FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

If Nintendo releases the Wii U at $500 USD, I'll honestly boil my shoes and eat them, because they'll have sunk their little ship before it even left port. Shit, I don't even care about the system that much, but I don't think even Nintendo is crazy enough to drop a system that's not that much more powerful than the triple and 360 for $200 more than the PS3's highest price point.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

At $250~$300 I'm considering getting it at launch. At $500 I won't consider picking it up at all.

We wear wine red on Wednesdays

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by TacoTaru View Post
    At $250~$300 I'm considering getting it at launch. At $500 I won't consider picking it up at all.
    Part of the Wii's charm/success with casual gamers and families is that its price tag wasn't a god damned 2nd mortgage like release PS3 was. I can just see the discussion between kids and their parents trying to justify a release PS3 for 600 dollars vs the Wii for 250.

"Well, what else does the PS3 do?"
    "Duh, it plays Blue Rays!"
    "Dafuq is a blue ray?"

And so kids got Wii. I just can't see Nintendo pricing it at 500 for that reason. 250 will sell like crazy, so will 300 I'd guess. But 500? I bet Nintendo would make more money selling for less in the long run.

That said, I'll probably pick it up either way. Fuck.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I'm convinced that Nintendo's consistently and significantly lower price point (combined with even lower manufacturing costs) is the driving factor of why they haven't gone under in the face of the recent "console wars."

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    I'm convinced that Nintendo's consistently and significantly lower price point (combined with even lower manufacturing costs) is the driving factor of why they haven't gone under in the face of the recent "console wars."
    Yeah, and im sure having a stable of great first party games is a factor in that as well.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Jornna View Post
    Yeah, and im sure having a stable of great first party games is a factor in that as well.
    Exactly, hard to top those two considerations. The console would certainly suffer without one or the other. Thankfully I don't see Mario going anywhere anytime soon. :D

BG Level

I know people complain that its just the same formula over and over again for these games, but I always find my self enjoying them. Hell, I still go back and play Mario 1-3 etc as well as a lot of other games.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

The same formula works. Sometimes we as gamers and fans of a series just want more of the same, with little additions and newer themes, new abilities etc. Look what happened to Sonic when they kept changing the formula. Mario's progression from 2D to 3D and back again has been, IMO, flawless. They're just always so much fun to play.

BG Level

I can't remember a Mario game I didn't like (not counting educational games)

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    Nintendo has a record of always releasing a relatively low cost console, and doing so at a price where they still make a profit on the console sale. They never launch a console at a loss. However, they also don't use bleeding edge technology, their policy is to use older technology in innovative ways. That gives them a lower manufacturing cost, and a competitive price, though a weaker system.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    Wasn't the gamecube them trying to be cutting edge, and didn't they sell it at a loss? or was the loss later after they dropped the price? idk.
    iirc the only console/handheld that Nintendo has ever sold at a loss was the 3DS after the price slash.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    That "leak" is based on some German site that put up a placeholder price and date for the unit, it's hardly official.

Besides, unless memory is failing me, while they didn't give an exact price for it, Iwata or one of them mentioned Nintendo aiming for somewhere around the neighborhood of $250-300 in terms of yen at or shortly before E3, so I'm going to be surprised if it's anywhere above 200-250 in the states.
    2-3 years ago, the dollar was worth 30% more than it is now in yen. Anything under $300 is delusional if it includes a tablet.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    Wasn't the gamecube them trying to be cutting edge, and didn't they sell it at a loss? or was the loss later after they dropped the price? idk.
    System did pretty well for its time. Some of its major selling flops in NA especially are below.

GBA Player Adapter

GBA Link cables + Over produced GB units the first year in anticipation more games would support it.

Wavebird, many came from the factory defective. From my understanding Nintendo took a huge loss due to store returns/warranty replacements. The 2nd gen ones resolved their launch releases but by then the GC was losing momentum.
    http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/imag...1/wavebird.jpg

BB Adapter, very few people purchased this. If they did they had access to high-speed internet and only played the very small handful of worthwhile games (PSO/etc.)
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

DK Drums (Sold Separately from the game pack combo). These sold horribly, I remember the Gamestop I managed at in NJ. We were literally trying to give these away for free. I ended up taking 4 home since no one wanted them when we cleaned stock.
    http://www.toysnjoys.com/access_cube...ontrollers.jpg

GC Digital-Out Component cables from my knowledge were only sold online and for a limited time. When they came out I luckily had an HDTV (1080i lol) so I bought two on an impulse buy. One for the upstairs TV and the other for my computer monitor at the time. I didn't realize till years later how damn expensive the official ones ended up being since they stopped production.
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Official Sammy Keyboard. (Only was incredibly useful for one game, PSO to my knowledge unless I'm forgetting someone else). After the chinese started making keyboard adapters. I don't ever recall anyone buying these. ($50.00+ dollars for a mod you can do in your basement)
    http://www.ncsxshop.com/images/produ...board_shop.jpg

GC was a weird system. It did decent/good in terms of sale goals. But as for its accessories department. Nintendo took a huge loss on lost potential (or equipment like the BB adapter which was just severely under-utilized) for its time.

[IGN images removed]

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Cube was a good system with a lot of good games. Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader is still one of my favorite all-time games from that era. That game put it all together.

The system needed a Sequel/Prequel to Ogre Battle 64 on it, though.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

I wanted the GBA player adapter soooooo fucking bad, but I could NEVER find one in stores.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Pikarya View Post

Official Sammy Keyboard. (Only was incredibly useful for one game, PSO to my knowledge unless I'm forgetting someone else). After the chinese started making keyboard adapters. I don't ever recall anyone buying these. ($50.00+ dollars for a mod you can do in your basement)
    http://www.ncsxshop.com/images/produ...board_shop.jpg
    I don't think I ever saw one of these, but is that seriously a full size keyboard with Gamecube buttons on either side? I can't even imagine using that.

I love that the keyboard still has it's handles...

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Now that you've pointed them out.. I kinda want one of those keyboards >.>;

The incorporation of the GBA into the GC was just awful.. To take advantage of any of those games, you needed four people with GBAs, and then 4 link cables?? That said, I still have my original Wavebird from the original release -- still use it with the Wii. After all these years (and a ton of moving while in college), one of the buttons sticks a little, but beyond that, works great. That adapter reminds me though.. did the N64 have a Gameboy adapter, or am I imagining that?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Wavebird was awesome. Friend had the GBA attachment that I wanted badly, but I never got around to picking it up. The original Crystal Chronicles with the GBA attachments is still one of the best Final Fantasy experiences I've ever had and why they've failed to simply port that game to a DS/3DS blows my mind.