1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 5 hours, 29 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 18 hours, 30 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 22 hours, 29 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 11 hours, 30 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Letter from the Producer, XXVIII (05/28/2012)

Letter from the Producer, XXVIII (05/28/2012)

Hey there, FFXIVers, and welcome to the twenty-eighth Letter from the Producer!
    How is everyone enjoying patch 1.22? Recently, we’ve talked about the two campaigns we have running, and I’d like to say a big thank you to the many people who participated in the Welcome Back Campaign. I’m also thrilled to see so many players meeting the requirements for our Legacy Campaign! Speaking of the Legacy Campaign, it seemed a shame that the awesome Legacy Chocobo art drawn by the talented Akihiko Yoshida was so small, so I took the liberty of making up some wallpaper sizes for everyone to download:

For myself, I’m shifting into super producer mode for the release of version 2.0.
    I’m in Japan right now, but will soon be winging my way to LA for E3.

As mentioned in my previous missive, the focus of this letter will be the third edition of the Players’ Poll, but before we get into that I have a few things I’d like to report.

Well, the public release of version 2.0 is set to kickoff with this year’s E3 in Los Angeles. We also plan to unveil a brand new promotion site for version 2.0 soon after E3 ends.

This new site will feature world lore, character, system, and content updates as soon as the information is available. This means that our existing players will have the chance to follow these updates and see how the current world of FFXIV will transform as we move into version 2.0.

There have been some changes to the roadmap for version 2.0. We had planned to release a new trailer for version 2.0 at E3 this year, but instead we’ve decided to keep it under wraps for now.
    (The current version of the roadmap has been updated to reflect this.)

The devs, Visual Works, Sound, PR—everyone did their part and the trailer itself was completed and ready for release at E3. But during our most recent global PR planning meeting, we came to the conclusion that the most effective way to introduce version 2.0 to the world would be with a flood of new material rather than just a trickle.

In order to make version 2.0 a success, we need to appeal to not only our current players (naturally!), but also as many new players as possible, including PS3 owners. I really am sorry for the changes to the roadmap, but I really hope you understand that they were made with appealing to as many of you as possible in mind. We want to place the highest priority on keeping the 2.0 development schedule on track and on time, and prepare a large-scale promotional campaign filled with mind-blowing stuff!

Now, without further ado, let’s take a look at the results of the third FINAL FANTASY XIV Players’ Poll!
    Thanks to everyone who took the time to participate in this most recent installment.

First off, we have the General Gameplay section.

Q1. Which disciplines do you employ most frequently?
    http://static.finalfantasyxiv.com/to.../5b/4583_0.jpg
    JP NA GB FR DE
    Discipline of War/Magic classes only 24.1% 39.4% 37.0% 33.4% 24.9%
    Discipline of the Land classes only 0.7% 0.3% 0.4% 0.0% 0.7%
    Discipline of the Hand classes only 1.3% 0.7% 0.4% 0.3% 0.0%
    Discipline of War/Magic & Discipline of the Land classes 6.2% 6.8% 7.7% 6.5% 7.1%
    Discipline of War/Magic & Discipline of the Hand classes 33.0% 18.5% 21.5% 26.1% 23.1%
    Discipline of the Land & Discipline of the Hand classes 4.4% 1.5% 1.5% 1.1% 1.1%
    I play all the classes! 30.3% 32.8% 31.5% 32.6% 43.1%
    For all regions, the most popular answer was “all the classes”, followed by “Disciplines of War/Magic only”.
    Unlike other MMOs, FFIV’s Armoury System allows players to experience multiple classes and jobs with a single character—a feature which certainly contributes to this result. Another factor would be the initial inconvenience of the market system, encouraging players to make use of the various disciplines to provide for themselves.
    While battle will continue to be a huge focus going into version 2.0, they’ll be plenty of system and content updates for our avid crafters and gatherers as well.

