+ Reply to Thread
    Unique and/or Creative Phrase
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Shared Server Recommendations

A lot of the CS internships I've been applying for have asked if I have any web/database (MySQL, PHP, javascript, etc) experience. I do not have any.

I'm looking at getting my own shared server that I can mess around on, and eventually host a sort of profile/resume page on.

I'd like it to be cheap, and also for it to be able to support most of the popular server configurations (MySQL, PHP, Javascript, AJAX?), etc. I'd also like it to have linux, so I can SSH and mess around with that as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations? This would be a learning experience, so I'm obviously not looking for anything too permanent/expensive.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Cayos View Post
    A lot of the CS internships I've been applying for have asked if I have any web/database (MySQL, PHP, javascript, etc) experience. I do not have any.

I'm looking at getting my own shared server that I can mess around on, and eventually host a sort of profile/resume page on.

I'd like it to be cheap, and also for it to be able to support most of the popular server configurations (MySQL, PHP, Javascript, AJAX?), etc. I'd also like it to have linux, so I can SSH and mess around with that as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations? This would be a learning experience, so I'm obviously not looking for anything too permanent/expensive.
    Whats cheap?

I use a dedi from here:

http://www.kimsufi.co.uk/

Cheapest plan is £13.99 /month or 18.35$ USD a month.

You get root and can do anything you want on it, including torrenting (the reason I use it)

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

That's a dedicated server, which is why it's so expensive. All the shared servers I've seen are around $5/month.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I've not known a shared hosting package to provide SSH access, but then I've never tried. A free application such as WinSCP (a FTP app) does have a "command based interface" which I think is SSH?

You can try http://www.1and1.com/ -- I use the UK version and have been with them for the last 10 years. I've never tried to SSH it before.

Regarding AJAX/Javascript, AJAX is just basically Javascript, and all systems support Javascript as like a standard.

http://www.1and1.com/Hosting?__lf=gu...5C8.TCpfix244b

The $5/month package (fuck me that's cheap compared to the shit we get in the UK) will do you fine. Make sure it is Linux, not Windows (although Windows supports PHP/MySQL too but is a bit more expensive)

You might want to contact them about the SSH access though, but to me that seems a bit more high level and they might not support it for their cheaper packages, just my opinion. Otherwise, pair it with a domain name and off you go!

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

nearlyfreespeech.net is pretty good. depending on traffic, monthly cost can be less than a dollar.

i use it for dev purposes and im paying about $1/month. you can enable ssh if you want to

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by kmstr View Post
    nearlyfreespeech.net is pretty good. depending on traffic, monthly cost can be less than a dollar.

i use it for dev purposes and im paying about $1/month. you can enable ssh if you want to
    Thanks, this is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Even if it's not what I end up using, the worst thing that can happen is I spend a dollar.