BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Daily News
    Top supervisors of an elite NYPD anti-gun unit allegedly handled white suspects with kid gloves while treating blacks like “animals” deserving of a bullet to the head, the Daily News has learned.

The explosive charges appear in sworn depositions from three members of the firearms suppression unit: two current NYPD detectives and a retired first-grade detective.

Their testimony, part of a federal discrimination lawsuit, details how Capt. James Coan and Lt. Daniel Davin created a hostile environment for both their black detectives and suspected minority-group gun traffickers, said the plaintiffs’ lawyer, Eric Sanders.

Davin used the N-word to address black suspects, while Coan considered the unit’s minority-group targets almost subhuman, the depositions indicate.

“Capt. Coan would tell the field team . . . ‘They are f-----g animals. You make sure if you have to shoot, you shoot them in the head. That way there’s one story,’ ” said the retired detective.

The ex-cop, identified only as Undercover 7988, said Coan’s racist rant came before every search warrant executed in Brooklyn’s Brownsville, Bedford-Stuyvesant and East New York from 2008 to 2010.

“They didn’t care if it was kids in there, they didn’t care if it was women in there, naked women,” the detective said. “. . . They treated them as if they had no rights whatsoever. It was disgusting."

In contrast, search warrants on predominantly white Staten Island were handled without kicking in doors, said the undercover.

The two detectives still on the job testified that Davin hurled the N-word at suspects — and at one of them.

“On a search warrant which I was present with him and several members of the team, while working in firearms, he called one of the perpetrators a n----r,” said Detective Al Hawkins.

On another occasion in 2005, Hawkins recalled, he walked into an apartment where Davin was instructing white officers, “If you have to shoot a n----r, do what you gotta do.”

“I just walked out of the room and shook my head,” Hawkins said.

The accused captain and lieutenant remain on the job, although in different positions.

The detectives testified last month in a discrimination lawsuit brought by Detective Debra Lawson in Brooklyn Federal Court.

She alleges minority-group members in the unit were passed over for good assignments and career advancement.

The unidentified undercover, before his retirement, had also filed a discrimination complaint against Davin. The lieutenant was “reinstructed” about his offensive comments in 2010, according to court papers.

Detective Gregory Jean-Baptiste, who was demoted from second-grade to third-grade detective after clashing with Davin, testified that the lieutenant called him a “black bastard.”

In his deposition, Coan “absolutely” denied making the racist remarks. He acknowledged involvement in five shootings over the past 20 years — with two people left dead.

While in narcotics, Coan also shot and killed a pit bull. “He didn’t sue me,” the captain testified.

In his deposition, the retired detective also said Coan assigned on-duty detectives to work on his personal boat, the Celtic King, moored in Suffolk County. The roll call would reflect the detectives were on “commanding officer assignment,” the ex-cop said.

Coan said in his deposition that the Internal Affairs Bureau cleared him of the boat allegations last year.

The NYPD and Davin did not respond to requests for comment, while the head of the Captains Endowment Association defended Coan.

“That language was never utilized and discredits the bravery of this elite unit who routinely enter locations known to be occupied by known felons,” said union head Roy Richter.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/....1062188?print
    Only posting this because of the topic title. Anyone from NYC who's a minority already assumes this stuff.

Jellysaurus Rex
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Nephlite View Post
    Or even worse, the 4'11" 15 year old who fought her dad off and there's a history of DV against him and he gets bruises from her hitting him and she gets arrested.
    same type of thing happened to me, and jail was fucking awful, especially after having to defend oneself in a situation like that... the police officer's face when he had to arrest me was pretty tortured, he apologized like 10 times or more

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

The training involved in subduing something like a dog is just too extensive and it isn't practicable in a dangerous situation. Like when responding to an assault, the last thing you wanna worry about is a dog jumping on you. Most of the time, they're targets and dangerous ones at that. Dogs can mess you up worse than a human can in a short amount of time.

It's like a story I heard when a guy I knew shot a deer. Didn't even see it coming but it charged at him and he pepper sprayed it. It started freaking out and just started flailing everywhere. He backed off and it ended up rushing him and pinned him to the ground. Pulled out and shot it in the chest twice and it still kept fighting. In the end he emptied 16 rounds in it and it was still moving well after it "died".

In the academy we learned that pretty much any animal is dangerous and unless you can subdue it without harming it, it's better just to kill it because even after you contain the animal, it can get even more aggressive and we're just not equipped to handle animals (we don't have tazers though they'd be nice for animal attacks).

I know for me personally if I see a dog I back off and call animal control. Aggressive or not, it's just not worth it to try and mix it up with a dog and risk a bite to the neck or face. Around here, owners train their attack dogs to go for the neck and if a dog gets ahold of you, you can actually kill a dog and it will still not release it's hold once it locks it's jaws in place on the target. Sad but it's a combination of a lack of training, prioritization, and common sense.

If I screw up again Im gone forever.
    Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by AoE View Post
    Only posting this because of the topic title. Anyone from NYC who's a minority already assumes this stuff.
    Well, that's the point of the thread lol. That's ridic.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

I know for me personally if I see a dog I back off and call animal control.
    The appropriate response. And, yknow, being at the right house before you go discharging your weapon.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Problem is, not every town has animal control.

Here in Boston from 4 til midnight there is a grand total of 1 animal control officer in the entire city. Midnight til 8 am, there are none on the street.

So don't really have the liberty of calling animal control around here. I honestly keep some of my dogs treats, and a few tennis balls in my duty bag just for the potential dogs I might come across on a call.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by jmcgarrell View Post
    So don't really have the liberty of calling animal control around here. I honestly keep some of my dogs treats, and a few tennis balls in my duty bag just for the potential dogs I might come across on a call.
    This is really awesome.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

In the academy we learned that pretty much any animal is dangerous and unless you can subdue it without harming it, it's better just to kill it because even after you contain the animal, it can get even more aggressive and we're just not equipped to handle animals (we don't have tazers though they'd be nice for animal attacks).
    Word. You have no idea how many cops my squadron of trained attack squirrels killed.

