills, and heal skills for humans there is a prayer for each god and for norn there is 4 transforms and 2 utility skils.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...rc-t24658.html

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I understand that they existed and have been mentioned previously even though I was not aware. However, I can't say what I said any clearer than I did. Take it at face value.

Official Nannyman of Nikkei's Harem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Okay, well I missed a whole page of discussion, so I'm just gonna leave this here.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Racial_skill

Clearly not Tonko
    BG Level

I understand that they existed and have been mentioned previously even though I was not aware. However, I can't say what I said any clearer than I did. Take it at face value.
    The game is still in beta. Tons of things could change between now and release. The fact is, at this point in time racial abilities are expected to be in release.

Asura and Sylvari weren't playable in the last beta...I guess we'll see if they will be in the game once it is released. http://smiliesftw.com/x/happysad.gif

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Tonka View Post
    The game is still in beta. Tons of things could change between now and release.
    Exactly, which is why them missing is worth pointing out. Just as traits were missing from the GDC build and came back in the press beta completely revamped.

Clearly not Tonko
    BG Level

Even if they are changing the racial elites in some way, I believe there will still be racial elites at release. But you are right, I cannot prove that.

Formerly Raitoken
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

As far as them being weaker, which is fine, the point that makes something useful is if it's unique.

A racial might do something that other abilities can't like give said profession a dot they would otherwise not have which could affect getting out of combat or re-stealthing(thinking WoW rules here just to give an example).

I think I'll end up going human. I regretting for a long time in FFXI going elvaan for several reasons and still think humans do look good in everything because they are in proportion.