Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Awesome, so the Red Curry isn't just an isolated incident, certain old 100+ recipes aren't showing up for other crafts as well. At 100 skill, Jacodaut wasn't giving me Red Curry as an option, now Hakeem won't give it to me. I wonder if every skill has at least one recipe like this.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

So maybe we should make a 100+ skillup thread...?

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Sounds like a great idea actually. I can do it tomorrow evening if no one compiles the 100+ recipes from this thread beforehand.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Whyyy would you not just use the New Recipes thread?

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aumaan Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus View Post
    OK, I just went to the Smithing Guild and talked to the NPCs, and my ranges were way off. My Smithing skill is 57. The highest recipe that Hugues, the free support NPC, would give me was level 61, meaning a range of 1 to 4. The highest recipe that Wise Owl, the advanced support NPC, gave me was 66 and the lowest was 62, meaning a range of 5 to 9. If this pattern holds true for over 100 (no reason why it shouldn't) hexed gear will cap between 105 and 109. The only cooking recipe that I cannot get at 100.9 is Himesama Rice Ball, which I would guess is 110 skill. I need to just try to get that last 0.1 to see if it shows up in the advance support NPC listing.
    Some more data on this: I just cranked through this process with my level 87 blacksmithing mule. Free support npc gave me 88-91 synths, for a +1-+4 range as expected, but the (disturbing galka) advanced support npc gave me 92-97 recipes, for a +5-+10 range, one more than he did for you at 57. Oddly, he only gave me about half of the available 97 recipes, even though I spammed him enough to get all of the 92-96 recipes. The mule is 87.6, but I'd prefer not to think that the recipe suggestion npcs take partial levels into account somehow. Anyway, this may mean that at 100 we're already being shown all recipes up to 110, and at the least it's going to make nailing down some of the higher-end recipes' exact levels take a little more paranoia.

Makes me wonder if the suggestion range shrinks at low levels, not that it really matters for anything.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Aumaan_Kujata View Post
    Some more data on this: I just cranked through this process with my level 87 blacksmithing mule. Free support npc gave me 88-91 synths, for a +1-+4 range as expected, but the (disturbing galka) advanced support npc gave me 92-97 recipes, for a +5-+10 range, one more than he did for you at 57. Oddly, he only gave me about half of the available 97 recipes, even though I spammed him enough to get all of the 92-96 recipes. The mule is 87.6, but I'd prefer not to think that the recipe suggestion npcs take partial levels into account somehow. Anyway, this may mean that at 100 we're already being shown all recipes up to 110, and at the least it's going to make nailing down some of the higher-end recipes' exact levels take a little more paranoia.

Makes me wonder if the suggestion range shrinks at low levels, not that it really matters for anything.
    Well, Atum's skills are all fairly low, I can talk to some recipe guys with him to see what those ranges are any smaller than at 50-ish and 87-ish.

We can get a good test when we get some cooks at 105 cooking skill. If Date Tea and Dragon Fruit au Lait both drop to Hakeem at 105, it means that we can use the point when recipes go to the other NQ support NPC as a solid reference of 4 over your skill even over level 100. Looks like I need to head on out to Fort Karugo-Narugo (S) for loads and loads of Dragon Fruit. >_>

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    Whyyy would you not just use the New Recipes thread?
    Hell of a good point, just noticed that as I was coming back to this thread lol.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well aren't some of the old 100+? And some of the new under a 100? I thought that was kinda why 100+ skillups were being talked about in here instead of there lol

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

the new under 100 are already known since they're announced by a certain NPC. I know I pointed out which cloth/bone are under 100, i dunno if others did.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Tested Goldsmithing guild with Atum. Atum has a level 2 goldsmithing skill, Wulfnoth gave him recipes between 3 and 6, Fatimah gave him recipes between 7 and 12. So it seems that the ranges do not scale and I just got unlucky when I was spamming Wise Owl for recipes. (I talked to him a good 40-50 times.) Will be useful for nailing down ranges.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

So if I understand that Wulfnoth will just give me recipes 1-3 lvls higher than me and Fatimah will give ones 5-10 higher than me? Does that include skill from gear/mog/support?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

1-4, 5-10. I don't think it includes gear/etc. At least, putting on and taking off all the skill gear I had with me when I was spamming earlier had no impact on the recipes I was given.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Anyone found a decent place to farm demon horns? I'm not normally the farming type, but I can potentially use a ton of them for the 60>70 bone push.

PS: yes, I may just go the white mouton route for part of the stretch

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zouri View Post
    It may not be 60-70, But for anyone doing leather above 100... Panther Masks DO cap at 102... So they are a cheap and easy way to get 2 levels at least. Hermes' sandals gave a 0.1 skill above 101 also. Not that anyone would skill up on those, but still worth noting. Urja Trousers seem to cap at level 104 (i stopped trying after 10 straight synths with no skill ups @ 104.0...) Urja Jerkin has gotten me to 105.2 and Attacker's Mantle caps above 105 also. Not sure about the leather since i can never find hides up.
    Are you sure Urja caps at 102? 9 synths without a skillup, but more significantly another HQ.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Check the npcs. As far as I can tell all the new recipes are on them so you can tell right away if you are at under the cap or not in seconds

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Urja Trousers is 102 cap. BTW, someone explain the recipe NPCs. I know I've seen the explanation, but that was years ago and I can't find anything on it now. Kipopo is the NQ support NPC who gives a random recipe. Tek Lengyon is the NQ support NPC who gives a list. Orechiniel is the HQ support NPC. At 102, what level recipes will each of them give?

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aumaan Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Weeks View Post
    Urja Trousers is 102 cap. BTW, someone explain the recipe NPCs. I know I've seen the explanation, but that was years ago and I can't find anything on it now. Kipopo is the NQ support NPC who gives a random recipe. Tek Lengyon is the NQ support NPC who gives a list. Orechiniel is the HQ support NPC. At 102, what level recipes will each of them give?
    Current theory is that the list npc gives everything up to your current cap, NQ support npc gives recipes 1-4 levels above you, and HQ support npc gives recipes 5-10 levels above you. Random old recipes can be missing from any of them for unknown-but-probably-sloppiness-related reasons.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I think any missing recipes is from gear added before ToAU

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

My lazy smithing skillup path is:

60->66 : Negoroshiki - If no one has bombed the Tenshudo since the last update and your fame is good(?), this will NPC there for 18k each. The price takes forever to recover, so bomb the NPCs one at a time. My experience is that Bastok can take 30, Tenshodo can take ~40, and Jeuno can take ~50. One rotation of them got me to 64, but I sold some to other NPCs as well (12300 gil). I approximately broke even on this synth.

66->72 : Darksteel Pick - Classic NPC synth. They go for 12k. Profit or break even.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I apologize for the necrobump, but I wanted to mention another couple good options to get Smithing to 70.

Darksteel Cap - I believe the cap on this is 72 with a Leather sub in the mid 30s. When I leveled in the 50s I saved all the Darksteel Sheets I had made and used them here. I bought the stacks of Tiger Leather. This is a really good option for those who either have Bonecraft main, or have a LS member with Bonecraft main. This is the main ingredient for making Hecatomb Caps. Since they are now T1, Bonecrafters will buy these in mass quantities whenever they attempt to HQ some Heca Caps.

I sold each one to a LS friend for 25k each. Though they currently (on Shiva) go for 40k at AH. You can sell at that price and make more profit, but at 25k you will make your money back from the Darksteel synths in the 50s.