Seriously, though, plenty of internet tough guys around here, on both sides of the argument.

Personally, I don't think it's excessive to expect people whose job involves being handed firearms to exercise more restraint in their usage.
    Yeah, yeah, potentially dangerous situations... you know what? You can get a gun pulled on you in any circumstances, but we don't all run around with guns out as a preventive measure.
    That mentality contributes to an overall climate of insecurity that encourages people to arm themselves in the first place.

In this particular case, had the owner tried to reach for the dog (as he was fucking instructed), he'd have been in the path of the bullet. Good thing he didn't obey.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Ashmada View Post
    Word. You have no idea how many cops my squadron of trained attack squirrels killed.

Seriously, though, plenty of internet tough guys around here, on both sides of the argument.

Personally, I don't think it's excessive to expect people whose job involves being handed firearms to exercise more restraint in their usage.
    Yeah, yeah, potentially dangerous situations... you know what? You can get a gun pulled on you in any circumstances, but we don't all run around with guns out as a preventive measure.
    That mentality contributes to an overall climate of insecurity that encourages people to arm themselves in the first place.

In this particular case, had the owner tried to reach for the dog (as he was fucking instructed), he'd have been in the path of the bullet. Good thing he didn't obey.
    If cops didn't shoot first and ask questions never any time there was even a remote possibility of getting hurt, we would have a lot more dead cops. Is that what you want? Dead cops?

You're a terrible person.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Well, yes, I do. Why do you think I own a squadron of trained attack squirrels?

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Was the owner white and the cop black?

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

@jmc: same thing here and man i tell you those guys are lazy fucks. Unless its an aggressive dog, you can forget it. I called them to remove a damn bat inside the station once and the guy said unless its in danger of attacking someone, he cant remove it because bats are protected animals.

When i was in patrol i used to carry teddy bears and tennis balls for kids. Never thought about a package of dog treats. Might be something i could pick up for the unmarked survival kit.

Burninate all the things.
    BG Level

This is dumb. Lotta people in here don't know just how bad animals can fuck you up.

When an officer walks into what he believes to be a hostile situation, his priority has to be his own safety. If the dog is being aggressive towards him and the premises aren't cleared, he has to neutralize that threat in the quickest, surest method available to him. Tazers don't always work, and spending too much time messing with a dog could get him shot - remember, as far as he was concerned, he was walking into a domestic violence call where deadly force had been used.

The dispatcher fucked up the address, and both them and the officer should apologize, but that's it. There are no reparations to be scrounged up, no officer to hang. It's a dog. It really fucking sucks that this happened, but the life and safety of a police officer take priority in this situation. All the people talking about how "Small" the dog is and how they can "handle it" don't know jack shit about the kind of damage animals can do in very short order. Dogs can kill. I'd rather apologize to a dude that lost his pet than try to explain to an officer's daughter why daddy won't be home for Christmas.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    This is dumb. Lotta people in here don't know just how bad animals can fuck you up.

When an officer walks into what he believes to be a hostile situation, his priority has to be his own safety. If the dog is being aggressive towards him and the premises aren't cleared, he has to neutralize that threat in the quickest, surest method available to him. Tazers don't always work, and spending too much time messing with a dog could get him shot - remember, as far as he was concerned, he was walking into a domestic violence call where deadly force had been used.

The dispatcher fucked up the address, and both them and the officer should apologize, but that's it. There are no reparations to be scrounged up, no officer to hang. It's a dog. It really fucking sucks that this happened, but the life and safety of a police officer take priority in this situation. All the people talking about how "Small" the dog is and how they can "handle it" don't know jack shit about the kind of damage animals can do in very short order. Dogs can kill. I'd rather apologize to a dude that lost his pet than try to explain to an officer's daughter why daddy won't be home for Christmas.
    Would you be saying the same thing if he shot the guy? Worrying about your own safety is one thing, killing everything that poses a risk is an entirely different thing.

By that logic, i should shoot black kids walking through my neighborhood wearing a hoodie with skittles in his pocket, because hey, my safety comes first, and i never know if he's going to shoot me first.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Blue healers are like the most vicious dogs on the planet. Those cattle dogs are smart and they could outsmart most cops.

Police need better canine American sensitivity training.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    Would you be saying the same thing if he shot the guy? Worrying about your own safety is one thing, killing everything that poses a risk is an entirely different thing.

By that logic, i should shoot black kids walking through my neighborhood wearing a hoodie with skittles in his pocket, because hey, my safety comes first, and i never know if he's going to shoot me first.
    If the guy charged him with a knife, sure. The guy was calm. His dog was not.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Barking is a dog's equivalent to charging with a knife? Really?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

fine, if theres two black kids, one is a suspected dangerous suspect, and the other black kid starts barking and running at you, i'd say you could shoot yea.

BG Level

Because you saw how the dog acted? Last I checked, it was off camera, and the stories between the officer, the civilian, and the police chief don't add up at all. Did you read the article? Probably not tbh, and I won't hold it against you, but when a dog runs up to you barking because you have his potentially dangerous owner in tow you do not have time to bend down and give it a treat.

If that dog actually attacks you, you could either get injured by it directly or the owner could shoot you while you're dealing with it. You do not have time to fuck around with dogs when dealing with someone who just tried to kill their wife/girlfriend/SO - which is all you know going into that situation. If the dog looks like he's going to attack, you put it down fast and move on to the guy who might have a knife/gun/violent streak.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 335 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast