+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tocks     submit to reddit submit to twitter

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Tocks

Everyone knows that Ticks are about 3 seconds for stuff like Bio II, Poison, etc., but there's also this weird category of other debuffs/enhancements that uses 10 second ticks.
    * The INT down from Dulling Arrow
    * Tier 2 Etude stat enhancement
    * Helices

I move that we call 10 second ticks "tocks!" Anyone oppose it?

These appear to be tied to a global timer, as tocks will occur at the same time for all tock-related effects (spam refresh your equipment menu with two tier 2 etudes on to see what I mean).

This also explains why people initially had difficulty explaining the timing of the first DoT Tick for helices. Because it's tied to a global timer, it's not tied to the time you cast the spell. You can get Etudes and Helices that have their first DoT/down-stat tock almost immediately, or you can get ones that almost go a full 10 seconds until the first tock, or really any option in between. It is possible ticks also work this way, but at 3 seconds it would be kind of hard to see.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I'm ok with this.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Would HP/MP restored while resting be considered to process every 'tock' or is that another separate timer?

First invited, last in the zone.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    It is possible ticks also work this way, but at 3 seconds it would be kind of hard to see.
    I don't know if it's just client lag or what, but on COR, if I throw up dancer's/tactician's rolls, I will see different targets tick up HP/TP at different times.

That said, I've got no problem with calling them tocks, although I've been calling them long-ticks informally.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Ophannus View Post
    Would HP/MP restored while resting be considered to process every 'tock' or is that another separate timer?
    It's different

Requiescat in pace.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    This also explains why people initially had difficulty explaining the timing of the first DoT Tick for helices. Because it's tied to a global timer, it's not tied to the time you cast the spell. You can get Etudes and Helices that have their first DoT/down-stat tock almost immediately, or you can get ones that almost go a full 10 seconds until the first tock, or really any option in between. It is possible ticks also work this way, but at 3 seconds it would be kind of hard to see.
    I thought we figured all this out back when people were trying to modus AV to death.

/shrug