Closed Thread
Page 2 of 335 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

So knee jerk reaction is to go for the gun and shoot to kill first. And that's ok with Valisk...

It was totally and completely fucked up for the officer to shoot the dog first then start berating the owner. The officer, again just by his presence and threatening behavior, instigated this. Then when it was found out that there was a mistake, instead of admitting the mistake, it was the fucking owner's fault that the cop reverted to cave man instinct and shot first??? No "I'm sorry sir. I shouldn't have shot your dog." They (plural because of the superior officer too) go straight to the "fuck you and your dog".

I have said it countless times and it remains true in every story I have seen like this. The cops have a command presence and just by them being there the situation is already escalated. It is their responsibility to remain in control. When that doesn't happen, things get much worse than they should be. That being said, I am not saying that cops shouldn't and don't make mistakes. But, when a mistake is made, they need to own their actions.

PS, why the fuck is everyone (Valisk) so scared of dogs? I have never seen a dog that I couldn't overpower and outsmart....ever....I have been bitten before and I can say I have done far more damage to myself falling off a skateboard than a dog ever could. Why don't we start burning skateboards when they cause injuries?

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Because skateboards don't hurt people, railings out to get crotches hurt people.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I don't understand why in a domestic disturbance call, he decides to take his pistol out and not his taser.

That right there is problem number 1. But w/e, dude will settle out of court and get super fucking rich. Then he can clone his dog and all will be fine.

Also, obligatory http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...GDzaqw5KeHpkaa

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Haomarush

This makes me very upset... time to go to that facebook page.

What the fuck there's no way that dog weighs 50lbs

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Acevalefor View Post
    PS, why the fuck is everyone (Valisk) so scared of dogs? I have never seen a dog that I couldn't overpower and outsmart....ever....I have been bitten before and I can say I have done far more damage to myself falling off a skateboard than a dog ever could. Why don't we start burning skateboards when they cause injuries?
    http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleim...shops/dog2.jpg
    Challenge accepted.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Haomarush

rofl but in all seriousness i agree.

if a dog ever charges at you and you're about to duke it out with him seriously, ball your fist and stick it in its mouth while using other hand to fucking choke shit it(if it's really trying to kill you). figured this out while playing with my dog (pit/lab pretty big about 40lbs) she can't do anything when i do that so she just ends up laying there (BECAUSE I JUST OVERPOWERED THAT BITCH)

If I screw up again Im gone forever.
    Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

To be fair re: don't shoot the dog, be a man etc., you have to remember he's dealing with a guy who may be armed (he didn't have time to see his hand) and for all he knows, is being accused of domestic abuse. If the dog attacked him, the guy could easily have a gun (this is texas), and shoot the police officer, or steal the police officer's gun while he's dealing with the dog.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

As for all the people asking why a gun is drawn for a domestic viloence call, you guys just don't realize what police go thru on a day to day or week to week basis. An officer responded to a domestic disturbance at my friend's apartment complex on a night I was there. It ended with a dead cop, a dead ex-girlfriend, and a dead estranged ex-boyfriend (who killed himself after taking out the first two). Luckily the 7 year old daughter was able to run to a neighbors after watching her mom get her brains blown out.

There are different levels of domestic violence that the dispatch can communicate. If this was one where a weapon was used or the 911 caller no longer knew the location of the suspect, then yes, the cops had every reason to have a weapon drawn. Unfortnately it was the wrong house and the dog was shot, but definitely within their parameters to have a gun drawn and shoot a charging dog.

Title: "HUBBLE GOTCHU!" (without the quotes, of course [and without "(without the quotes, of course)", of course], etc)
    BG Level

If a dog I didn't know was charging towards me barking like that, and it was big enough that I felt threatened by it, and I had a gun on me, I'd probably shoot it too. Whether or not my gun was already drawn would be irrelevant; if my gun wasn't already drawn, I'd draw it and shoot.

Of course, I can't see the dog so I can't say how threatening it looked. I also can't see exactly what the owner was doing, but it's a safe bet that most cops wouldn't shoot at a dog if the owner was close to it, since that would risk hitting the person.

