View Poll Results: Which Profession Are You Most Excited About?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Engineer

3 5.45%
  • Elementalist

13 23.64%
  • Guardian

9 16.36%
  • Mesmer

5 9.09%
  • Necromancer

7 12.73%
  • Ranger

7 12.73%
  • Thief

8 14.55%
  • Warrior

3 5.45%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Clearly not Tonko
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Solace View Post
    Char male Warrior, Hume female Elementalist, Sylvari male Ranger.
    Those all seem wildly race appropriate. Lol.

I still have no clue, but Thf Mes Gar and Ele are my top choices atm

I'm usually not really into pet classes, but the pet system they have for the Ranger sounds interesting. Between traits, skills, gear, and the number of pets available each with unique skills, the pet system seems to have a ton of utility. Your pet being able to get you up from downed state or pull every condition from all nearby allies onto itself are just some of the things that make me excited for it.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Eanae View Post
    Ranger has universally always been the top picked class across mmos in my experience.
    Thought you said "among morons" for a minute there, heh. I was gonna say, "this isn't WoW at launch anymore!"

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

I didn't say it but I was thinking it.

Clearly not Tonko
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zerocool View Post
    I'm usually not really into pet classes, but the pet system they have for the Ranger sounds interesting. Between traits, skills, gear, and the number of pets available each with unique skills, the pet system seems to have a ton of utility. Your pet being able to get you up from downed state or pull every condition from all nearby allies onto itself are just some of the things that make me excited for it.
    Pet rezzing you is pretty awesome. Lol!

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

It's between warrior and thief for me. I was leaning towards thief but after watching more and more vids, i get the feeling that stealth will not be that great with all the warrior AOE going on in group fights. Need beta to decide.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Necromancer>Ranger>Warrior>Guardian>Mesmer>Element ist>Thief>Engineer

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rysan Wulfric
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Definitely going to start as a Guardian.

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Eanae View Post
    Guardian for now. Sword and board is usually always my style, I'm in some ways disappointed about the lack of holy trinity because of my enjoyment of tanking, but I think I can get used to it.
    I think that too... unfortunately, the Guardian Shield skills are not nearly as "defensive" as the warrior's. I am leaning towards moving away from tanking now that its not 100% required for a group. Elementalist is probably going to be where I start. Seeing as the more I see dungeons, the more I believe there may not be a trinity, but there are definitely "roles" in which make things easier, and healer is one of them.

Plus if I played Guardian I would just be Banishing everything and pulling extra mobs for fun.

Onto plan B...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Paladin and Warrior for life. Really though, I like the way Guardian is shaping up to be more of a team player than some other classes, so this will be my main. However, after saying that, I feel that I'll want to bash some faces in equal amounts so I'll probably level Guardian and Warrior at the same time, not letting them get too far apart.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Tonka View Post
    Those all seem wildly race appropriate. Lol.
    Yeah, now that you mention it. I was just trying to pick according to what race/sex would look the best playing the role.

Anti-crusade crusader
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

So I've been keeping up with the game, and Engineer seems like the class I'll main. It's such a complex class that requires a lot of thought into what you want to do. Trying to find a good build with the skills tool, but I can't seem to find a good balance. Although, I do like the Grenade Kit. I might just load up on turrets, and call it a day. Healing/Rocket/Thumper/Net Turret seems like a good loadout.

When I first started following GW2 more often than once every 6 months or so, I thought I'd end up playing an Engineer. It's really solid conceptually, and the artwork for it on the official site does a really good job of selling the profession. I mean really, who doesn't want to be a badass Charr wielding firearms and countless explosives?
    That appeal faded once I started seeing some of the gameplay videos. It's gonna be an awesome profession, but the gameplay just looks so terribly unrewarding. The gun play in particular feels pretty lackluster when placed alongside the visceral melee combat other professions are getting. Then there's the huge monkey wrench that is switching out all those kits. After doing a lot of mage work in the past and it being so damn twitchy, I didn't want to get myself into that again. It looks like a job that's got so much potential, but it's going to take a lot to learn how to manage it all properly. I fell into that trap in GW1 with Mesmer and it killed the game for me because I was absolutely terrible at it.

So I started looking at the other options. Nothing really jumped out at me right away other than Elementalist as just a pretty face to look at. Once the press beta videos rolled in I started to get a better sense of what each profession had to offer, and I just sort of gravitated toward Warrior. It's odd though, Warrior classes always have this stigma about them as sort of the non-thinking man's class, and in the past I've steered clear of them in MMOs. Hitting things with a sword all day in an MMO tends to get boring quickly, but the way GW2 combat is shaping up, it looks like it'll be engaging enough to overlook that concern. Or maybe it's the fact that deep down I just want to smash people in the face with a sledgehammer and playing a Charr Warrior makes that fantasy so very very accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by GoggleHead View Post
    When I first started following GW2 more often than once every 6 months or so, I thought I'd end up playing an Engineer. It's really solid conceptually, and the artwork for it on the official site does a really good job of selling the profession. I mean really, who doesn't want to be a badass Charr wielding firearms and countless explosives?
    That appeal faded once I started seeing some of the gameplay videos. It's gonna be an awesome profession, but the gameplay just looks so terribly unrewarding. The gun play in particular feels pretty lackluster when placed alongside the visceral melee combat other professions are getting. Then there's the huge monkey wrench that is switching out all those kits. After doing a lot of mage work in the past and it being so damn twitchy, I didn't want to get myself into that again. It looks like a job that's got so much potential, but it's going to take a lot to learn how to manage it all properly. I fell into that trap in GW1 with Mesmer and it killed the game for me because I was absolutely terrible at it.
    I feel the same way. I first saw the overviews of the classes and thought Engineer would definitely be the way i would go. But I saw the Yogscast spotlights, and it sorta lost appeal for me. The I watched gameplay of Elementalist and thought it looked amazing and really dynamic. I've also taken an interest in Mesmer, too.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Mmm if i roll a warrior, first piece of heavy chest armor is getting dyed blurple.