Closed Thread
Page 7 of 335 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast
    Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    If it attacks, shoot away.
    Attacks as in let it bite him before he does anything? Or attacks as in runs up in a threatening way getting ready to attack?

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by TacoTaru View Post
    Not trolling I'm legitimately curious hey, do you think they should wait until they are attacked until they make the call to kill/not kill a dog charging at them?
    Yes. If he's worried he could pepper spray/taze it as soon as it gets in range. The great thing here is that if it stops running and just circles around barking, and never gets in range for that, you won't even hurt it, let alone kill it. If that doesn't work, and it actually attacks, then obviously shoot it.

No it's not. It's easy to say that the one time they get the address wrong, but he had no reason to suspect it wasn't the guy he was looking for.
    So cops have their gun out every time they arrive to a call. Ok.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Read the thread, that's already been addressed.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post

This has been covered by the officers in the thread. This officer was going into a dangerous situation with a man who was already using deadly force. Yes, have your weapon drawn.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I know the police chief apologized but is there any reports that the shooting officer did/didn't apologized other than hearsay from the victim? I see a lot of people focusing on the apology and people in Austin are up in arms about the perceived lack of apology. Or is it the lack of PUBLIC apology?

2-3 active duty police officers have already addressed this. Read the damn thread. Neph wrote an incredible post about DV calls and jmc shared some of his experiences.

Edit: Both whom of which have said they wouldn't have shot the dog. So Dummy's whiteknight claim is retarded and Leroy's/hey's analogies are off the deep end. Neph/jmc's opinions on the matter are very reasonable and logical unlike Dummy/Leroy/hey.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Those Frisbee hippies can't be trusted. Also it was in Texas. Cops pull guns out for everything. My wife got pulled over and the cop approached with hand on gun. Scared my kids. Luckily they weren't being loud.

Re: everyone saying saying the cop shot the dog 2 secs after telling him to restrain it.

From the description of events the dog wasn't in the front yard for very long, the owner was in the front and at some point after the cop showed up the dog came out. If the cop saw the dog, said to restrain it, but the dog ran past the owner before he could then you could say he at least tried but there simply wasn't enough time. If the dog was stationary and just barking it was unnecessary and the cop made an awful judgement call, unfortunately we can't see the specifics of what went down.

Quote Originally Posted by TacoTaru View Post
    Some of the people in this thread, lol. My dog is the nicest dog in the world, even to strangers. She'd probably help you steal my stuff if you came over, say good bye and hope you come back soon. If you put your hands on my wife in a way she deems threatening, she'd rip your throat out. She's bit the hell of out my leg before because my wife and I were goofing off in the kitchen and she shrieked and the dog was in the other room. She rounded the corner and bit right into the back of my thigh because she thought I was harming her and then immediately tried to separate us. She's only 55lbs, but you aren't just going to put your foot out if she comes charging at you if she thinks you're threatening myself or my wife. And no she doesn't snarl or anything else when she gets protective either to let you know it's coming.

That being said, yes this cop screwed up big time and not apologizing at this point is appalling, but acting like a 55lb dog isn't a threat is ridiculously stupid.
    My brother works for the cable company and was bit by a customer's dog last week. This was after being welcomed into the home and starting to work on whatever it was he was doing. Even better, the asshole ditched his place soon after (probably because the dog had bitten someone else before) so now the dog can't be tested and my brother has to undergo weeks of rabies treatment he may not even need.

We've had dogs too, and they're as friendly and loveable as any other good dog owner's, NOT EVERYONE IS A GOOD DOG OWNER.

If I screw up again Im gone forever.
    Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Valisk View Post
    I know the police chief apologized but is there any reports that the shooting officer did/didn't apologized other than hearsay from the victim? I see a lot of people focusing on the apology and people in Austin are up in arms about the perceived lack of apology. Or is it the lack of PUBLIC apology?
    How is it hearsay from the victim about whether the shooting officer did/did not apologize. The way you worded it, it seems like you're saying that even if the victiim said he didn't apologize, and we believe he's telling the truth, doesn't mean that the shooting officer didn't apologize. If that's the case, isn't it the point of fucking apologizing to apologize to the party you did wrong to and nullify any other apology? If that makes sense.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Chun Liroy View Post
    How is it hearsay from the victim about whether the shooting officer did/did not apologize. The way you worded it, it seems like you're saying that even if the victiim said he didn't apologize, and we believe he's telling the truth, doesn't mean that the shooting officer didn't apologize. If that's the case, isn't it the point of fucking apologizing to apologize to the party you did wrong to and nullify any other apology? If that makes sense.
    I'm asking if the victim is being truthful or just trying to gain sympathy/have a fuck the police attitude? You know, where people embelish things or say how awful they were treated simply because it's the police. Or when you get into an argument with someone and you claim they didn't apologize when they actually did. I've told fibs about the police to make them seem worse then they actually are. Basically, I want to know if the shooting officer is refuting the claim that he didn't apologize.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I would have thought no, but both cops that posted in this thread said it's standard procedure so it seems that way, yeah.

