Closed Thread
Page 90 of 335 FirstFirst ... 40 80 88 89 90 91 92 100 140 ... LastLast
    Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by mightyg View Post
    You see people don't say "This never happens in other countries.". They're just not settling for the status quo. Everyone gets that not all police departments are bad and we get that you're proud of the good work you do. But people are calling you out because you're failing to concede that not everything is perfect with policing in America.
    You complain about the hyperbole, but the opposite is just as bad. We don't expect you're feelings to be hurt with every complaint people throw at you. but the tone of your posts tend to be pretty dismissive. Particularly the non violent drug offender one. Very few people are upset about drug dealers and gang members getting taken off the streets. It's all the other stuff that gets posted in this thread.
    Seen the argument that militarization and violence in other countries isn't as bad, but the reality is that a lot of other countries don't deal with the same level of violence.

And I never said it's perfect! That's what I'm talking about. I recognize there's problems and that some things need to change, however, I do not recognize the problem is as widespread or out of control as people say it is. No one is actually reading or putting thought in to what I'm trying to express here. If I don't immediately say "The cops are racist, they're destroying the black man, and I'm quitting the job forever because I'm tired of the shit!", then I'm wrong. Sorry for not being a bandwagoner.

From what I'm gathering from you, I'm putting too much in to it. You're probably right. Just like there is a small amount of bad cops in the world, there's a small amount of anti-police people out there. It's not as widespread, I just don't like people bandwagoning off of someone else's misfortune or problem and treating it as the norm. People who have never actually had an interaction with the police say they fear the police more than anyone. Why? That's like saying I'll never take my car to a dealership because everyone says they're pirates and scum of the earth. What really happens is they also heard that from somewhere else, and word spreads like wildfire. The fact is, not every mechanic is a shark waiting to steal all your money, not all of them take advantage of you, and not all of them are pirates.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    Yeah, jmc is pretty cool, and offers a lot of great insight, and isn't afraid to call bullshit on other cops when he sees it. Nephite though... well, i guess he provides insight on the other side of cops.
    Remember when the Boston bombing happened and everyone was loving and nearly praising jmc but everyone forgets about the military state that formed and entering hundreds upon hundreds of people's houses without permission?

You get out of here with that reason! Get!

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Remember when the Boston bombing happened and everyone was loving and nearly praising jmc but everyone forgets about the military state that formed and entering hundreds upon hundreds of people's houses without permission?
    Actually I remember the huge thread-spanning debate over it....

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

i remember the internet trying to play detective and fingering the wrong guy

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    I had a huge problem with police entry of unoccupied residences without permission, but when jmc clairified that they only entered if they had evidence of forced entry it didn't bother me too much.

I'd also need a source for the "hundreds and hundreds without permission" claim.

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

So far, unedited (excellent quality) video of true out of control police behavior with excellent context. No reason for this behavior here.

http://www.abc2news.com/news/crime-c...isonment-video

This place is the stuff nightmares are made of:
    But nearly two years after Rainey’s death on June 23, 2012, the Miami-Dade medical examiner has yet to complete an autopsy and Miami-Dade police have not charged anyone. The Florida Department of Corrections halted its probe into the matter, saying it could be restarted if the autopsy and police investigation unearth new information.

“They told people that he had a heart attack,’’ said a source close to the prison system with knowledge of the case.

The shower treatment was only one form of punishment inflicted by the prison’s guards to keep mentally ill patients in line, according to the inmate/orderly and two other sources privy to the goings-on at the state prison.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/05/1...explained.html

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Jmc also probably has a stricter Social Media policy than I do.
    Lets just say, I don't want to end up in front of anti corruption AGAIN for shit I post on here or facebook.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    Lets just say, I don't want to end up in front of anti corruption AGAIN for shit I post on here or facebook.
    That's a terrible job of serving the public.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    Did you accept someone's offer to buy you a beer?

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/pro...ed-knock-raid/

Cops burst in at 5:30am
    Dude shoots cops as they try to break his window thinking they're just robbers
    One cop dies, another protected by vest
    They want him charged with capital murder x1 and attempted capital murder x3
    They want the death penalty for shooting at armed, unannounced intruders
    Cops didn't find anything they were originally looking for in the house anyway
    Publish his mugshot, not a normal photo of him
    He's black
    And this is in Texas where castle doctrine is well recognized.

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Wasn't there a recent article of another person killing a police officer during a raid in Texas and getting exonerated? I can't seem to google it anymore...

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Illinois judge rules police entitled to Swat raid over parody Twitter account

The police hadn’t even come for him. When four fully-armed officers of a Swat team burst into Jacob Elliott’s house in Peoria, Illinois in April they were looking for the source of a parody Twitter feed that had upset the town’s mayor by poking fun at him.

It transpired that one of Elliott’s housemates, Jon Daniel, had created the fake Twitter account, @peoriamayor, and so incensed the real-life official, Jim Ardis, with his make-believe account of drug binges and sex orgies that the police were dispatched. Elliott was just a bystander in the affair, but that didn’t stop the Swat team searching his bedroom, looking under his pillow and in a closet where they discovered a bag of marijuana and dope-smoking paraphernalia.

Elliott now faces charges of felony marijuana possession. He has also become the subject of one of the more paradoxical – if not parody – questions in American jurisprudence: can a citizen be prosecuted for dope possession when the police were raiding his home looking for a fake Twitter account?

A Peoria judge this week ruled that the police were entitled to raid the house on North University Street on 15 April under the town’s “false personation” law which makes it illegal to pass yourself off as a public official. Judge Thomas Keith found that police had probable cause to believe they would find materials relevant to the Twitter feed such as computers or flash drives used to create it.

Daniel created the social media feed when he was bored one night and thought he would amuse himself and a handful of friends by deriding the mayor. In a stream of fake comments in 140 characters, he portrayed Ardis as a Tequila-sodden, sex- and drug-addicted oaf. “Im bout to climb the civic center and do some lines on the roof who’s in,” one tweet said.

Daniel was never charged as the local prosecutor decided that “false personation” could only be committed in the flesh rather than through cyberspace. But his housemate, Elliott, still has the marijuana rap hanging over him and this week’s court ruling means that his attempt to have his charges dismissed on grounds that the original police raid was mistaken has failed.

Meanwhile, Daniel has turned the law back against the authorities in Peoria, a town with a population of 120,000. With the help of the ACLU he has filed a lawsuit against the town for wrongful arrest.

“You can’t do terrorist type of things or threaten people. But a simple joke, a parody, mocking somebody, that’s obviously not illegal,” he told Associated Press.

As for the mayor, he has tried to justify his reaction to the Twitter spoof by claiming that it had damaged his standing. “My identity as mayor was stolen,” he said a few weeks after he dispatched the police.

It is not known whether he now regrets his decision to send in the Swat team. One measure of its success is that there is no longer one parody feed ridiculing Ardis on Twitter – there are 15.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

they would find materials relevant to the Twitter feed such as computers or flash drives used to create it.
    Wut lol

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

The short answer is they're (the police and prosecution) applying the inevitable discovery doctrine to this case. The argument is: they would have found the marijuana in those circumstances because it presented itself during a search for something else and can't be overlooked.

The defense's argument is valid, actually. No threats or harassment (public figures can take harassment a bit more than citizen's), no reason to think his life or safety is in danger? Yeah, no reason for the police to be called. Now you're dealing with Fruits of the Poisonous Tree.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

You see, the tinfoil hat people can actually present a legitimate case in this as for how fucking stupid this is, and how cops will abuse power through this.

If the cops want to raid someone, they just plant a fake account under a certain name, have it "tarnish" a public official, and all of a sudden they're allowed to raid any place they want. The fact that raid was even acceptable because of a parody twitter account is a fucking farce.

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    You see, the tinfoil hat people can actually present a legitimate case in this as for how fucking stupid this is, and how cops will abuse power through this.

If the cops want to raid someone, they just plant a fake account under a certain name, have it "tarnish" a public official, and all of a sudden they're allowed to raid any place they want. The fact that raid was even acceptable because of a parody twitter account is a fucking farce.
    It depends on what the Mayor said and what he ordered the police force to do. Some jurisdictions actually put the mayor at the top of the chain of command, which is stupid but it happens. I suspect the level of stupid goes beyond the police force.

Also, some other's like Jmc will probably agree to this: it's EXTREMELY hard to get any type of harassment or internet-related crime to stick. Planting fake twitter accounts isn't gonna fly with more and more people coming to understand just how things work.

For instance, you as the prosecutor could take a gamble and present a fake twitter account used to harass people to a Grand Jury. You might even have a way to link it to the defendant (contact info, I.P. etc). People are going to want to know specifics, or at least one person in the Grand Jury will know enough about computers to know how these things work. Are all the "tweets" coming from the same user? Can all the I.P.'s be linked to the user? Camera evidence? Checked his computers to see if there's evidence of these things coming from his computer? Any evidence of spoofing?

You see, I believe wholeheartedly the average human is dumb (more like, unaware of how the world works), but that's not to say there's not at least one in five that are "aware" of what's going on around them. Those are the ones who change the course of corruption. Edward Snowden might not know the whole story behind the NSA, and he's not a particularly intelligent or brilliant guy, but he's aware of what's happening and knows what his actions can do. He's one of the few who would probably ask those type of questions, and get some Police Officers and a certain Mayor in some serious shit for trying to make this debacle fly.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zimt Zucker
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Nephlite View Post
    For instance, you as the prosecutor could take a gamble and present a fake twitter account used to harass people to a Grand Jury. You might even have a way to link it to the defendant (contact info, I.P. etc). People are going to want to know specifics, or at least one person in the Grand Jury will know enough about computers to know how these things work. Are all the "tweets" coming from the same user? Can all the I.P.'s be linked to the user? Camera evidence? Checked his computers to see if there's evidence of these things coming from his computer? Any evidence of spoofing?
    Seems to me that the jury selection process could weed out anyone computer-savvy with relative ease.