Perhaps the owner was frightened or confused or whatever and that's why he didn't move to get the dog. Or maybe he just didn't have enough time. But it wouldn't matter to me. If I felt that my life was in danger because of the charging dog near me, there's a chance that I'd shoot regardless of whether or not I already had my gun out and regardless of the reason (good or bad) that the owner isn't restraining him. It depends on the situation, I guess.

I think it's unfortunate that this happened, but I don't see enough evidence to conclude that the cop is a bad person or a bad cop, or even that he did anything that I wouldn't have done. Maybe my opinion will change when I learn more details of the situation.

If I screw up again Im gone forever.
    Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Not apologizing tells me that the cop is a bad person imo...

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Valisk View Post
    As for all the people asking why a gun is drawn for a domestic viloence call, you guys just don't realize what police go thru on a day to day or week to week basis. An officer responded to a domestic disturbance at my friend's apartment complex on a night I was there. It ended with a dead cop, a dead ex-girlfriend, and a dead estranged ex-boyfriend (who killed himself after taking out the first two). Luckily the 7 year old daughter was able to run to a neighbors after watching her mom get her brains blown out.
    This line of reasoning is so retarded. "Hey guys, I took a job and can't handle it, so it's ok for me to wave my gun around when I feel like it cause I'm stressed!". If you can't deal with the job, don't fucking take the job. I don't give two flying fucks how stressed out you are at work, that does not give you the right to draw your weapon in an unreasonable situation.

There are different levels of domestic violence that the dispatch can communicate. If this was one where a weapon was used or the 911 caller no longer knew the location of the suspect, then yes, the cops had every reason to have a weapon drawn. Unfortnately it was the wrong house and the dog was shot, but definitely within their parameters to have a gun drawn and shoot a charging dog.
    It's like you didn't even read the article. The article itself says it was a call because a man was choking a woman does it not? How in the world does that justify using a handgun with live ammunition? He had a taser, pepper spray, his fucking fists, anything would be more reasonable then using a hand gun.

Assume he went to the right house, and shot the abuser instead. There would still be a shit storm and investigation for the cop shooting the unarmed man instead of tasing him. This is no different, except the dude shot the neighbors dog instead. The entire thing is inexcusable.

I wish he'd get forced to retire and lose his pension, but I already know he'll either walk with a slap on the wrist, or retire on the states dime.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I think everyone is forgetting this is Texas. Have you not seen the TV show Cops?

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin
    I don't understand why in a domestic disturbance call, he decides to take his pistol out and not his taser.
    From a police standpoint, every time I go to a domestic I have my gun out (especially if it's weapons involved). If Traffic related deaths are the #1 killer of law enforcement, then domestic violence is a close #2 if not higher with new stats being released from the DoJ. Nothing is ever simple and easy on a domestic. It's never "Oh you hit your wife, you're going to jail." Me personally out of about 20 or 30 DV lockups i've done, only 3 of them I escaped without some kind of physical damage to myself (I have about a quarter sized titanium plate in my forehead just about an inch over my right eye from an axe that luckily just barely didn't have enough force to cleave my head in two).

I'll never forget my instructor in the academy showing me the bullet wound to the back of her head she received responding to a domestic where the husband beat the wife to an inch of her life. She was laying there, basically dead or dying and the husband was going to finish her off with a baseball bat. The officers arrived on scene and subdued the guy after a huge fight which left one guy with a broken eye socket and the academy instructor with 4 broken ribs. While taking the guy out the front door, the wife somehow popped up off the floor, grabbed her .38 Snub, put it to the back of the instructors head and said "Get your fucking hands off my husband!" before pulling the trigger. By the grace of something that we can't explain she survived (or it could have been her skull was so thick the bullet lodged and didn't penetrate or maybe she was just using flat tip .38 range rounds instead of hollow points) and showed the scars from it.

Domestic violence isn't nothing to play around with. You NEVER know what's going to happen when you get there. Any police agency you go to will always train you to never respond alone and if you are, just don't make a move until backup arrives.

I'm not justifying the shooting of the dog (me personally, I can't hurt animals so I probably wouldn't have shot it) but dogs are scary. They can kill you easily if you're not quick and they are strong, fast, take a lot of damage, and will attack if their owner is being threatened. Can't say for sure what was going through the guys mind at the time but I can't say he was wrong just based off the little information given.

Also according to the FLETC's (Federal Law Enforcement Training Center) Use of Force continuum, strangulation (not choking, as choking means you have something lodged in your throat) is a deadly force assault. The response to a deadly force assault is deadly force. Yes, you can use something lower (i.e. a Tazer) IF it will control the situation. How many times have you been strangled? I mean REALLY strangled. It only takes 5 seconds if someone knows what they're doing to first, cut your air off to keep you from breathing, and then pinching the carotid artery in the process to cut blood flow and what happens when blood stops flowing to your brain? Not rocket science, just rockets.

Most logically when responding to said DV incident involving a strangulation, the officer thought of the worst case scenario (as we all do) and saw a man outside in his truck ready to run after strangling his wife to death. Ever fought with someone who just murdered someone? Anyways, I should tldr this:

Domestic Violence sucks and cops get killed way too much to take it lightly. Bad for the cop for not being sympathetic to the dog owner. Don't see anything wrong with him having his gun out and ready for this type of situation.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    This line of reasoning is so retarded. "Hey guys, I took a job and can't handle it, so it's ok for me to wave my gun around when I feel like it cause I'm stressed!". If you can't deal with the job, don't fucking take the job. I don't give two flying fucks how stressed out you are at work, that does not give you the right to draw your weapon in an unreasonable situation.
    You don't comprehend well do you? This wasn't a line of reasoning for this specific situation (even though it applies). People were astonished that a police officer would show up to a domestic violence scene with a gun drawn. The example I gave was a prime example that there are situations where it is necessary. "If you can't deal with the job..." Seems like the officer dealt with the job just fine.

It's like you didn't even read the article. The article itself says it was a call because a man was choking a woman does it not? How in the world does that justify using a handgun with live ammunition? He had a taser, pepper spray, his fucking fists, anything would be more reasonable then using a hand gun.
    I read the article. Again, you must have a problem with comprehension because I gave examples of reasons a domestic viloence call can have an officer on high alert. The call could have been about a man choking a chicken for all I care. That doesn't mean the person isn't armed nor does it mean the person can't arm himself. You're being really ignorant to how these situations can turn into life or death situations in the blink of an eye. Taser, pepper spray, fists?! LOL, I'm not fighting a dog with any of the above if I have a handgun and every right to have it drawn.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

So, I was about to comment about having a firearm out during DV calls but neph wrote it up perfectly.

As for the dog getting shot, I could not harm a animal (well, I used OC on a pitbull before and he or she ran off right away). I also have a very large German shepherd, so I honestly don't see a sub-50 pound dog as a threat.

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I think usually i'll have it out or tucked in the beginning depending on the situation but most of the time if I see the situation is calm, i'll put it away. In the District, it's a requirement to arrest anyone who's committed any intra-family crime of violence so 9 times out of 10 there's going to be someone who doesn't wanna go to jail. A separate charge was created for those times where it's a "He said this but I did this" and "She's lying I didn't do nothing" etc where you can't figure out who was the aggressor and they called it a DV Criss-Cross. I swear 90% of the people we lock up for DV turn out to be husband and wife or boyfriend/girlfriend.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Is there a dog version of Al Sharpton?

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

it's a requirement to arrest anyone who's committed any intra-family crime of violence
    Ugh, who even thought that shit was even a good idea?

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Dunno but I friggin hate it. Sucks when you have to arrest the huge burly guy and his 5'3" wife because she scratched him on the face defending himself. Or even worse, the 4'11" 15 year old who fought her dad off and there's a history of DV against him and he gets bruises from her hitting him and she gets arrested.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Guy is a dick for not apologizing, though I see how he did it as a knee-jerk reaction.

Curious question for the cops though,

Do they not give any training in how to take down a dog without just killing it?

How often do these types of situations come up for you?

Reality is, dogs are extremely protective animals, so I can imagine this must happen quite often where a dog attacks a cop over feeling the need to protect the owner even if the owner isn't in any danger. In my head I feel like this is something they should be trained to handle outside of just shooting it in the face. At least that's how I picture it in my head though I don't know if it's actually common enough to warrant training, or if there is an effective method that will more often or not take down the dog without creating a bad situation.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 335 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast