1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 3 hours, 48 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 20 hours, 11 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 20 hours, 48 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 13 hours, 11 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
    Relic Weapons
    BG Level

How Classes and Jobs should've been

First off, I'd like to introduce myself. Been a long time fan and reader of these forums since the beginning of FFXI, but never interacted/posted before. I was at work today and my mind started wandering about this game and what coulda, shoulda, woulda been in this game to set the stage for 2.0 in terms of the classes and jobs.

Some of the ideas I`ve had may have been stated before. If so, i apologize. I tried posted on the official forums but for some reason it wouldn't let me. Anywho:

I like what Yoshi has done with the classes evolving into jobs. He did the best with what he had, but I feel more or different changes should've been done so this game would be ready when 2.0 comes out. This is the perfect time to change and play around with the mechanics even though it might piss the current players off right now, but to be honest, this game isn't gonna survive with the current player base.

I have major problems with 2 classes right now and I feel yoshi dropped the ball on them. They are Archer and Gladiator. In my opinion Archer is nothing like a bard and Gladiator is nothing like a paladin. When I think gladiator, I think a master of weapons and fighting... adapting to any situation. These are the changes I would've made and feel like they should've to help balance things out...

Gladiator
    Take away the shield and make gladiator a dual wielding sword class. Give them stances... an offensive stance for damage dealing, and a defensive stance for tanking. Defensive stance could give them an increase in parry and emnity boosts for parry and counters.

The evolution of gladiator could be a new job SE creates called blade dancer or use previous lore and make a berserker, but make them specialize more on offense and less on tanking. The reason for less tanking is because I feel like Marauder > Warrior is exactly the way the class/job should be. At lvl 50, warrior should be one of the main tanks in game like it is now. Its playing exactly as intended in my opinion.

So gladiatior has tanking skills up to lvl cap, and at lvl cap, warrior is more specialized for tanking while gladiator/berserker/whatever is more for damage.

What happens to paladin you ask? They should've never tied paladin into gladiator. Again, in my opinion, they should've made a whole new class for paladin prior to the 2.0 launch. Create a class called sentinel which is your typical shield type character and let it evolve into paladin. Paladin should be the 2nd main tank in the game and should be self sufficient at keeping itself alive to allow less whm in a party, opening the slot for damage or whatever you want. I feel like this balances out the tanks so you have a warrior who blood tanks and sponges heals, but holds aggro and deals damage as a tank, or paladin who needs less support allowing you more options for jobs in a party. Paladin quest could also be started near Owls Nest.

Archer
    With that out of the way, we're left with archer. Archer should not be singing or playing instruments or anything like that. Archer is a ranged fighter and it's job should've been hunter or ranger. Ranged fighter with a pet and traps. Enfeeble enemies with different arrows tipped in poisons. Elemental damage with fire arrows, etc. The usual mmo stuff.

So what happens to bard? Prior to 2.0 release, they could've released a minstrel class which evolves into bard. Minstrel buffs up party and does light enfeebles; bard has better enfeebles, party buffs, and crowd control abilities.

The game would be a lot more balanced imo this way. Gladiator dual wielding would be the preferred tank til lvl cap. Job would make it more melee oriented. War would stay as is and take over main tank at 50. Sentinel being release would tank til lvl cap. Paladin will give people a 2nd option for tank and offer equal tanking ability but different utility then a war. I would also propose that when the lvl cap is lifted, that war gets more offensive minded abilities to ease them out of main tank while paladin increases on tanking and survivability abilities. War can still tank great, but paladin would be preferred which was their supposed intention.

Other changes I would like to see would be jump or elusive jump actually keeping you in the air for a couple of seconds and allowing you to evade a move like hellfire. But thats another can of worms for a different day.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

All of this is baseless speculation and completely unnecessary at this point. What you're suggesting isn't even feasible anymore since it involves backpedaling on things that have just been implemented.

Nothing more needs to be said.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

This is not OF

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    This is not OF
    my first thoughts

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

To be fair, this is a forum, and he has every right to express his opinion. If we always respond like this to newcomers, then we're not gonna get many. I for one wouldn't mind some new opinion up in this little section of ours. It's kinda the same 15-20 people everyday lol Love you guys, but I think the regulars here probably know, or could make a really good guess at, what each and every other regular would say in response to any and all posts lol

I guess it's not really the type of discussion we have around here though. Shall we burn him at the stake or tar 'n feather?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Jorildyn View Post
    If we always respond like this to newcomers, then we're not gonna get many.
    Isn't that like... BG's hook?

Little Mother
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze View Post
    All of this is baseless speculation and completely unnecessary at this point. What you're suggesting isn't even feasible anymore since it involves backpedaling on things that have just been implemented.

Nothing more needs to be said.
    Pretty much. Could've, Should've, Would've doesn't really mean much now.