+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Condition Removal     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Condition Removal

I was thinking about how in this game there are no hexes and no (direct) interrupts. So the only things that affect the flow of the battle are:
    - Damage output
    - Crowd Control
    - Conditions
    - Boons (=buffs)

And of course stats/attributes/traits etc, but let's leave that out for now. With crowd control I don't mean snares because to me that's just a condition. For CC I mean stuff like lines that you can't cross because of Guardian's skills, knockdowns, stun etc.

Let's take a look at the conditions currently in the game:
    Bleed: Inflicts X damage per second. (Stacks intensity.)
    Poison: Inflicts X damage per second. Reduces outgoing heals by 33%. (Stacks duration now.)
    Burning: Inflicts X damage per second. (Stacks duration now.)
    Cripple: 50% movement-speed reduction.
    Chill: 66% movement-speed reduction. 66% skill cooldown increase.
    Immobilize: 100% movement-speed reduction.
    Weakness: Attacks result in a glancing blow 50% of the time and endurance regeneration is slowed.
    Vulnerable: Lowered the amount of armor it reduces, but allowed it to stack so that it creates moments of super-high vulnerability for damage spiking.
    Blind: Your next hit misses.
    Fear: You flee from your opponent.
    Confusion: Inflicts X damage each time a foe attacks. (New condition; stacks intensity.)
    Conditions were fairly important in GW1, in that in PvP a general purpose build always had some form of condition removal.

If you look at GW2 professions, and look at how many condition removal skills they have (using current, probably incomplete, wiki information):
    Guardian: 10 skills
    Ele: 7 skills
    Necro: 6 skills
    Engineer: 5 skills
    Ranger: 3 skills
    Mesmer: 2 skills
    Warrior: 2 skills
    Thief: 0 skills

I think the numbers kinda speak for themselves. Some professions are better at it than others. I think this gives some professions a slight advantage, because almost all professions are excellent at applying conditions. And (knowing Arenanet a bit) in PvE the harder mobs will probably dish out a fair amount of conditions too.

Of course, this includes maybe some downed skills and I didn't look at possible traits that may perhaps remove conditions automatically. Also, it's possible that conditions aren't as bad as in GW1. For example, blind seems seriously nerfed here (makes you miss only the next attack instead of a set duration, still useful if it's AoE). But a 66% movement snare still looks pretty nasty if you have no way of removing it (in case of the thief). Same for DoTs.

Am I missing something with regards to the thief? Does stealth perhaps remove conditions? The thief may have more mobility but that doesn't help much if you have 3 stacked conditions on you, right?

Guess I'll have to play one to see how it goes...

Clearly not Tonko
    BG Level

About the Thief, here's a quote from Eric Flannum:
    This is the part where we aren't done with the game quite yet Thieves will have other forms of condition removal in addition to the trait you mention.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

That was fast man. Good to know!

also daze and knock downs are pretty direct for interrupts. Thief has a trait that removes conditions while in stealth. 1 condition for each second in stealth or something similar

Clearly not Tonko
    BG Level

Fear is an interrupt too.

Effects causing interruption

Daze
    Fear
    Knock down
    Knockback
    Launch
    Pull
    Stun

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Yea, I was referring to GW1-style interrupting when I said "direct interrupts". Like dshot in GW1. A stun would be indirect (direct effect: stun; indirect: interrupt a skill/action).

Yea there are no skills made just for interrupting for sure. It wont make sense either since there is really no casting time on skills or spells. Now its more about a total interrupt of the player actions, which in a sense is better due to lag having less of an impact this way too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
    Yea, I was referring to GW1-style interrupting when I said "direct interrupts". Like dshot in GW1. A stun would be indirect (direct effect: stun; indirect: interrupt a skill/action).
    So you mean something like Kick?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    So you mean something like Kick?
    Not really since kick is a knock back, I think he means stuff like signet of clumsiness

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Signet_of_Clumsiness

Interrupts an attack for target foe and all adjacent foes. Interruption effect: deals 15...51...60 damage; knocks down foes using attack skills.

Skills like these only work if you are interrupting a skill or spell etc, their main focus is to interrupt, In GW2 its very different, Kick will knock back even if the person isnt doing anything, the interrupt is just an effect of being knocked back.

I meant WoW Rogue kick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    I meant WoW Rogue kick.
    How dare you! lol

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

Personally I'd love to see some pure interrupts like kick. Stopping things as they happen adds to the skill ceiling.

Elementalist

Skills
    Healing Wave(offhand dagger water attunement) - Heal yourself and nearby allies, removing a condition. 40sec CD
    Magnetic Wave(offhand focus earth attunement) - Damage foes, remove conditions, and reflect projectiles with a magnetic surge. 25sec CD
    Healing Rain(staff water attunement) - Call down a healing rain on target area, granting regeneration to allies and also removes conditions. 45sec CD
    Windborne Speed(staff air attunement) - You and nearby allies gain swiftness, while removing cripple, immobilize, and chill. 20sec CD
    Pheonix (mainhand scepter fire attunement) - Release a fiery phoenix that first attacks foes in a line, then explodes and returns to you, removing conditions and granting you Vigor. 15sec CD
    Ether Renewal(healing skill) - Heal yourself and lose a condition with every pulse. 15sec CD
    Cleansing Fire(utility skill) - Remove all conditions and break out of stun, while burning foes. 30sec CD
    Signet of Water(utility skill) - Passive: Removes a condition every three seconds.

Traits
    None known at this time.

Warrior

Skills
    Charge(offhand warhorn) - Grant swiftness to yourself and allies, while removing chill, cripple, and immobilize. 20sec CD
    Mending(utility skill) - Heal yourself and remove a condition. 20sec CD
    Signet of Stamina(utility skill) - Active: Removes all conditions. 45sec CD
    Shake it Off(utility skill) - Remove a condition from yourself and nearby allies. It can also break stuns. (Area of effect: 100 feet) 25sec CD

Traits
    None known at this time.

Ranger

Skills
    Healing Spring(healing skill) - Create a healing spring that also removes conditions from you and your allies. 30sec CD
    Signet of Renewal(utility skill) - Passive: Removes a condition every ten seconds. Active: Your pet pulls all conditions from nearby allies to itself. 25sec CD
    Spirit of Nature(elite skill) - Summon a spirit that heals allies. Command the spirit to revive and remove conditions from nearby allies. 3min CD

Traits
    Empathic Bond(major trait wilderness survival) - Your pet periodically takes conditions from you.

Necromancer

Skills
    Putrid Mark(staff) - Inscribe a mark that transfers conditions from allies to foes when triggered by a foe. 25sec CD
    Deathly Swarm(mainhand scepter) - Unleash an insect swarm on multiple foes. Remove three of your conditions on a successful attack. 15sec CD
    Consume Conditions(healing skill) - Feast on your conditions, gaining health for each one consumed. 25sec CD
    Plague Signet(utility skill) - Passive: Transfers conditions from nearby allies to yourself.
    Well of Power(utility skill) - Transform conditions on allies into boons every two seconds. 30sec CD

Traits
    None known at this time

Guardian

Skills
    Virtue of Resolve(virtue) - Regenerate health. Activate: Remove conditions and regenerate nearby allies. 40sec CD
    Purge Conditions(hammer) - Purge up to five conditions from nearby allies and burn nearby foes. 18sec CD
    Martyr(Staff) - Draw conditions from nearby allies to yourself. Gain fury, might, protection, regeneration, swiftness, and vigor. 50sec CD
    Ray of Judgement(offhand focus) - Pass a ray over foes and allies. Foes are damaged and blinded. Allies gain regeneration and lose 1 condition. 25sec CD
    Cleansing Flame(offhand torch) - Throw a cone of celestial fire in front of you, scorching foes while removing conditions from allies. 20sec CD
    Signet of Resolve(healing skill) - Passive: Removes a condition every 10 seconds.
    Smite Condition(utility skill) - Remove a condition and damage nearby foes. Damage is doubled if a condition is removed. Can be used while stunned. 20sec CD
    Contemplation of Purity(utility skill) - Remove all conditions from yourself and turn them into boons. 60sec CD
    Bow of Truth(utility skill) - Summon an arcane bow to remove conditions from you and your allies. 60sec CD

Traits
    Final Restoration(major trait zeal) - Smite conditions when health reaches 25%.
    Pure of Voice(major trait honor) - Shouts remove conditions.
    Purity of Resolve(major trait virtues) - Resolve removes two conditions instead of one.

Thief

Skills
    None known at this time.

Traits
    Shadow's Embrace(major trait shadow arts) - Remove one condition every three seconds while in stealth.

Engineer

Skills
    Elixir Spray(elixir gun) - Spray elixir fumes in a cone pattern poisoning enemies and removing conditions from allies. 10sec CD
    Drop Antidote(Med Kit) - Drop a vial of antidote that removes conditions. 10sec CD
    Elixir C(utility skill) - Drink Elixir C, converting all conditions into random boons. 60sec CD
    Elixir R(utility skill) - Drink Elixir R, recovering from Stun and losing all conditions. 45sec CD

Traits
    Cleaning Formula 409(major trait alchemy) - Throwing or consuming elixirs removes conditions from those effected.
    Transmute(minor master alchemy) - 3% chance to convert incoming conditions into boons.

Mesmer

Skills
    Null Field(utility skill) - Create a field of energy for 7 seconds that removes all boons from enemies, and removes all conditions from allies. 45sec CD
    Mantra of Resolve(utility skill) - Meditate, charging a spell that will remove all of your conditions. 30sec CD

Traits
    None known at this time.