+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

BG Protips Please - Topic: Houston / South Texas Areas - Work Trip May 6-15

BG hi. Help me plan a good/cool/etcetc route through Houston and other areas in south Texas. I know I have tons of driving ahead, but I'm actually stoked to get away for a week or so. So please recommend anything even remotely near where I'll be. Except for some work obligations, everything is very flexible.

I'll be in Houston on Sunday May 6th and then I'll be free the evening after checking in at the Hyatt North--hopefully by 7-8pm. I guess I'll be hanging out northbelt-ish and looking for points of interest! I've only been to Houston once, and that was nothing but 2 taxi rides, 2 flights immediately sandwiching a meeting. But this time I'll be there and curious and looking for fun.

Then I has work stuffs all Monday (no idea what doin mon night) then work stuffs til ~3pm Tuesday afternoon. After that, I have no obligation other than to be checked-in in Victoria southwest of Houston. I'm game to stay in/around Houston late enough to get there maybe ~2-3am or later even if good times are a get. I'll be driving through Sugar Land / SW Houston area from Northbelt area.

More work stuffs all over some south tejas areas until May 14th. Then the mission is return to the TX panhandle and get D3 inc from amazon (at which point mission is vacation + diablo 3. aurik and you other hc d3 peeps be rdy 4srs)

I'll be taking a pit stop in Austin. Where else should I go?

I may end up leaving from somewhere west of Victoria near or around Alice. Then I'd probably start back north through San Antonio. Or I leave from Victoria. Either way, Austin will be got. And home will happen. Just no real rush.

I could just attack the highways and vroom I-35 to FW and US-287 through Wichita Falls. Or stay south more and work west and find a more scenic route. For example, I was looking at north on TX-70 from Dickens all the way across I-40. Or I could even detour back through Houston for sumfin.

What should I do? My job requires a lot of windshield time (kinda desensitized to it), and now I get to use some to see cities/areas new to me. So even if an idea someone throws out requires a significant detour before my next destination, it's still a possibility.

Spoiler: show
    sb, let's hook up, k

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

The original Salt Grass (a steak house similar to Long Horn Steak house) is there on 59 on the south side of down town. There's also a pretty cool aquarium down town as well. A friend of mine lives down there, I'll text her when it's not 1:30a.m.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Texas is a shit hole for the most part. I'd avoid it if at all possible. South Texas is about as bad as it can get. Anything that borders mexico is majorly fucked up. The cartel war shit spills right over and they don't care. If you travel with pretty girls or look like cash money be extra vigilant and aware.

All of this is worth mentioning because news media refuses to cover story's about cartel-anything for fear of retaliation.

Houston is a terrible place to visit, but a great place to live!

I am hope.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Wichita Falls has nothing really, no point in stopping there. Austin is a big music area right now, if you stay for any amount of time you should look into who is playing.
    San Antonio has The Alamo if you like historic stuff. There is also the river walk, which is a big tourist area, and very close to The Alamo.
    For Houston, no idea.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I personally believe that Austin is the only worthwhile part of Texas. It's nerdy and progressive. Since you're only making a pit stop, I don't know what you'll have time to see. Nonetheless, if you want to hit up good arcades, stop in some Japanese shops/restaurants, buy some boba drinks, and so on, it's the place to be.

http://arcadeufo.com/

http://www.yelp.com/search?&find_loc...show_filters=1

http://www.yelp.com/search?&find_loc..._desc=japanese

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...c=Austin%2C+TX

If you want something more nature-oriented, I couldn't help you there. While I normally love state and national parks, I didn't visit any such places in Texas.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I just reread your post, when you are traveling from Houston to Victoria, make sure to stop at Bucky's in Wharton, it's right off hwy 59. It's a mega-gas station, pretty cool place, and they have their own butcher for different types of beef jerky.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Haxx View Post
    Texas is a shit hole for the most part. I'd avoid it if at all possible. South Texas is about as bad as it can get.
    I've lived and worked in rural Texas (TX PH, western OK, southwest Kansas) since graduating college. I know well that much of the state is shit, but I will probably be loving life just being able to drive and catch jobs in a new area.

Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post
    I personally believe that Austin is the only worthwhile part of Texas. It's nerdy and progressive. Since you're only making a pit stop, I don't know what you'll have time to see.
    Yeah I had a lot of fun in Austin last time, but I've only been there that one weekend. I will definitely be hitting up bc smoke shop on Guadalupe. (Another bible belt state's highway patrol took my pipes/chillums, and some of that cool stuff I got in Austin, so I want to replace. The arcades and shopstuffs all look good; thanks Kohan. I may sneak out of the Alice/Victoria areas and get headed back and stop in Austin a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kohan
    If you want something more nature-oriented, I couldn't help you there. While I normally love state and national parks, I didn't visit any such places in Texas.
    Yeah, I know Texas isn't good for this necessarily, but it's so big, there has to be some spots that are kinda pretty. Nearer where I live, I like hiking, snowboarding, mountain biking, riding dirt bike trails, etc. in places like north NM (ABQ/Santa Fe) and all over in Colorado (from SW CO like Telluride up through to the I-70 resorts). I was told TX state highway 70 is pretty scenic some of the way north/south across west Texas.

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

San Antonio and Austin are the only worthwhile places in Texas. San Antonio has fiesta texas and sea world too. The river walk is fun, and fiesta is starting soon, so that is a couple weeks on partying.

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I'll find out what is going on during those weeks. Or check sacurrent.com

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Hopefully I'm far enough south at the end of my field work that I come back through San Antonio. I may start back home a little early and stay the night of the 14th in Austin... get some more time there.

But you guys gotta know you can prob safely extend your definition of what's worthwhile. Compared to Gray County / Pampa, TX, anywhere east of I-35 is going to be enjoyable for me. (*'-');

I'm just a normal single dude working in BFE. Here anyone mid 20s or older has 2-3 kids and 2-3 divorces. No nightlife, no bars, no restaurants you've heard of or any healthy competition in any industry other than energy for that matter. (I could rant up a brill story or something about the ridiculous bullshit that flies in Pampa.) So yeah, if I can go out and be free any night of the week anywhere in Houston, I'll be comparatively in heaven if for nothing more than vibrant life and activity around me and probably some nice looking--slutty or not--women. I'm sure I could just aimlessly walk around and be content enough, but I know BGers could point me to good ideas.

Onto plan B...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

You could hit up sixth street in Austin. That's a pretty interesting place if you like bars and such. On the same note, northgate in College Station is pretty good, too. Sixth street is obviously better because it's Austin but northgate is pretty cool. If you stop in Austin for a bit, you can walk around to a lot of places like the little antique shop if you enjoy looking at neat old stuff. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me but it's pretty popular. On the way up I-35, you can hit up the Czech stop and get some amazing Czech food. I've been basically all over Texas, but never really had a chance to stop in a place and check out all the neat little things.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

I went to Houston last year for work. There is a really big ass mall if that is your thing. Planet Zero, for as much as it screws up tourneys, is a VERY nice arcade if you want to stop in there.

Other than that, just a bunch of restaurants and bars. None stuck out as being better than others. I did go to a really good sushi place downtown (forgot the name of it, but the decor/interior was all red).

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

So I'm gonna leave early and pace myself getting there, stopping in Austin on the way there too. I'll give that city a night tomorrow then finish the drive to Houston and be free most of Sunday. And then probably more leisure time and another night in Austin on an equally chill return trip beginning of the following week. Need to be back for d3omg

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

If you go see the Alamo, make sure you take the tour that goes through the basement. Cool place.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Feathermoon

Be sure to call everyone queers.

We always welcome people who call us that.

Also, fuck Austin.
    Houston >
    (I secretly envy Austin's night life however)

Edit: Kemah is worth while if you swing by there, if not, owell.

Tonko

Haters gonna hate.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Laude Valiquette
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Come to Killeen, lots of fun to be had here.

lol

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

South Texas sucks, lived there was 6 years (Corpus Christi to be exact). Fuck Alice, Fuck Taft, Fuck Refugio, Fuck Victoria, Fuck [insert rest of Texas]. Real talk, the only highlight was my trip to San Antonio having my broski Dimmy so close. Other than that, stay the fuck in Houston and forget that South Texas bullshit.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Laude View Post
    Come to Killeen, lots of fun to be had here.

lol
    Almost got me.