Q2. How often do you play FINAL FANTASY XIV?
    http://static.finalfantasyxiv.com/to.../5b/4583_1.jpg
    JP NA GB FR DE
    About 1–2 hours per day. 12.2% 8.9% 9.5% 11.4% 11.9%
    About 2–4 hours per day. 37.7% 27.0% 26.4% 31.1% 30.8%
    Over 4 hours per day. 22.7% 34.6% 37.1% 30.3% 29.9%
    About once every 2–3 days. 10.8% 10.8% 10.8% 9.3% 13.7%
    About once every 3–5 days. 4.1% 3.1% 3.5% 4.2% 3.9%
    About once per week. 4.7% 3.4% 3.2% 3.9% 2.3%
    Only right after new patches are released. 7.8% 12.2% 9.5% 9.8% 7.5%
    I was absolutely ecstatic to see that over 60% of players enjoyed logging in every day for 2 or more hours. Add in the people that play for 1-2 hours, and that’s 70% of our players who log in every single day.
    The next most common answer was “once every 2-3 days” and, combined with the previous percentages, that brings us to around 80% of players who responded.
    But don’t think I’m ignoring the 10% of you who only play right after a patch goes live.
    The enjoyment of our players is extremely important to us, and once 2.0 begins, we’ll be merging the current version and version 2.0 dev teams into one consolidated powerhouse that will continue bringing you as much new content as we can in the shortest span of time possible!

Q3/Q4. Do you think the pace of leveling up Disciplines of War and Magic classes is appropriate? (When not power leveling, mind you.)
    http://static.finalfantasyxiv.com/to.../5b/4583_2.jpg
    JP NA GB FR DE
    I think it’s just about right. 52.4% 54.7% 54.4% 61.1% 50.4%
    I think it’s too fast. 25.8% 16.5% 18.1% 17.3% 25.8%
    I think it’s too slow. 10.3% 16.2% 15.8% 15.0% 12.9%
    I think something other than the above three options. 11.5% 12.6% 11.7% 6.6% 10.9%
    50% of you thought the pace of leveling was just about right, while 20% felt it was too fast. And then there was the 10% who had more to say on the matter.
    For most MMOs, you might expect around 60-70% of players to respond with “too slow”, but as the current leveling speed for FFXIV is intentionally set at a higher pace, I’m fairly satisfied with these results.

Question 4 was for those of you who wished to further express your opinion. (And yes, I did read all of them even if we can’t print them all here!)
    The most common response was that the lower levels were too slow, while the higher levels went by too fast. We have no plans to adjust the leveling speed for the current game, but we’ll certainly take these comments into consideration when tweaking the pace for version 2.0.

Q5. What do you like most about the current version of FINAL FANTASY XIV? (Multiple answers allowed)
    http://static.finalfantasyxiv.com/to.../5b/4583_3.jpg
    JP NA GB FR DE
    The quality of characters 22.9% 13.0% 13.8% 15.2% 18.1%
    The world, lore, etc 12.3% 11.5% 11.6% 16.8% 8.6%
    The story 5.4% 10.2% 10.8% 11.4% 13.0%
    Battle System 5.1% 9.3% 9.2% 9.4% 8.7%
    Synthesis 3.8% 4.7% 5.1% 5.8% 5.6%
    Gathering 2.1% 4.0% 4.0% 4.0% 3.4%
    Battle 7.3% 9.8% 9.0% 3.4% 10.5%
    Grand Companies 2.3% 7.4% 7.6% 6.2% 7.6%
    Linkshell communities 7.2% 6.8% 6.2% 6.7% 5.8%
    The promise of version 2.0 28.5% 19.0% 19.4% 19.9% 16.7%
    Other stuff 3.1% 4.3% 3.3% 1.2% 2.0%
    It sure is a mixed bag of emotions looking over these results
    I am, however, glad to see you guys are looking forward to version 2.0!
    Character quality, world lore, story, and battle system make up for around 50% of responses. While this is an MMORPG we’re making, we’ll be taking the idea of “more FF-y” as our main theme as we move forward in development. There’s lots of great stuff on the horizon!

Q6. What would you like to see added to the game? (Up to 2 answers allowed)
    http://static.finalfantasyxiv.com/to.../5b/4583_4.jpg
    JP NA GB FR DE
    Battle content (primal fights, instanced raids, etc.) 23.8% 29.3% 29.4% 28.8% 20.0%
    Disciple of the Hand content (including improvements to the current synthesis system) 16.0% 9.0% 9.3% 9.0% 10.2%
    Disciple of the Land content (including improvements to the current gathering system) 10.8% 5.8% 5.8% 4.2% 6.3%
    Improvements to the user interface 18.0% 20.5% 18.0% 18.4% 15.6%
    Additions to the main scenario 21.0% 25.4% 27.6% 28.1% 32.1%
    Additional quests 10.4% 10.0% 9.9% 11.5% 15.8%
    We’ve been holding off on main scenario additions until version 2.0, so this was the number one request, followed closely by battle content at number two. Next on the list, we have improvements to the user interface.
    There’s still a lot of work being done on the current version, so don’t despair—bug fixes and new content are on the way.
    As for the UI, we’ll be doing a complete overhaul for version 2.0 and I’ll do my best to get the details out to you as soon as I can!

The current scenario is heavily focused on the Grand Companies and their response to the Seventh Umbral Era, but as we move into version 2.0 and explore the world after the new era hits, you’ll see a whole new story arc unfold.
    But for now, I’d suggest completing as much of the current content as you can, because the Seven Umbral Era-related Grand Company quests we have now won’t be available for much longer!
    Oh, and there will of course be a whole slew of changes and improvements to the synthesis and gathering systems.

Aaand would you look at me just rambling on here.
    I should probably show some mercy to the very busy translators and bring this letter to a close! My next letter is already written up, and will be released sometime early next week.

Moving on, Patch 1.22b is scheduled for release early June.
    It may seem like a minor patch (what, with the “b” and all), but you can expect some serious volume! There’s a “c” planned as the final part of the 1.22 series, and we’re also working on content for Patch 1.23.
    I’ll have info on these patches, as well as more 2.0 goodness coming in future letters!

Tune in next time for more on the third Players’ Poll results.
    See you soon!

edit: The changes to the roadmap can be seen here: http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/dow...Roadmap_EN.pdf. If I am guessing right, it looks like Version 2.0 is scheduled to launch on the 2 year anniversary of 14. Makes sense XD

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

The devs, Visual Works, Sound, PR—everyone did their part and the trailer itself was completed and ready for release at E3. But during our most recent global PR planning meeting, we came to the conclusion that the most effective way to introduce version 2.0 to the world would be with a flood of new material rather than just a trickle.
    So it's done, but they want it to be part of a bigger release of information down the road. Interesting...

[Edit - the roadmap puts this in August]

The enjoyment of our players is extremely important to us, and once 2.0 begins, we’ll be merging the current version and version 2.0 dev teams into one consolidated powerhouse that will continue bringing you as much new content as we can in the shortest span of time possible!
    Sounds great on paper, lets hope it works out that way.

We’ve been holding off on main scenario additions until version 2.0
    Without trying to read too much into it, that does make it seem like they don't plan to scrap the existing main scenario (although maybe it will still get some revisions). Personally I'd been hoping they'll use this as their "clean slate" and a chance to come up with something more engaging.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The changes are better reflected here: http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/dow...Roadmap_EN.pdf

That's a little sad. I think most people were actually expecting to see more than just a cinematic trailer come E3, while it seems we're getting even less ;<

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    I think most people were actually expecting to see more than just a cinematic trailer come E3, while it seems we're getting even less ;<
    They must have forgotten this is SE we're talking about.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
    Without trying to read too much into it, that does make it seem like they don't plan to scrap the existing main scenario (although maybe it will still get some revisions). Personally I'd been hoping they'll use this as their "clean slate" and a chance to come up with something more engaging.
    I'm fairly sure Yoshida made a post a while back saying they were going to finish off the existing storyline being as a lot of it was already finished in terms of CS (Like the ones we saw for titan in the original game trailers), and the entire script is finished. I imagine they didn't release it last year because of the tsunami/earthquake etc, and it's just been put on the backburner since. I could see them releasing the whole story at the start of 2.0 and then having the whole Ishgard story start off from there (Yoshida also said that 2.0 would bring a new scenario regarding the dragons/bahamut I think?)

I expect there'll be some information at E3 to try and generate some interest in people who haven't really seen it before, but it seems odd for them to not use the opportunity of an event where the whole gaming world is watching to make all these big announcements about the game. I'm still expecting big things from SE this E3 considering one of their spokespeople said that E3 2011 was 'humiliating' for them because of how light they were on new content. I'll be happy enough if they show off some XIII-3, Versus, KH3 or whatever.

Edit: I forgot how lame this round of questions were, none of these really reveal anything helpful other than perhaps indications of playerbase priorities resting in scenarios and battle content which I'm pretty happy with. Oddly, the thing I'm actually looking forward to the most in 2.0 is all the extra side-content that seems to be coming like the player housing communities, group crafting, public companies (or whatever they were called) etc.

Road Tinnies
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

No trailer is just crazy... Something at least to wet peoples appetite. Really think this is a mistake in trying to bring people back to FFXIV. Lets be honest the only people that will more than likely be interested in the new website are us who are currently playing, old players who are waiting for 2.0 and maybe a handful of those that felt the game was complete shit for the last 2 years. The general public arent going to give a shit after E3. The game really needed an event like E3 to give the new 2.0 version some exposure.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    The changes are better reflected here: http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/dow...Roadmap_EN.pdf

That's a little sad. I think most people were actually expecting to see more than just a cinematic trailer come E3, while it seems we're getting even less ;<
    Doh, I put the wrong link. Ty and fixed.

According to the letter, though, the actual game will be sown off at E3 rather than just a trailer. That's a little more important IMHO

Road Tinnies
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Toth View Post

According to the letter, though, the actual game will be sown off at E3 rather than just a trailer. That's a little more important IMHO
    Hmmm must have missed that bit. Hopefully it is new gameplay at least but i have a feeling it will be the game as it is now with all the changes since last year etc?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nama Kemono
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

So gameplay trailer? Guess I miss read that cuz I took it as no trailer at all. Guess that makes sense then he is gonna be there and I doubt he goto LA just to talk about all this cool stuff he would have to show in 2 months.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I think if they even make reference of anything to do with 1.- they're going to lose people's interest. They've made huge strides but they need to emphasise how different the game is, not that it's anything like the previous one imo.

And yeah I agree with Nama, it would be pretty ridiculous to go all the way to E3 for the sake of it.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

The current one or 2.0? Cause I feel it would be a mistake to show the current version at E3...

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

That's it for the player poll? What about the other bits like our thoughts on the combo system, what class we want to see next, etc. etc.?

Not too bad of a letter, though still not really selling me on returning for 2.0.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    That's it for the player poll? What about the other bits like our thoughts on the combo system, what class we want to see next, etc. etc.?

My next letter is already written up, and will be released sometime early next week.
    Tune in next time for more on the third Players’ Poll results.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Oh derp, thanks.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze View Post
    The current one or 2.0? Cause I feel it would be a mistake to show the current version at E3...
    I meant Version 2.0.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It's obvious that they're going to show off version 2.0 at E3.
    He's personally going to E3 and most likely will make an appearance at Sony's conference. The best way to do this is to show both the current game and the new version so that everyone can see the improvements. This is much better than a simple CG trailer imo.

I don't even know why I bother keeping my hopes up anymore. 2.0 might be great, but the game will still die without effective marketing.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Just showing another CGI trailer at E3 would have accomplished nothing save for wetting the lips of those already playing the game. Trailers don't sell boxed or digital copies, and we already had a sweet trailer for the main game, and look how that turned out. Many of the concept in the trailer never even made it into the game, like the ability to truly combine abiliites with other players.

This is the best decision Yoshi could have come up with; keep your cards close to you until you're sure you have a winning hand.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Quote Originally Posted by blythe View Post
    I don't even know why I bother keeping my hopes up anymore. 2.0 might be great, but the game will still die without effective marketing.
    Showing a CGI trailer is not effective marketing, so nothing was lost anyway.

Where does it say that? I didn't get that impression at all. It only says they'll make some website with 2.0 info after E3 that no one except current players will go to.

My guess is, likely they'll show a few clips of jobs and other 1.X crap as if anyone's going to care. Yes, the game has come a long way, but the vast majority of gamers still regard it as a massive failure. The improvements, while significant and needed, will not be able to make a splash at that kind of a convention. The "2.0" re-branding as a "new" game is something they should be taking advantage of, now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast