Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

FINAL FANTASY XI 2012 Roadmap (04/25/2012)

FINAL FANTASY XI 2012 Roadmap

Hear ye, hear ye, honored adventurers of Vana'diel!

It is with great pleasure that we bring you the FINAL FANTASY XI roadmap for the six-month period commencing April 2012.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/at...353471&thumb=1Link to pic: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/at...1&d=1335353471

From this update on, new content will be announced in three different categories to more clearly illustrate both content priority and implementation timeframes. Furthermore, yellow cells denote new features that are either particularly important or wide ranging.

Development Stance

The new development cycle adopted at the end of last year will continue, with players testing specific content on the test server, and our development and quality assurance teams refining it based on feedback collected. This process ensures that we will be able to release version updates at a quicker pace and provide a challenging, enjoyable adventuring experience.

Development and Update Release Cycle

1. Development of new content
    2. Introduction on test server and announcement on official forums
    3. Playtesting phase
    1. Feedback from test server participants received.
    2. Development and QA teams explore possible refinements.
    4. Refinement phase
    Content is adjusted based on playtesting feedback and updated on the test server.
    (*Cycle repeats from step two until content is deemed ready for release.)
    5. Content released!

The following new content is scheduled to feature on the test server in the coming months:

Content

* Job-related Updates
    The group two merit point category will receive adjustments early on, followed by the addition of new two-hour abilities and adjustments to monsters' enfeebling magic resistance. Subsequent enhancements to these new two-hour abilities are scheduled for later this year along with an expansion of the job-specific merit point categories.

Multiple adjustments for specific jobs are also planned, as illustrated on the roadmap.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/at...353138&thumb=1http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/at...353160&thumb=1

* Battle Content Updates
    In addition to adjustments planned for Voidwatch, Legion, and the Walk of Echoes, previous battle content such as Limbus, Einherjar, and Salvage are set to receive expansions.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/at...353178&thumb=1http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/at...353195&thumb=1

Two new battle systems and are also scheduled to be introduced and expanded during this time. One system will involve dungeon exploration, while the other will allow PCs to play as monsters.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/at...353215&thumb=1http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/at...353233&thumb=1
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/at...353310&thumb=1http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/at...353249&thumb=1

* Miscellaneous Updates
    This category includes system-related and user interface adjustments.

Many of the proposed UI changes will solely affect the Windows version of the game, and some of the first adjustments made will be to introduce new icons and increase their resolution. The next priority will be the introduction of layout customization and a multi-windowed mode, including support for font vectorization and multiple log windows.

After this, we will implement support for continual display of the macro palette, and explore the possibility of displaying recast times in the macro palette.

* Fine-tuning Based on Player Feedback
    There are currently multiple features displayed on the roadmap that are undergoing refinement based on user feedback. New features will also likely be introduced on the test server even after the release of this roadmap, so stay tuned!

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/at...353393&thumb=1http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/at...353408&thumb=1
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Further details that emerge regarding these updates will be announced on the FINAL FANTASY XI forums, playable on the test server, and discussed at VanaFest 2012.

May you continue to enjoy your adventures in Vana'diel for years to come!
    ------
    Sincerely, the FINAL FANTASY XI Development and Operations Teams

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Making a new post since it's soooo..um...MEGATON.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

lol do they think FFXI will be mainstreamed if they try to turn always-on macro button icons into WoW style clickable skills? It's official all their eggs are in FFXIV's basket.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Well, looks like we won't be having the cape argument with the Cait Siths anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynplaine View Post
    lol do they think FFXI will be mainstreamed if they try to turn always-on macro button icons into WoW style clickable skills? It's official all their eggs are in FFXIV's basket.
    In addition to the completely horrible mouse controls.

* Fine-tuning Based on Japanese Feedback
    Fixed that. Everyone knows the devs/translators pay zero attention to anything but the JP test server forum.

There is really nothing in that entire roadmap that interests me enough to keep subscribing until perhaps after *all* of it is implemented so I can see/laugh-at it all in one go.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The whole layout is odd too. You mean we really aren't going to have DRk/ BST/ and PUP fixes until the end of the year?

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

No worse than them celebrating FFXI's 10th birthday by adjusting the papyrus droprate and relic +1 acquisition from NPC.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

For some reason, I had thought Provenance was the formerly named Dungeon Crawl (even though that doesn't make much sense when you see the zone itself). Glad to hear Dungeon Crawl is actually an entirely new event. Revamped Salvage/Ein/Limbus sounds fine too. I always thought Limbus/Salvage in particular was much fun.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

That timeline is a whole bunch of nothing but it does involve the first chocobo digging updates since the silks in 2009 so I guess I'll take it!

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Not that I'm in the habit of SE white-knighting, but I have to ask what you expected? You've got a mix of new events and old revamped events. You've got a host of new job abilities. You've got UI adjustments etc. Believe me, I'd LOVE a new xpac, but any xpac wouldn't get announced till Vana anyway.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

i'll take what i can get from a 10 year old game. i'm glad that cait sith finally has a set timeframe to look forward to.

glad to see limbus/ein/salvage expansion. if they play their cards well with salvage expansion, i might finally get my mythic completed.
    as for the new weapons and armor.. not too sure i'm so keen. the significance of new weapons has been heavily downplayed by the relative ease of getting empyreans, and now relics too. equipment sets are nice.. but then again, there aren't really many stretched out events that really put them to the test. hopefully the expansions for old systems will be well received, and also be worth the time/effort.

I hope the dungeon exploration system will be good. would be interesting.. and as for the play-as-monster one.. lol not getting my hopes up. things that sound interesting don't always end up being good. i could see it as being a more free and easy version of pankration.. hopefully it'll be fun

overall, i think it actually seems more interesting than 2011 was. will still hold out for surprises at vanafest

I'm very impressed with the scale of the UI adjustments they're planning on doing, it's far beyond what my low expectations were, in particular the allowance for player-created stuff.

I'll make sure to reactivate in a year when said things are actually fucking available presuming I'm not playing something else. (XIV 2.0 will be out by then, so meh)

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Im hoping SE's verbage with some of the untitled stuff hints that there is a new expansion coming...

Because if not then the whole roadmap is really "Yo dawg, we heard you like old events..."

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

May you continue to enjoy your adventures in Vana'diel for years to come!
    Let's see what Vanafest brings.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

i'll take what i can get from a 10 year old game.
    This is a really stupid attitude, the age of the game makes no difference. The playerbase should be as valued as they ever were, if they can put a massive amount of effort into a game that is a complete flop they can put 1/4 of that effort into this one.

Other games do it, why is this company any different. The moment you take your playerbase for granted is the moment you stop having one.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Oh, in case anyone cares.... on April 19, Square-Enix registered a US trademark for the title "A Realm Reborn." Speculation? Even given the scope of all things Square-Enix, I can't really imagine that would refer to something other than FFXI or FFXIV (and that's certainly more of a subtitle/expansion title than a full game title).

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Sounds more like something for XIV than XI. Regardless, we'll probably know come test server if they slip in more ROM9 goods accidentally.

Also annoyed at the PC changes being superficial to the actual gameplay. I could really do with more animation lock removals, or removal of the stupid delay-wait before engaging BS before I would a botched new interface.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Oh, in case anyone cares.... on April 19, Square-Enix registered a US trademark for the title "A Realm Reborn." Speculation? Even given the scope of all things Square-Enix, I can't really imagine that would refer to something other than FFXI or FFXIV (and that's certainly more of a subtitle/expansion title than a full game title).
    http://www.siliconera.com/2012/04/22...-ffxiv-reboot/

In the darkness the Crystal dreams

From the flames of Destruction
    A new Beginning rises

Come, brave heroes
    Heed the Crystal’s call

Gather once more
    And witness a realm reborn.
    If they annoy me anymore with XI they can take that XIV crystal and shove it somewhere painful, XI is important enough to me that I'll never touch any online title they put out again if they don't look after it. They aren't gonna fool me twice.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

As far as I can tell, that poem was released without any reference to FFXI or FFXIV, it could be referring to either one. Given the scope of FFXIV 2.0, I'd certainly assume it's referring to FFXIV, but I see no specific reference to either one. If it was FFXIV, it would be mildly amusing that they are referring to the first two years of the game's life as "flames of destruction."

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Quote Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
    As far as I can tell, that poem was released without any reference to FFXI or FFXIV, it could be referring to either one. Given the scope of FFXIV 2.0, I'd certainly assume it's referring to FFXIV, but I see no specific reference to either one.
    http://static.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl...001.png?_v=8h2

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
    As far as I can tell, that poem was released without any reference to FFXI or FFXIV, it could be referring to either one. Given the scope of FFXIV 2.0, I'd certainly assume it's referring to FFXIV, but I see no specific reference to either one. If it was FFXIV, it would be mildly amusing that they are referring to the first two years of the game's life as "flames of destruction."
    Seems pretty obvious to me that they're referring to XIV 2.0.

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

"A realm reborn" is gonna be for FFXIV, a meteor is gonna hit and wipe everything out. Revamped/condensed zones, new music aka 2.0.

This whole FFXI vs FFXIV is why doing two MMO's at the same time from the same company is such a bad idea. You have people who've invested literally 10 years in one game that is gonna stay regardless and flame the "new kid on the block(FFXIV) regardless of how good XIV turns out.

I do think its kind of sad that SE really hasn't given XI enough love, but I understand that XIV is their baby.