+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Character Biographies     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Character Biographies

Here you go, people: a thread for those of you inclined to share your pre-written character biographies (you know you're dying to share your character ideas, too). I'm not really into the whole 'RP' thing, but Guild Wars 2's character biographies almost make it tempting... Most of this is wiki/official site copypasta, but I've 'touched up' the pre-written bios to make them work a little better... but I won't delve any deeper into the strange, strange world of RP. I won't!

Here's a rundown of my first five characters (there will be five character slots at launch).

———

http://www.guildwars2.com/global/inc...mer-header.gif
    http://www.guildwars2.com/global/inc...ari-header.jpg
    Male, tailor and artificer

"While I was still a part of the pale tree, I dreamt of a shield and the moon and felt called to do my part to rescue this world from the great dragons. A shield and the moon are symbols of protection and healing. Sylvari who dream they're protected by the moon have strong faith and fortitude. I hope I'm worthy of such a vision.

Because of my vision, I believe the most important of Ventari's lessons is that we should “act with wisdom, but act.” It's one thing to know what's right and another to do what's right. We all have a calling... I will distinguish myself through my actions and elevate Tyria to a higher state of nobility.

The Pale Tree awakened me during the cycle of day. Sylvari who are awakened mid-day are head-on, straight-forward problem solvers. We are the warriors, hunters, and travelers who experience life first-hand and enjoy the rush of taking risks in order to feel truly alive.

I am a magical duelist – that is, a mesmer – and I rely on deception and confusion to keep my opponent in check. Your indecision and confusion are my path to victory. Using powerful illusions, I ensure that I am never in direct danger. Just when you think you've figured out what I'm doing, illusions begin to shatter, clones start to fade away, and you realize you've been swinging at empty air all along. I hope you'll have fun trying to keep your eye on the real me.

A mesmer's mask projects an image, a precept emotion. I see the world from behind the mask of a harlequin's smile. It takes bravery to face your fears and seize your victories. Never let them see you without a confident smile.

I'm dignified even when up to my ears in mud. It's what makes people respect me. A serious, thoughtful demeanor is the route to success.

These are my weapons, skills, and traits.
    "

———

http://www.guildwars2.com/global/inc...ief-header.gif
    http://www.guildwars2.com/global/inc...man-header.jpg
    Male, leatherworker and jeweler

"My biggest regret is that I never knew my true parents. When I was only an infant, I was given to the orphanage in the Salma district of Divinity's Reach. A kind couple took me in, raised me, and became my family. I loved them, but I've always wondered about my real parents.

When I was twelve, I ran away from home after a simple argument with my adoptive father. I was only gone for ten days, but in that time, I learned to deal with any trouble that arose. Near the end of those ten days, I began to miss my adoptive parents and went back home. I found my home under a cloud of smoke, an ominous orange glow illuminating the windows. A local gang had broken in to steal the few valuables we had, set the house on fire, and left my adoptive parents for dead. There was nothing left for me. From that time on, I grew up in the streets, poor, living hand to mouth. Every day was a challenge, but like I tell my buddy Quinn, "If it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger." I've worked hard to change my luck, but I've still got a long way to go.

In spite of my personal tragedies, everyone always told me that I was blessed by Lyssa when I was young. Lyssa wears many masks. She is the many-faced goddess of beauty, water and illusion. She is the patron of the most attractive and graceful among us, but also the deceptive and elusive. Her blessings have touched me all my life.

I am a thief, a master of stealth and surprise. I am deadly in single combat — particularly when catching my foe off his guard. I easily compensate for my lack of fortitude by being quick and evasive. I move through the shadows, vanish into thin air, and I can even steal from my opponent and use whatever I find as a weapon against him. Watch your back, or I will watch it for you.

As a thief, it's important to understand the need for subterfuge. A mask draws attention, and an uncovered face allows people to identify you. I prefer something more subtle... a drawn hood lets me blend into the crowd, and no one knows I was there.

I'm charming. No one can resist me when I'm at my best. I know just what to say to lighten the mood or bolster courage.

"

———

http://www.guildwars2.com/global/inc...ian-header.gif
    http://www.guildwars2.com/global/inc...orn-header.jpg
    Female, armorsmith and cook

"I believe the most important quality of a great hero is instinct. A true hero listens to the inner wisdom inspired by the Spirits of the Wild. Instinct, such as that which animals rely upon, guides a hunter to triumph and glory.

At a recent celebratory moot held in Hoelbrak, I lost an heirloom. I inherited one of Romke's Horns, a magical ancestral heirloom passed down through generations. After one too many drinks, however, I wagered it on a contest of strength... and lost.

When I was still a cub, I had a vision. A spirit of the wild spoke to me and offered its guardianship. That spirit was wolf. Wolf represents the value of having a pack behind you. He imparts the virtues of loyalty, ferocity, and strength in numbers. When he came to me, he whispered of my heroic future and told me I would never be alone.

I am a devout and devoted fighter and friend, able to upon my strong sense of virtue to smite my enemies and empower my allies. A true guardian is a master tactician who knows when to sacrifice her own defenses to help her allies to victory.

Long ago, I determined my path, and nothing will sway me from it. I am stalwart in my beliefs and immovable in my loyalties. The weight of these fanatic's pauldrons reminds me of the burden I carry.

I'm dignified even when up to my ears in mud. It's what makes people respect me. A serious, thoughtful demeanor is the route to success.
    "

———

http://www.guildwars2.com/global/inc...ior-header.gif
    http://www.guildwars2.com/global/inc...arr-header.jpg
    Male, weapon and armorsmith

"I am proud to be an Iron Legion soldier. I march to the thunderous sound of great war machines. The Iron Legion has ignited our industrial revolution. We perfected metalwork, cannons, and - most importantly - guns.

I would die for my warband, especially Euryale, our elementalist and my sparring partner. She's the most loyal soldier in the warband... but she's also stubborn, bad-tempered and over-protective. At least she's honest. She stands by me, and I trust her with my life.

They tell me the charr that sired me is a sorcerous shaman... and Flame Legion shamans once enslaved us. Because of this, my father is treated with suspicion and mistrust... I must overcome his reputation.

I am a proud warrior and a master of all weapons... but I do not rely on weapons alone. Strength, toughness, and the heaviest armor I can find keep me going in battle. I'll shrug off blow after blow and stay in the fight, because all the while, adrenaline builds and fuels my fury in battle... and the more adrenaline that surges through me, the more powerful I become, increasing my strength with every attack.

A true warrior wears no helmet. My enemies will cringe and falter when they see the fearless determination on my face.

I'm ferocious. Threatening violence gets me further than anything else. I'm a natural, though I do try to use my powers of intimidation for good.

"

———

http://www.guildwars2.com/global/inc...ger-header.gif
    http://www.guildwars2.com/global/inc...ura-header.jpg
    Male, huntsman and cook

"I am a member of the College of Dynamics, the college of gizmo-makers extraordinaire. Energy, enthusiasm, and boldness are our best qualities. We believe in leveraging the expendable nature of all things. If a prototype explodes, it isn't a failure unless the lesson goes unlearned.

My first creation was a Transatmospheric Converter. What unmitigated joy to be able to change the weather at my whim! If only the prototype had been more powerful. Nevertheless, the design was cutting-edge. My transatmospheric converter was a masterpiece of utter genius. I wish I'd had more funding.

My first advisor, the one who taught me almost everything I know (almost), was Master Blipp. He was known for his redundancies as well as his redundancies. He often said, "Your first try should never be your last, especially if it succeeded. You can always succeed bigger next time."

I rely on my intellect, keen eye, steady hand, and the power of nature itself -- I am a ranger. I am master of the longbow, capable of striking unwitting foes from a distance while the rest of the stupid bookas charge directly into battle and reveal themselves to the enemy. I am accompanied by my pet, a stalker.

My pet stalker fights at my side and guards my flank. He is a good friend. He is calm, silent, and swift as an arrow from the bow. His eyes reveal his intelligence.

I'm ferocious. Threatening violence gets me further than anything else. I'm a natural, though I do try to use my powers of intimidation for good.

"

———

Sooo, yea. I think I tied everything together nicely... and feel appropriately weird about it. But the whole thing is pretty cool, I guess. Helps immersion and all. *clears throat*

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

It really doesn't take that much effort, guys. These took me 11 minutes. lol

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I just don't want to do it since the options are so limited, you're going to see nothing but clones of one another anyway.`

Official Nannyman of Nikkei's Harem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I consider the Main Quest story (or stories, as it were) kinda separate from the MMO character. After all, other than making a few choices along the way, you're watching this character react to things. You're a guide for your character in the Main Story.

Instead, why not talk about YOUR character -- even if you don't intend to RP. I haven't really done a lot of RPing in MMOs, but I always have an idea of who my character is. It does affect how I play them, and how I approach what they wear, crafts, and (if appropriate for the MMO) where they live.

Example (names withheld to protect the indecisive)
    My sylvari is a necromancer, and a twin* -- born together from the Pale Tree at dusk with her sister (a mesmer my friend is going to play), the pair embraced their inherent magical aptitude. While her sister pursued the ordering of chaos, my sylvari embraced the manipulation of life energy -- the first time she reached out and grabbed a creature's life force with her will, and knew she could twist it as she pleased, was a revelatory moment. My sylvari embraces the last of Ventari's tenants, that where life goes, so too should you -- with a passion. She has a fierce wanderlust, and drags her more reluctant sister wherever and whenever she can.

My asuran engineer always had a better mechanical aptitude than magical. He respects the Eternal Alchemy in his own particular way. He's not much of an inventor, as such -- he much prefers to take the inventions of others, learn how they work, and make them better. Refinement and field testing are his keys to success. He's the type to pursue risky and dangerous situations, not because he neglects to be concerned about them (as many asuran inventors do), but because they are the best way to test his work.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm sticking to two... for now, at least. There are other character concepts floating around, but until I decide to do something with them, they're cheap bank space with a character model.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragir View Post
    It really doesn't take that much effort, guys. These took me 11 minutes. lol
    We just don't want to look like giant RP fags.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    ArenaNet did all the RP'ing for you. Total plausible deniability!

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deecup Delight
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

Dost thou not liketh ye old RP of yore? LOLeth

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Character Biography:

Level 1 Charr Necromancer.

Official Nannyman of Nikkei's Harem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I guess I get the stigma against "RPers" in MMOs; they have a reputation for being bad at the game and, honestly, not so great at roleplaying. I've been doing tabletop and online RPing for... well, a couple of decades, we'll leave it at that, and I've... I've seen some shit.

Doesn't really stop me from developing character concepts, though. It's the old D&D/WoDer in me, never can create a character without Creating a Character. I find it pretty fun.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

What I mean to say with that last post is that it isn't technically "RP'ing", and as I said in the OP, I never have and probably never will.

The OP is just 'copypasta' of the choices I'll make in the character creation process. The fact that I've decided for all 5 characters ahead of time might be a little odd... but I only did that because I have all this nothing-to-do time between spring and summer semesters and any beta weekends and release.

Wasn't there a character bio creator somewhere where you could just click your choices and create a link/tag-thing? Rest of you lazy bums who don't know how to CTRL-C/V can use that.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Duh, it was on Luna-Atra the whole time.

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/character_tool/

There it is. Gotta click on the British flag for English.