Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ballista Revolution     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ballista Revolution

Ballista Revolution

I just want to throw this word out there to any remaining or new Ballista players so that they can be better informed of the current situation.

♣♦♣♦♣♦♣♦♣♦♣♦♣♦♣♦

I'm hoping to get a community established on the test server for those that can't server hop to:

• Carbuncle[60 cap Official Matches + Elite Diorama]

• Phoenix[Elite 1v1]

• Lakshmi [I don't have an applicable link here - but it's a server known for 99 cap Official Matches now, reminiscent of Fenrir.]

• Fenrir[60 cap Official matches, diorama matches, and some uncap official matches.]

♣♦♣♦♣♦♣♦♣♦♣♦♣♦♣♦

Ballista Royale on Undine proposal~
    NA vs JP
    Was Ballista your favourite thing to do in FFXI?
    Ballista - Test Server!
    FFXI Ballista: Vocal Remarks

This is the program I use regarding the official match schedule.

♣♦♣♦♣♦♣♦♣♦♣♦♣♦♣♦

For those really dedicated, we run a LS that focuses on playing with JP players in the diorama. If you are interested in becoming a member of Ballista Revolution; please don't hesitate to contact us, thank you.

Welcome to Ballista Revolution
    Spoiler: show

—Written by Teishi

It has come to our attention that some players may view this website or our videos but never come forward and present themselves. Even several of our current members admit that they were shy and hesitant before introducing themselves to us. As the group leader, I really want to make it clear that we want you to come play Ballista! Even if you’ve never played a single match or don’t have any level 60 gear, it doesn’t matter. Take that first step, and I guarantee you’ll enjoy what we have to offer.

P.S. To those who may have quit FFXI or have lost interest in the grind, consider trying Ballista. With us, Ballista is a completely separate game from FFXI. The mechanics and strategies are totally different. You can have a fresh start in a whole ‘new game’, and your hard earned gil and job levels give you a nice head start!

Members
    Carbuncle Arc (May 2012 – Present):
    ♠ NA LS
    • Aeonknight [H]
    • Ballistaman [G] (Taking a break)
    • Evviva / Azurro [M/G]
    • Kayci / Scudo [M/E]
    • Megume [H] (Retired)
    • Nicaragua [H] (Retired)
    • Pikkiwoki [E] (Taking a break)
    • Salaifa [H]
    • Shyfeargozu [G]
    • Singingbrakeman / Whiteunicorn [G/E]
    • Smaragd [H]
    • Southamerican / Gordis [H/G]
    • Teishi / Desuyo / Salvo [M/T/G]
    • Vyii [E]
    • Yozen / Justinbieber [H/G]
    • Zhouer [E] (Retired)
    • Zirk / Berzirk [H/G]

♠ JP LS
    • Absorb [H]
    • Arabull [G]
    • Apollorng / Mrrng [G/H]
    • Avirex [E]
    • Baosbrave / Bering [T/G]
    • Ceui [H]
    • Fuubar [E]
    • Galkax / Vei [G/H]
    • Garan [E]
    • Godspeeds [G]
    • Herald / Atsillab [G/T]
    • Kanary / Mytymask [H/G]
    • Keithlight [T]
    • Kumadoli [G]
    • Mariaslily / Zeni [M/G]
    • Minowaman [G]
    • Morningglory [H]
    • Nerodysepia [E]
    • Nirx [G]
    • Nordal / Norgal [H/G]
    • Nyanatan [H]
    • Nyarlathotep [T]
    • Onimusya / Irvinex / Littleirvine [G/E/T]
    • Panchilla [T]
    • Peronyan [M]
    • Reparateur / Weaponbreak [G/E]
    • Ryvi [T]
    • Sakigakedeka [G]
    • Saraphy / Berserkr [H/G]
    • Staplestable [T]
    • Teska / Decoy / Massive [E/E/G]
    • Valvosa / Reirav [G/H]
    • Yayokichi / Yayoipamyupamyu / Ryom [E/T/H]
    • Yutaw [H]
    • Yuzumochiko [T]
    • Zakat [E]

Lakshmi Arc (October 2010 – May 2012):
    • Aphar [H] (Disbanded)
    • Ayammi [M] (Alternated characters)
    • Brandonn [H] (Retired)
    • Byrniehq / Buchikon [H/M]
    • Casseur / Reparateur [E/G]
    • Drekien [E] (Retired)
    • Eremes [E] (Cerberus)
    • Evviva [M]
    • Fuma [T] (Taking a break)
    • Fuuring [E] (Disbanded)
    • Gnol [T] (Disbanded)
    • Jspromlx [H]
    • Kayci [M]
    • Kittyguy / Pupipi / Arbelge [G/T/E] (Retired)
    • Merlia / Luty / Kittygirl [H/M/G] (Retired)
    • Migeal [H] (Disbanded)
    • Minibuddha [T]
    • Papasz [G] (Disbanded)
    • Pikkiwoki [E]
    • Rafy [H] (Leviathan)
    • Ricoo [E] (Fenrir)
    • Rilakumatan [G] (M.I.A.)
    • Saffier [H] (M.I.A.)
    • Stfutaru [T]
    • Teishi / Desuyo [M/T]
    • Vyii [E]
    • Walkie / Thewhitedevil [H/G] (Disbanded)
    • Yayokichi [E] (Shiva)
    • Yiri [H] (Retired)
    • Yutaw [H] (Disbanded)
    • Zehw [T]

Siren Arc (June 2010 – October 2010):
    • Aphar [H] (Gilgamesh)
    • Brandonn [H] (Taking a break)
    • Danon [H] (M.I.A.)
    • Drekien [E] (M.I.A.)
    • Hikkoto [E]
    • Jspromlx [H] (Fenrir)
    • Kittyguy / Lastemperor [G/T]
    • Kyanos [H]
    • Merchen / Merchens [H/H]
    • Migeal [H]
    • Miyuto [H]
    • Myarkos [T]
    • Pikkiwoki [E]
    • Quintaespada / Reparateur [E/G]
    • Sepia [E]
    • Teishii / Desutaru [M/T]
    • Vyi [E]
    • Yiri [H] (Taking a break)

Archives
    Rooks
    Lv60 Sync
    How to Organize Diorama (Hako)
    Strategy 001: Temp. Team Strategy
    Strategy 002: Two Hours & Mage Killing
    Strategy 003: Field Advantages & Deep Analysis
    Strategy 004: Quarrying Theories
    Strategy 005: Battle Skill vs. Tech Skill (Hyper)
    Strategy 006: Hyper Experimentation
    Strategy 007: X-Hyper
    Strategy 008: How to Improve in Ballista
    Strategy 009: Generalized Quarry Theory

♣♦♣♦♣♦♣♦♣♦♣♦♣♦♣♦

Various youtube channels within our community:
    Teishi
    Vyiv
    Teska
    Valvosa
    Yayokichi
    Galkax
    Irvinez
    Saraphy 1
    Saraphy 2
    Zeni
    Zirk
    Selt
    Valenty
    Tigerbalm
    Galkax
    Nordal

Evviva
    This is my story~

Like most FFXI players, I cherished the many challenges of the game since I first started playing, from completing the subjob quest to limit breaks. After hours upon hours and days upon days of tedious play, I finally reached the maximum job level, found myself a loving linkshell, and was able to participate in the endgame events in which I always dreamed of doing. However, those endgame days were short lived and slowly faded away, as I found a new purpose of playing FFXI.
    I found Ballista.

When I first started playing, it was a blast, killing friends and foes on the blood-stained battlefield. It was an experience like no other. Of course, it wasn't always fun and games. I had my share of the bitter taste of defeat several times, but that didn't stop me from playing. In fact, those defeats motivated me to improve as a player. Over time, though, as new features were introduced to the game, the majority of the few who played Ballista gradually returned to endgame. I admit that even I did. Soon, the thought of Ballista escaped my conscious mind, but I always had a feeling that it was still lurking somewhere within my cloud of thoughts.

I was bored one day, browsing through many different sites on multiple windows of Google Chrome: Facebook, Gmail, Youtube, Redtube, etc. Somehow, I ended up doing a Google search for Ballista and came across a variety of Ballista videos. Most of them were of seemingly senseless '1 on 1 duels', but I stumbled upon some that just blew my mind away. They were from a Ballista LS known as BallistaRevolution, and from there, I was linked to their LS website. I discovered something completely out of the ordinary. Ballista teamplay? There are actually people who do this?

