Closed Thread
Page 293 of 1204 FirstFirst ... 243 283 291 292 293 294 295 303 343 ... LastLast
    Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Not really a fail except maybe on the part of the mill my friend worked at. I don't know where else to put this though, so it goes here.

I lost a great friend late last night. He was working on a machine at the mill when someone turned it on. The saddest part of all this, and my greatest source of grief is that he left behind 4 young daughters and a wife. He was the most solid man I knew. The world is a bleak place right now for everyone who knew him.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Acevalefor View Post
    Sad Stuff
    I'm sorry for your loss man. Losing friends is truly awful.

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Oh man that's terrible. It really sucks how the irresponsibility of one can result in the death of another. I obviously don't know all the details but it sounds like it was completely preventable. I hope that person faces consequences for his actions - though that isn't going to bring your friend back.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Astylla, I am also angry on your behalf. These people are paid to work with other people and allay their concerns and fears. It sounds like they're in the wrong profession. If they were judging you, they have no right. We know how hard you've been working and you're trying to get healthy. Fuck those shitty assholes. I hope your complaints are addressed.

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

Not really a fail except maybe on the part of the mill my friend worked at. I don't know where else to put this though, so it goes here.

I lost a great friend late last night. He was working on a machine at the mill when someone turned it on. The saddest part of all this, and my greatest source of grief is that he left behind 4 young daughters and a wife. He was the most solid man I knew. The world is a bleak place right now for everyone who knew him.
    I don't even have the words.. I am do sorry for your loss and the family's.
    It's just is so frustrating to hear it could have been prevented.. I can't even understand. My heart goes out to you and his loved ones.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Have to bring my car into the shop for a rework of a blown speaker and rattling sunglasses holder that wasn't fixed properly the last time. Due to a new job I really can't be asking for time off to drop off my car, so I was hoping to drop it off Saturday morning. Bastards told me that even though it's a rework, they won't begin covering my rental until monday since it would be dropped off on the weekend.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    Oh man that's terrible. It really sucks how the irresponsibility of one can result in the death of another. I obviously don't know all the details but it sounds like it was completely preventable. I hope that person faces consequences for his actions - though that isn't going to bring your friend back.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Thank you all for your consideration and condolences. The unwritten policy at the mill is for repairs to be done without locking out the machines to save shutdown and startup time. It's a terrible place to work and this is the 3rd death there in the last 10 years. So because some fuckwit rich motherfucker wanted to save the $50 in lost production time it would take to shut down the machine for 10 minutes, my friend had to die. I have no words for the anger and pain this has caused me and the people of the small community I grew up in. Brian was well known and respected and the loss is being felt by the entire town...

Aks, I hope the person who started the machine does not face any consequences beyond the incredible guilt and remorse he will feel for the rest of his life for taking someone else's life. It is the unwritten policy of the mill that caused this accident, not the guy who started the machine. He could not see that there was someone inside working on it.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

that's terrible, ace. sorry. maybe you could use his death to put pressure on the mill?

also astylla jesus christ where do you and myrrh find these people? you asked for help getting to the door and they just point!?!? what the fuck! that's possibly the worst thing in there, from a medical standpoint. if i tell the nurses at mayo i was feeling faint hours ago but am fine now, they make me call them to do anything other than lay there. if i actually asked for help getting around, i'd have everyone in earshot watching me like hawks.

what you describe is unacceptable. it's unprofessional, and not safe. fuck those people.

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    astylla jesus christ where do you and myrrh find these people? you asked for help getting to the door and they just point!?!? what the fuck! that's possibly the worst thing in there, from a medical standpoint. if i tell the nurses at mayo i was feeling faint hours ago but am fine now, they make me call them to do anything other than lay there. if i actually asked for help getting around, i'd have everyone in earshot watching me like hawks.

what you describe is unacceptable. it's unprofessional, and not safe. fuck those people.
    It's fucking Kaiser and California heh. This is just one of a laundry list of issues with Kaiser since 2009.

I went in for uterine biopsy in 2009 and they basically just told me "Oh while we are here we are going to do x , y and z too". When I questioned why the hell I wasn't informed of this in the 3 months prior they couldn't fucking even answer me.
    Left the office crying , ironically on Hallowen , my late mother's birthday and refuse to go back for 2 years.

Tried to get mental health help last year because my depression was completely taking over. Insisted on the phone over and over to please not put me with an intern. I would wait however long.
    Show up to appointment..person introduces themselves as an intern. I fucking lose it. Not mad at them individually but that again..not fucking listened to. Leave the office in worse condition than I started.

Then went to the pharmacy a month ago and was refused a consultation and questioned on what the medical name of a birth control I was prescribed , which I couldn't remember.
    Pretty much accused me of not actually having an appointment I just came from because I couldn't recite the name of the medication off the top of my head.

I could go on..but I did get an email from my doctor saying I am getting a referral for an open MRI..now to wait.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

The unwritten policy at the mill is for repairs to be done without locking out the machines to save shutdown and startup time. It's a terrible place to work and this is the 3rd death there in the last 10 years..
    Jesus Fucking Christ, that is horrible. It's really scary when your 'Days Since Last Employee Death' sign has a hard time hitting 4 digits. Time for the family to lawyer up. I wish you all the best of luck.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    Jesus Fucking Christ, that is horrible. It's really scary when your 'Days Since Last Employee Death' sign has a hard time hitting 4 digits. Time for the family to lawyer up. I wish you all the best of luck.
    Thanks. It's too soon to even think about any of that, but they have a solid case with precedent already set. The goal needs to be to provide for his wife and 4 daughters for the rest of their lives. I think admission of guilt, monetary restitution to the family, changing of the upper echelon at the mill and a complete overhaul of safety practices is a good start. Many people are calling for the mill to be forced into a sale since the current owners are responsible for at least 10 deaths since 1982. It's been 2 days. We will see what OR OSHA says and wait for the family to go through the grieving process.

Thanks. It's too soon to even think about any of that, but they have a solid case with precedent already set. The goal needs to be to provide for his wife and 4 daughters for the rest of their lives. I think admission of guilt, monetary restitution to the family, changing of the upper echelon at the mill and a complete overhaul of safety practices is a good start. Many people are calling for the mill to be forced into a sale since the current owners are responsible for at least 10 deaths since 1982. It's been 2 days. We will see what OR OSHA says and wait for the family to go through the grieving process.
    That history makes me want to throw up a little. All I can do is hope litigation proverbially skins those owners with a rusty spoon, but my hopes aren't high for the family or even those before. :/

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zimt Zucker
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Yeah, it seems like time that they learn that the safe way to do things is the most cost-effective too. I hope they get OSHA fines and sued to shit.

Unfortunately it's probably going to end up with the verdict of "worker ignoring safety precautions" and have little effect on the company, unless there's some way to find proof that it was the way the managers/owners wanted things.

Ace, man, I am so sorry. I can't even fathom something like that.

And I know I am going to sound like a terrible ass but, can we keep this thread to First World Problems? That was some serious feels I just had that I was not expecting to have. And Astylla's are more than just FWP, too, and it really seems like it sucks for her. Though, I'm all for a [Serious] thread in where people need to unload their shit and expect people to be decent human beings. I feel like these things could use a little more attention and empathy.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

We get a traumatic MVC a few nights ago, couldn't save him :/

State police dragged ass on the scene, Life Choice was calling to pick up organs before the police informed the kids family.

Bringer of Bacon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Ace, Sorry to hear about your friend... I hate to hear about this kind of thing anywhere, I live in Albany and this one hits very close to home. I know too many people through the state who work in mills, there are accidents all the time and most of them could have been easily prevented.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zimt Zucker
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Currently sitting on the floor of my bathroom, between episodes of puking my guts out and shitting them out.

Fuck fair food.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Aidin View Post
    Ace, Sorry to hear about your friend... I hate to hear about this kind of thing anywhere, I live in Albany and this one hits very close to home. I know too many people through the state who work in mills, there are accidents all the time and most of them could have been easily prevented.
    So you know the name of the mill then. It's in Mill City. You also probably know about the mill that burnt to the ground a few months ago because some oil was stored next to the veneer dryer blower. I don't know what it is like in other mill towns, but everything from Sweethome to Mill City to Silverton is so full of unsafe shit in the name of making more money for the owners that I won't go anywhere near any of those mills or purchase product from them.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

We get graded on surveys from members about their road service. We just found out today from our National rep that we are allowed to dispute surveys and have them altered or removed. We have been taking a beating from our director for 10 years and he never knew about this. So ten years of just missing the national goal could very well have been ten years of surpassing it. First time I've ever seen my boss dumbfounded and speechless. The ramifications of this are fucking massive.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Found this real winner on POF last night, loooool
    Spoiler: show

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

good lookin, no commitment, and it's literally impossible to get her preggers, sounds like a win to me.