+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Heart of the Swarm     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Cause the pro-scene is working out so well for them at the moment right? Ugh. Serious annoyance. I played the original and brood war for the campaigns with the multiplayer being a fun thing to do every once in a while with the custom games, I expected the same from SC2 because I absolutely love the universe, lore and characters. WoL did a pretty damn good job of delivering that and I've been thirsting for more ever since I beat it a long long time ago, even replaying the campaign several times.

I guess as long as they pack more punch into each of the missions then I guess it'll be ok but I swear to god if they half-ass my time with Kerrigan... I will cut a bitch.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Pikarya View Post
    Blizzard confirmed a long time ago every expansion in the future would be shorter, and shorter. You can blame the players for that. They see it as a waste of resources to focus on the campaign when 90% of pro accounts haven't even did the first mission.
    Well part of that is because none of them play for that experience, they are in it for competition and the campaign is totally irrelevant for that. And for them the goal is getting the game competitively ready so they can make their livelihoods and so that their viewers will be entertained and keep the scene afloat.

The other part of it is that Blizzard's integrated Battle.net account system makes it so that every time a pro changes teams, or needs to play on a different server, he needs an entirely new account. And yes that's the case even when they contact Blizzard for support or when management does. HuK had to get special exception to use his old Liquid account while streaming as EG specifically because it's already Korean Grandmaster and lets him get better practice. So maybe some of them did the campaign for fun previously but that's 7 accounts ago.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

>_> Kinda shocked Blizzard hasn't come up with a one-time fee system for people who want to setup pro-league management system where when you are invited to a group/clan/whatever the fuck they call them these days. That you are given the option at the menu hub at the top right hand corner of the screen where your name is that there would be a drop down menu where you could select groups/clans you were in and when you que up for a game and you're at the loading screen that it would display your group/clans icon probably 16x16 or 32x32, the groups name and then your accounts alias.

So in HuK's situation [EGLogo]EGHuK. Bam! You don't have to purchase another copy of Starcraft 2 unless you want to play in a different region and you can swap back to your old team if they still enjoy that you're hanging around if you want to flag for them so [TeamLiquidLogo]LiQuid'HuK. I don't think it would be that hard personally in practice >_> but I also know that it would take away from their income of people needing to purchase 3+ accounts(one for each region) assuming they don't group|clan hop/get kicked/group|clan disbands.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Re: Heart of the Swarm

Why would they do that when they mke so much more money this way. Any ways, they have a new clan system, so I'm sure the players are going to soon ditch the team name in their user name and use aa clan tag for their team.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Looks like an NDA expired at midnight.

Team Liquid has expanded their preview to include new looks at stuff like Training mode and how you'll upgrade Kerrigan's abilities as the campaign progresses.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I can fap to this easily.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

As much as I'd like to watch that video, I think I'll save viewing it til the game comes out. It will just make me want it more right now.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

My dick is so hard after reading that stuff about the campaign. I will forgive them for less missions than WoL if all of that stuff is as good as it sounds.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Trailer off Team Liquid's site:

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I can't help but feel that Kerrigan looks like Stephano.. With Boobs..

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zimt Zucker
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Kuishen View Post
    I will forgive them for less missions than WoL if all of that stuff is as good as it sounds.
    Not for a $40 expansion/dlc. I'll wait for the inevitable 50% off sale, esp. considering it has fewer missions, since WoL wasn't that long itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Clash Perez View Post
    Not for a $40 expansion/dlc. I'll wait for the inevitable 50% off sale, esp. considering it has fewer missions, since WoL wasn't that long itself.
    Heart of Swarm is going to have less missions then WoL?...really? ugh.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Heart of Swarm is going to have less missions then WoL?...really? ugh.
    You can blame anyone that didn't do a single mission on their accounts. They said after polling data on how many players actually touched the story line, they decided to cut back mission content since it was a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikarya View Post
    You can blame anyone that didn't do a single mission on their accounts. They said after polling data on how many players actually touched the story line, they decided to cut back mission content since it was a waste of resources.
    Fucking Blizzard....Though honestly not surprised by most of the playerbase anymore. I mean yeah the multiplayer is fun as hell in these games but I only play them for story nowadays.

LazyShell
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Fucking Blizzard....Though honestly not surprised by most of the playerbase anymore. I mean yeah the multiplayer is fun as hell in these games but I only play them for story nowadays.
    Kind of ironic, considering WoL's weakest aspect by far was it's story. It seemed horribly childish and simple in dialogue and plot, and poorly paced and planned out in actual execution. Each of the main characters just spilled out a plethora of interchangeable one-liners taken from their entirely one-dimensional character, in an effort to stitch together a hopelessly cliched plot with a depressingly "happy" ending free from all of the depth the SC + BW storyline had managed to set it up with. And even in telling that story, the game managed to get sidetracked constantly with these little optional questlines to save or kill these interchangable and ultimately pointless characters that had no discernible impact on anything beyond their own missions (hello, Dr. Hanson).

I think that's probably a lot of the reason people felt the first game felt kind of short for it's price as well. It being Terran only wasn't as big deal as people made it out to be imo, as it still managed to have about the same raw amount of missions as the original (and most were much more polished gameplay-wise than SC+BW). Yet still the game felt rushed because they wasted so much of that space on what were essentially a series of UMS minigames and tech demos with no plot progression whatsoever.

I've seen some hints that Blizzard might be improving on these complaints in HotS, but there's no way to know for sure until it's released. If they do pull it off, they could theoretically tell a more engrossing and entertaining story in half the missions and I'd be all the happier with the result. I'm not particularly hopeful, though.

The game is still a day one purchase for me, but then again, I'm not into the series for it's story. There is a hell of a lot more to Starcraft than it's campaign, afterall. Multiplayer alone would really be worth it, not even taking into account UMS maps and challenges, and yes, campaign. But for anyone who is in that single-player-only camp, I can definitely understand if that $40 starts to look a little steep for an expansion, based on what we saw in WoL.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Yeah multiplayer is fantastic, pretty much has something for everybody. New game means that custom maps will actually have people playing them for another year or two.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by geno View Post
    Kind of ironic, considering WoL's weakest aspect by far was it's story. It seemed horribly childish and simple in dialogue and plot, and poorly paced and planned out in actual execution. Each of the main characters just spilled out a plethora of interchangeable one-liners taken from their entirely one-dimensional character, in an effort to stitch together a hopelessly cliched plot with a depressingly "happy" ending free from all of the depth the SC + BW storyline had managed to set it up with. And even in telling that story, the game managed to get sidetracked constantly with these little optional questlines to save or kill these interchangable and ultimately pointless characters that had no discernible impact on anything beyond their own missions (hello, Dr. Hanson).
    I didn't enjoy most of the side plots as well, albeit I did like the Spectre one more than the others, however I think everyone from the original is sort of invested in these characters now. It's just like what keeps people reading Bleach, even if the quality declines we are invested in the conclusion of the story. I just really want to know who finally gets to off Arcturus basically, and if the Protoss ever retake Auir, etc.

And I didn't like the direction they took by introducing a Raynor and Kerrigan love story, but ignoring that incongruity, I think it ultimately was successful in allowing them to create a dramatic storyline that centered completely on Raynor. Someone you loved is now a monster, but underneath there's still something there you still want desperately to save. So you lash out at the other monster who made her what she is now.

LazyShell
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    I didn't enjoy most of the side plots as well, albeit I did like the Spectre one more than the others, however I think everyone from the original is sort of invested in these characters now. It's just like what keeps people reading Bleach, even if the quality declines we are invested in the conclusion of the story. I just really want to know who finally gets to off Arcturus basically, and if the Protoss ever retake Auir, etc.

And I didn't like the direction they took by introducing a Raynor and Kerrigan love story, but ignoring that incongruity, I think it ultimately was successful in allowing them to create a dramatic storyline that centered completely on Raynor. Someone you loved is now a monster, but underneath there's still something there you still want desperately to save. So you lash out at the other monster who made her what she is now.
    Its just that, like you said, it felt so incongruous to the story of the first game. Even if they manage to convince me that the decisions in WoL really did fit the characters they made up (which it didn't), it's still such a massive let down in terms of the maturity and depth. Brood War ended with the villain winning the final battle, killing off several major characters, another character committing suicide, and the main protagonist vowing to kill her with a kind of quiet and confident certainty that made it seem almost psychotic. Not to mention, the hidden mission and constant undertones of something much bigger and even more dangerous going down with a Xel'naga and hybrid plotline with Duran in the background.

Almost all of that was ignored and thrown to the side for WoL to instead focus on a tenuous-at-best possible love interest b/w Raynor and Kerrigan, a cartoonishly evil Mengsk (oh god watching him flail in that press room was downright painful), and a series of meaningless forays into one-off forcibly irrelevant side-plots. Because they wanted to offer you the choice of killing/saving characters, they painted themselves into a corner and made all those missions relatively meaningless so that those choices wouldn't really affect the main plot. Kind of apt for you to mention Bleach, because as a result, the majority of game felt very much like filler material.

edit: Just as a note, these are story/dialogue only complaints. In terms of actual gameplay, many of the choice missions worked out very well. I enjoyed both iterations of the Tosh plotline quite a bit in the way they worked and how they affected your unit choices moving on. Much of that type of gameplay was very interesting/fun. I just wish it didn't come at the cost of the main story arc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast