+ Reply to Thread
    Relic Shield
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Akama

Google Desktop replacement

Hi all, someone at our company used google desktop to search for emails for quite a while (the guy gets hundreds of emails a day). Google stopped supporting google desktop, and when we upgraded the user to office (outlook) 2010, google desktop stopped tracking new emails. In addition he is using windows XP. Is there any replacement program that can be used to track/search emails in a similar fashion to what google desktop did? Thanks

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Reznuh
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Outlook 2010 breaks all kinds of things until the creators of everything broken catch up and fix them. That being said Windows Search should work with it, although I haven't tried it myself (I'm the only person on 2010 in my company, everyone else is still sitting at 2007), and I see all kinds of posts about it not working and different solutions to make it work. That might be worth looking into though. Good luck!

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Is there a reason their still on XP and not 7x64?
    Thatll solve all your problems right there.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

If it's a work environment they may have programs that don't run on 64bit or even Vista/7. Hell the coroner's office for the sheriff's department I worked for was still using a web based program that would only work in IE6 till they finally paid for an upgrade to the software. We also have a bunch of law enforcement programs that refuse to work in a 64bit environment, so Win 7 Pro 32 bit is what we have to stay at.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Akama

Correct, we do have many programs that only work on 32bit, and the cost of replacing them is around the range of 5000-7500 dollars per license. That being said, there's really no reason to upgrade to windows 7 for every computer, as it'd be expensive and time consuming. For our newer computers, we do get windows 7, but I do need a google desktop replacement in the meantime. Will try windows search

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Slott View Post
    Correct, we do have many programs that only work on 32bit, and the cost of replacing them is around the range of 5000-7500 dollars per license. That being said, there's really no reason to upgrade to windows 7 for every computer, as it'd be expensive and time consuming. For our newer computers, we do get windows 7, but I do need a google desktop replacement in the meantime. Will try windows search
    You are probably aware of this, but xp support is ending in 2 years, so your company will need to look to do some updates if they want to stay current.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

That doesnt stop anyone though lol.
    Plenty of top companies using NT4 and 2000 servers.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Akama

So, about that google desktop replacement...

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

This thread is kind of old I know.... I still think its good to give some alternatives to Google Desktop:
    - Lookeen
    - Copernic
    - X1
    - Everything

My personal recommendation is Lookeen. It started as an Outlook plugin but is a fully desktop tool since version 10 and has a nice free version. Similar to the Copernic lite version but with an infinite index.

Damian