Re: everyone saying saying the cop shot the dog 2 secs after telling him to restrain it.
    It's no more than half a second. It's ~2 seconds from the time the dog first barks until it's shot.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Eurell View Post
    I absolutely agree he should apologize. I don't agree though that he should have set there and let a dog attack him while the suspect who was just attacking his wife with deadly force (as far as the cop was concerned) walked up and pulled the dog away.
    Yeah, that presumption of culpability sure sounds like a good way to prevent escalation.

I would have thought no, but both cops that posted in this thread said it's standard procedure so it seems that way, yeah.

It's no more than half a second. It's ~2 seconds from the time the dog first barks until it's shot.
    Did you read what I posted?

It doesn't matter how long it was, if the dog was out of reach of the owner coming towards the cop there was nothing he could have done about it. In the time it takes him to even say the sentence the dog could have run from behind the owner to a point close enough to the cop for him to feel threatened.

In case you didn't know, dogs can move really fast.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    Did you read what I posted?
    Yes, but i had no idea what your point was, so i ignored it, and made a quick correction since i was posting anyway. I don't know why you read so far into that.

If i disagreed with what you said, or wanted to argue with you, i'd have done so.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Ashmada View Post
    Yeah, that presumption of culpability sure sounds like a good way to prevent escalation.

The presumption was fair. It wasn't his fault the dispatcher gave him the incorrect address.

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I'm asking if the victim is being truthful or just trying to gain sympathy/have a fuck the police attitude? You know, where people embelish things or say how awful they were treated simply because it's the police. Or when you get into an argument with someone and you claim they didn't apologize when they actually did. I've told fibs about the police to make them seem worse then they actually are. Basically, I want to know if the shooting officer is refuting the claim that he didn't apologize.
    Are you serious?

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Are you serious?

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

The biggest problem here is too many people are taking sides instead of looking at this objectively. I love threads like this where a cop shows one iota of a mistake and it's time to hang him out to dry/get fired and loose pension/have his baby killed to stop the white man from populating the earth, etc. Me and Jmc are cops and we didn't agree with the cop's decision to kill the dog, but his actions in terms of response and tactics were money.

I agree wholeheartedly with the victim that he should get an apology from the officer. However, we all know this is going to turn in to a civil violation and it's going to settle out of court. The truth is there is no "Homicide" statute for killing a dog anywhere in the United States. Animal cruelty, perhaps. But then you have to discredit the cops story of him being threatened by a perceived threat. At the least, he'll get suspended pending investigation for discharging a firearm and a review committee will determine weather or not it was justified.

Look at it from what some people have already mentioned. From the time he said "Get your dog!" to when he fired, two seconds might seem like a short amount of time. But dogs are really fucking fast. He couldn't wait for the dog to start ripping in to him or distracting him from the real threat of the possible suspect being outside within close proximity of his person who possibly just killed someone. And take it from someone who's been in CQC situations where a deadly force threat is less than a few inches from you. Two seconds is an ETERNITY when it's right infront of you, but that also means it takes an ETERNITY to react to it. Everything slows down, you can't hear anything, you get tunnel vision, your body sweats and your heart hammers in your chest at about 220-250 bpm, your life flashes infront of your eyes and all the stress that you built up over the past 30 years or so suddenly hits you and you really just feel really really tired.

Here's something you can do to help you understand how hard it is. This drill comes right out of our academy:

Measure a line exactly 21 feet on a flat even surface. Position yourself and a friend facing each other, one at one end of the line, and one at the other end. Pick something that resembles a gun (for this drill, we used Red Guns but you can use anything like a cell phone, or a remote control). You who has the prop, put on a pair of jeans or something with similar pockets and put the prop in the pocket where your hand is dominant and practice drawing out the prop like a gun and aiming (the jeans pocket supposedly has the same tactile sensation of drawing a standard issue Glock 19 from a Level 3 retention holster from Blackhawk).

Now place the prop in your pocket and get in position. There is no "cue" word, just tell the other person to run straight at you as fast as he can whenever he's ready to "surprise" you and try to tag you anywhere on your body. Now draw the prop from your pocket and "shoot" by saying "Bang!" without moving your body.

Now try the same drill but before you "draw and shoot", this time say "Get on the ground!" 3 times before you "Shoot". You can move around during this second drill. If you get tagged, you failed (Our instructor usually said the guy was an MMA fighter or a Veteran who just did a CQC front stopper choke that just broke your neck and ruptured your trachea).

Now try the same drill with the prop out and pointed at your subject. You can't "fire" the prop until you say "Get on the ground!" three times and you must be able to disengage approximately half the distance you started (about 10 feet) and no further. Either is a fail and if you're caught, you must try it again but this time, only say "Get on the ground!" twice, then a subsequent once, and so on until you reach zero times saying "Get on the ground!".

Anyone willing to give it a try?

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    Are you serious?
    What are you confused about, Dummy? Or are you under the impression that dog lovers can't lie? I just want to hear the cop's side of the story. But of course you already have the side of the story you want and that's all that matters amirite?

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 335 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast