Blog Entries

Ok, I am now interested in this game.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meek Marcello
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Maybe i'll play it when it has a 15$ sale or it's completely F2P.

Glad to see they adopted the DCUO premium model.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Next to go F2P is Wildstar.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I may check it out now that its free, and we all know it'd be free sooner than later. Soon we'll be back to just having WoW and ARR as P2P, and right now those are the only two who deserve it.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    .....ARR as P2P, and right now those are the only two who deserve it.
    Paying 12 bucks a month to log on once a week (yay lockouts) to do 1 dungeon as the only endgame content that matters (yay vertical gear progression), doesn´t really qualify as "deserves a P2P" for me. Also the reason I quit this shit game a couple months ago.

That's pretty much all MMOs where raiding is king, though.

Personally, I'm more burnt out on tossing devs money out of faith they'd give content I'd like to see and rarely deliver. You can't have economies when you're so gunshy about RMT that you either exclude things players can reliably farm or make crafted stuff so blatantly inferior to dungeon/raid stuff it's a fool's game to throw money at it. You can't base things on dailies/weeklies/lockouts because they effectively punish those who can't meet their requirements for whatever reason. Open world activities need to matter, and that can be achieved without 24+ hour spawns, 1% drop rates, group or GTFO, or whatever.

There's always a certain irony to seeing people claim casuals are killing MMOs, but damn near everywhere I look, it feels more like the hardcore 10-15% are getting the lion's share of dev time. Gimme things I like and I'll buy 'em, no problem. I don't even really care if it'd wind up costing more than a year's worth of subs if I actually wound up playing for 2/3 that. Would be nice if more games took a page out of the Magian/Abyssea-style reward scheme. Lots to do, no impossible to do, and usually multiple angles to snag an item from.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post

Personally, I'm more burnt out on tossing devs money out of faith they'd give content I'd like to see and rarely deliver. You can't have economies when you're so gunshy about RMT that you either exclude things players can reliably farm or make crafted stuff so blatantly inferior to dungeon/raid stuff it's a fool's game to throw money at it. You can't base things on dailies/weeklies/lockouts because they effectively punish those who can't meet their requirements for whatever reason. Open world activities need to matter, and that can be achieved without 24+ hour spawns, 1% drop rates, group or GTFO, or whatever.

There's always a certain irony to seeing people claim casuals are killing MMOs, but damn near everywhere I look, it feels more like the hardcore 10-15% are getting the lion's share of dev time. Gimme things I like and I'll buy 'em, no problem. I don't even really care if it'd wind up costing more than a year's worth of subs if I actually wound up playing for 2/3 that. Would be nice if more games took a page out of the Magian/Abyssea-style reward scheme. Lots to do, no impossible to do, and usually multiple angles to snag an item from.
    This is a really great post and I completely agree. Maybe(probably) this is the wrong place to put this, but prior to Abyssea doing endgame in FFXI at times felt like self abuse after months would turn into a year and more of not getting shit for all of the time and effort put in. Abyssea made it feel good to play again even if the rewards weren't the absolute greatest. If I can pick this game up on the low and if it's a similar feel as Abyssea(or close enough to it) I'll probably stick with it.

gamesrocket.com has it for $12.49 right now. http://us.gamesrocket.com/download/T...6&currency=USD

I've never heard of this site, but isthereanydeal.com uses them so I'm assuming it's legit. You can pay with paypal so there is some protection.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

So are they basically going to a gw2-type model now?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I'm trying to remember; did GW2 charge for the base game? I played it day one, I just can't remember that far back.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Yep. And they didn't charge for the story content they've made since then. There is talk of a new expansion in the gw2 forum now that will be a purchase I think.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post

Could someone explain Abyssea-style stuff to me either on here or a PM, I'm curious how the system worked as I quit long before it was introduced. I did play during the golden age of 11 with kings/sky/sea etc tho. I'm playing through FF14 again but I missed out on 5 major patches so I'm having "fun" catching up. But I know if I played at the release of each patch, I'd be bored/irritated as fuck.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Koul View Post
    Could someone explain Abyssea-style stuff to me either on here or a PM, I'm curious how the system worked as I quit long before it was introduced. I did play during the golden age of 11 with kings/sky/sea etc tho. I'm playing through FF14 again but I missed out on 5 major patches so I'm having "fun" catching up. But I know if I played at the release of each patch, I'd be bored/irritated as fuck.
    EZ mode WoW style dailies/rep/credits type of stuff. Farming trash for "raid" gear. Like if you farmed merit mobs for better gear, to farm more merit mobs, but just to stand in town and not do Raids/HNNMs/etc. Which is what casuals have been clamoring for years about; they want raid gear because other people have it, but they dont want to have to raid to get it.

Yeah, how dare people have something worthwhile to do without needing to suck the nuts of douchebags 24/7.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

^ Not that I give a particular shit about this, but all of those non-douchebags could always team up and do the content themselves... without the presence of said douchebags. Should work fine so long as those non-douchebags are actually being honest about NOT being douchebags and won't suddenly transform into douchebags when presented with the spoils of difficult content.

Its almost as if douchebags are manufactured through victory of said cont-

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    ^ Not that I give a particular shit about this, but all of those non-douchebags could always team up and do the content themselves... without the presence of said douchebags. Should work fine so long as those non-douchebags are actually being honest about NOT being douchebags and won't suddenly transform into douchebags when presented with the spoils of difficult content.

Its almost as if douchebags are manufactured through victory of said cont-
    Yeah, some of it is indeed a matter of feeling who deserves what at that moment of truth. The more "in" you're in with whatever group's leadership, then odds improve significantly. I've never been a fan of requiring out-of-game point systems, though, even if I do understand why some try to run them. Unfortunately, it only takes one bad decision to turn it all to shit. Token systems can at least mitigate this, but as long as bosses have actual drops, shit's still a factor.

More related to personal experience, however, the more bodies you add to an equation, the more you're likely to find clashes in personality. It doesn't really matter what the particular spark of discontent is, you're going to have those within a group who do not want to help other members. Telling others to play nice isn't always going to work. When one side of the disenfranchised winds up feeling the other is getting preferential treatment, or worse, their own needs ignored, things can only really go downhill from there. "So find the group that works for you!" is really fucking easy to say, but much harder to actually pull off in practice. Especially if said games still force paying for server transfers or have no way to directly interact with players of other servers in-game first. And then there's the matter of player schedules reliably meshing, which tends to be my bigger issue, and no doubt that of those with (young) families.

All this, though, before skill even enters the equation. In the end, my beef with the raider's privilege is they too often delude themselves into believing that no amount of work within another activity should match their own. I could be even harsher in this critique, but it's really just all rooted in being sick of rewarding people who just want to hold others back so they, themselves, can feel superior. Get your loot faster, fine. Be the only source of meaningful progression? No bueno.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

ZOS has decided to make TESO go B2P a day early, so you can all now download the game and play.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag