+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Ugh Victoria. There is less than fuck all to do there.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Pfft, haters def gonna hate. Go check out places like Miami, TX and get back to me.

The few days in Houston have been good -- met some fun people in Sugar Land. On my way down, I stopped for a night in Austin and then a half day or so of riding my mtn bike all over that city Sunday like 9am to 2pm. (Yeah I brought my bike with me on a work trip ) Gotta ride 4-5 times a week. I was riding around northbelt in Houston last night before I shut that down cause it was time to get wasted as per this summit's schedule... and cause Greenspoint District was a little ghetto. '-'; Got some more good riding around Sugar Land, along that river and some nearby neighborhoods. I was told to check out Brazos Bend State Park, so I'll try to fit that in too.

And hopefully some San Antonio time on my way back; it'll also be 100% new to me.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

San Antonio: Come for the traffic, stay because you're stuck in traffic!

I kid, I kid. They finally finished the part of 410 I always hated when visiting my grandparents so its not that terrible anymore.

Also, I'll see your Miami, TX and Raise you Donie, TX. I lived there until I was 6. Yay for no social contact with other children before kindergarden!

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Roranora View Post
    Pfft, haters def gonna hate. Go check out places like Miami, TX and get back to me.

The few days in Houston have been good -- met some fun people in Sugar Land. On my way down, I stopped for a night in Austin and then a half day or so of riding my mtn bike all over that city Sunday like 9am to 2pm. (Yeah I brought my bike with me on a work trip ) Gotta ride 4-5 times a week. I was riding around northbelt in Houston last night before I shut that down cause it was time to get wasted as per this summit's schedule... and cause Greenspoint District was a little ghetto. '-'; Got some more good riding around Sugar Land, along that river and some nearby neighborhoods. I was told to check out Brazos Bend State Park, so I'll try to fit that in too.

And hopefully some San Antonio time on my way back; it'll also be 100% new to me.
    Sounds like fun, glad youre enjoying it. However, it sounds to me as if you looking at everything through those pesky tourists shades, so even mundane activities appear to be as cool as fuck. Sort of like how visiting a power plant or the public library with your class as a 5th grader was the greatest thing ever lol. Im pretty sure riding a bike through your home town where you've spent 20+ years doesnt have that same zing as it does now.

But I feel you, everythings new and perfect...lol. Go ahead, drop those roots and settle in, things are greener there.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

No I know it's definitely that. You're completely right; living in rural TXPH is draining (first job outta college), and I need to move within a year or so. (Most aggressively targeting Denver area; love it there) Work can be great, good pay+security+whatever, but if you're not at least somewhat content with your personal/social/leisure time--and I'm definitely not--I think you're wasting life. Work to live, don't live to work, etcetc

So yeah, it's part that. I also think it's a little of some people not being completely objective as to what might be fun around that area. For example, not that this could be predicted or planned, two nights ago I was walking around some little trails on the west side of Victoria with another engineer with whom I trained and his fiance and their dog. So deer are everywhere, and we stumble across a lone, tiny, baby deer, and unlike all the larger deer, their dog could keep up very well with it. (Chased it friggin 40 minutes) We have to take our pursuit to recover their dog into some serious foliage and filmed ~3min of some absolutely hilarious and cute--at least to like animal lovers--footage of a dog playfully chasing a baby deer.

Edit: teaser pic!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../img_00022.png

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Austin - if you like cigars, Babalu's on 6th is a great place to go. Hand rolled cigars all the way.

Go to Spiderhouse for your coffee, they have a decent-ish selection of beers too. The Pour House near 38th and Lamar is fucking awesome. Enchanted Rock near Austin is pretty cool too.

Go to Lady Bird Lake for some nice walking, and the trailer park restaurants lining South Congress off of Riverside/Congress (headed towards Highway 71) are fucking awesome. They also have a bitchin Big Top candy store too, with some AMAZING candy, and soda.

I can think of tons of shit to do in Austin - and also, if you're up for it, go to Zilker Park for some chilling, and jump in the barton springs pool. That shit will wake you up in a hurry.

Austin > All. Sorry folks. Native of Austin, and I couldn't get out of Houston, Dallas, and Fort Worth fast enough.

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Eh, as Welt said, PZero is a pretty nice arcade if you're into that. Check out the Chinatown in the area. It's really good. Other than that I really have no idea what to do around there. I mostly just visit friends when I head down there.

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Austin is the best! If you enjoy patchouli and armpit stink then you will love Austin. It's like Denver minus the blizzards.