Immediately, I became a fan of their work and wanted to join their Ballista community. Although we were on different servers, I paid the transfer fee and hopped over to theirs without any regret. At first, I was a bit hesitant to speak with them; they seemed to play at an entirely different league than what I was used to. Eventually, I summoned what little courage I had at the time and went for the touchdown. Talking with them turned out easier than I originally thought. After introducing myself, my motives, and goals, my chances of joining their LS seemed more than likely, or so I thought. My Ballista aptitude was tested... rook guard, hyper, third eye ws dodging.. sprint ws dodging, poison>sleep timing.. communication... it was like a game within a game, but rather one so much deeper.

Currently, I'm a proud member of BallistaRevolution, a well-respected LS within the Ballista community.

I just wanted to share with everyone my passion for Ballista, and how those varieties of events influenced me.

I realize that this post is fairly long and completely understand if it was skimmed, but regardless, I humbly thank you for your time in hearing me out.

♣♦♣♦♣♦♣♦♣♦♣♦♣♦♣♦

I will supplement this thread with Ballista videos, screenshots, live streams and blog posts from our community.

I thank you all for your time and will be happy to answer any questions.

Video dump~

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I loved Ballista back in the day, and I support this thread.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

He has great analytical skills both in testing and in normal discourse (Talking smack about "Abraham"). I'm not sure how people will appreciate that type of writing, which I assume is why he avoided posting the material himself. That said, I think some of the findings (X-Hyper) definitely qualify for the math section because such findings use data to find objective mechanics (Namely, the mechanics of items obtained via quarry) rather than proposing subjective strategies.

Thank you for the generous feedback, Yugl!

As for X-Hyper; I agree.
    We believe to have established a working algorithm, however, we haven't persisted extensive analysis necessary to conclude objectivity.
    As such, I will be presenting this to the math section.

Likewise, we would truly appreciate any impression viewers annex from our Youtube display!
    Thanks again everyone~

Trigun

Thank you for all the work you put in, thats pretty awesome. Great music selection.
    I've never done any FFXI PvP but just watching those were very entertaining and I can understand its draw.

I think with commentating and an adjustment or two (I don't know what would make the PvP itself better or if it doesn't need changing at all. Maybe some rewards/new zones?). SE could get more out of the game inspiring players to fight each other. (I am aware that some of the JP's aren't for fighting each other.)

I was browsing around the SE YT channels and saw this video...

Didn't know what was going on, some kind of fun made up game but the commentating/unused zone made me not close it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
    Thank you for all the work you put in, thats pretty awesome. Great music selection.
    I've never done any FFXI PvP but just watching those were very entertaining and I can understand its draw.

I think with commentating and an adjustment or two (I don't know what would make the PvP itself better or if it doesn't need changing at all. Maybe some rewards/new zones?). SE could get more out of the game inspiring players to fight each other. (I am aware that some of the JP's aren't for fighting each other.)

I was browsing around the SE YT channels and saw this video...

Didn't know what was going on, some kind of fun made up game but the commentating/unused zone made me not close it.
    lol, I totally watched that video fully as well...

We always get the question, why 60 cap?
    My personal opinion, regarding 60 cap and 99 cap team play, is this:

Variables that come to my mind, not listed in this blog entry:
    Race, equipment, skill, strategy.

In 60 cap ballista, the following remains true:
    Strategy >> Skill >> Race >> Equipment

In 99 cap ballista, the following remains true:
    Equipment >> Strategy >> Skill >> Race

Internet speed, and computer speed not included.

Share your thoughts~

Copy pasted from the comments section,

This is not to say that we don't respect players that participate in 99.

Suffice to say, there are plenty of other reasons as to why we prefer 60 cap team play other than this excerpt.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

when do you guys normally go? I was looking for any of you online to chat with you about getting back into ballista.

All times are PST.
    Our in house diorama matches we try to plan for the evening; 8-midnight'ish. (unless they interfere with the official matches schedule)
    Diorama matches that we play with the Japanese players are in the morning; 6-noon'ish.(these matches are a bit more exclusive, ranking system in place etc - they always happen, irregardless of official matches)
    If schedules permit, these are the times we like to organize our games.

Official matches fluctuate, as I'm sure you know. We've been trying to promote official matches during NA time on Carbuncle, however, we haven't had much luck as opposed to Lakshmi. That said, OM's on Carbuncle happen anywhere from 2AM to 10AM. Likewise, OM's happen anytime during the weekend~

It should be noted, we don't tolerate disrespectful behavior. To us, Ballista is an event with certain ethics in place. We give a trial run for every potential candidate to gauge how they would fit in with the rest of the community. Skill is secondary to attitude.

I hope this information helps~

Video dump~
    These videos are a bit older, but worth a watch!

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I have absolutely no interest in ballista, however, I can completely respect your intent to develop an aspect of the game that seems to have never taken off. When I think of Ballista, it does remind me of the now empty zones that I see due to the new form of leveling as well as transportation options.

How I would love to see SE introduce rewards to Ballista in line with MMM to encourage more participation, or something similar. Again, I really don't have any desire, but there is so much to this game that goes unused these days.

Now a short hijack sentence- SE change 60+ EXP in old zones with signet/sanction to give old school party exp with much increased values to encourage usage of those zones by putting the exp/hour on pace with abyssea. Oh well, hijack over. Just on the lines of reviving old/unused content.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

You should probably set things up on the test server in order to be able to draw from all servers.

Thanks for the encouragement Celebridor! I completely agree... there is just so so much that goes unused..

Likewise I agree, Khajit, we tried something like that:

But I'm not quite sure how strong those venues are...
    So, simply put, if you'd like to participate in any kind of Ballista match on Undine, please leave a message here, or send me a PM and we'll see how far we get!

Also:

RNG POV:

Past event, post deleted.

Ballista - Test server!

Threads merged~

The best course of action for Ballista on the test server to come true will need to be in the form of official matches; 60+99 cap. I will update this thread with official match times~

Following is the official match listing for 3 days in advance. If you're unable to participate on the test server, I hope this schedule helps de-mystify match times.

10/06/2012 > 13/06/2012

---60CAP ---
    Jugner Forest 10/06/2012
    Entry: 4:09PM PST Match: 04:38PM PST
    Pashow Marshlands 10/06/2012
    Entry: 06:04PM PST Match: 06:33PM PST
    Meriphataud Mountains 10/06/2012
    Entry: 08:00PM PST Match: 08:21PM PST
    Jugner Forest 11/06/2012
    Entry: 08:57PM PST Match: 9:26PM PST
    Pashow Marshlands 11/06/2012
    Entry: 10:52PM PST Match: 11:21PM PST
    Meriphataud Mountains 12/06/2012
    Entry: 12:48AM PST Match: 1:16AM PST
    Jugner Forest 13/06/2012
    Entry: 1:45AM PST Match 2:14AM PST
    Pashow Marshlands 13/06/2012
    Entry: 3:40AM PST Match 4:09AM PST
    Meriphataud Mountains 13/06/2012
    Entry: 05:36AM PST Match: 06:04AM PST

---99CAP---
    Jugner Forest 10/06/2012
    Entry: 9:55PM PST Match: 10:24PM PST
    Pashow Marshlands: 11/06/2012
    Entry: 11:50PM PST Match 12:19AM PST
    Meriphataud Mountains: 11/06/2012
    Entry: 1:45AM PST Match: 2:14AM PST
    Jugner Forest 12/06/2012
    Entry: 2:43AM PST Match: 3:12AM PST
    Pashow Marshlands 12/06/2012
    Entry 04:38AM PST Match: 05:07AM PST
    Meriphataud Mountains 12/06/2012
    Entry: 06:33AM PST Match: 07:02AM PST
    Jugner Forest 13/06/2012
    Entry: 07:31AM PST Match: 08:00AM PST
    Pashow Marshlands 13/06/2012
    Entry: 9:26AM PST Match: 9:55AM PST
    Meriphataud Mountains 13/06/2012
    Entry: 11:21AM PST Match: 11:50AM PST

Please do not change job mid match -or- sign-up before 18:00 to avoid unbalanced job sorting by the herald, thanks!

Please respond to this thread if possible to acknowledge your participation(or PM me) - otherwise, show up at the times listed and we'll go from there. I won't personally be able to attend every match, however the stage is set, and everyone needs to do their part~

Thanks for reading!

A few hako videos from a Japanese player in our community:

This is the program I use regarding the official match schedule:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast