+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Huh? Dishonored is made so that you can tackle the game whatever way you please. You can be stealthy if you want to be, so I don't really get this comment?
    I'm saying the stealth aspects of Dishonored were extremely lacking.

-Half of your powers aren't conducive to being stealthy
    -Game was made specifically to be more fun while not being stealthy
    -There was no way to gauge how hidden you actually were (I'm not saying they needed an actual gauge like in Thief, but even some difference in the depth of shadows would have helped)
    -If you wanted to play stealthily then x-ray vision was required
    -They advertised a stealth-oriented game and gave us something similar to Bioshock with some very light stealth elements

Compared to the original Thief games, Deus Ex: HR, older Splinter Cell Games, older Hitman games, Dishonored was nowhere near being a stealth game.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

-Yeah half of your powers weren't for being stealthy, because like I said you could play it either way.
    -I thought it was neat that what powers you got depended on how you played. I don't the game was any less fun for not being stealthy.
    -There was a gauge with guards for if they could see you or how close they were to finding you.
    -I don't think X-ray vision was required at all. It just made life easier.
    -It wasn't a super stealthy game for sure, but I wouldn't call it light stealth elements.

And actually when I got the game I was like "Awesome, this is just like Deus Ex HR" so I have no idea how you are missing the stealth aspect of this game. The improvement over Deus Ex for me was that you didn't get penalized for killing people. The game was about giving you choice of doing things either way. Just because you don't find one approach to be fun doesn't mean it wasn't there. I had fun with it.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

not sure if theres any more atm I asume its from gameinformer or something

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    -Yeah half of your powers weren't for being stealthy, because like I said you could play it either way.
    -I thought it was neat that what powers you got depended on how you played. I don't the game was any less fun for not being stealthy.
    -There was a gauge with guards for if they could see you or how close they were to finding you.
    -I don't think X-ray vision was required at all. It just made life easier.
    -It wasn't a super stealthy game for sure, but I wouldn't call it light stealth elements.

And actually when I got the game I was like "Awesome, this is just like Deus Ex HR" so I have no idea how you are missing the stealth aspect of this game. The improvement over Deus Ex for me was that you didn't get penalized for killing people. The game was about giving you choice of doing things either way. Just because you don't find one approach to be fun doesn't mean it wasn't there. I had fun with it.
    -Ok but as I said, game was marketed as a Stealth game, majority of powers should have been oriented towards that, like in Deus Ex: HR, with a few powers sprinkled in towards causing chaos.
    -I'm not saying the game wasn't fun, I'm saying it wasn't a stealth game.
    -That function was useless if you were within 10 feet of said guard. They instantly spotted you even if you were in a shadowed corner but just BARELY in their line of sight. Determining how hidden you were was completely unintuitive.
    -Did you try to play a stealth only run-through without X-ray vision? Cause I did. The only way to do it was constant quick-saving and quick-loading. That is not good game design.
    -They introduced elements in the tutorial level like blowing out candles to make the room darker, and then those NEVER showed up in the rest of the game, nor would they have made a difference because the lighting/shadows in the game gave you no indication of how hidden you. Compared to how the shadows in Thief and Splinter Cell worked, the shadows in Dishonored may as well have not even existed.

The game is nothing like Deus Ex: HR so I have no idea what you're talking about. The game DOES penalize you for killing people, more rats and higher security.

Here's the thing, when I play a stealth game, I expect to feel like I accomplished something when I make it through a level thick with enemies and security systems. Dishonored gave you no such sense of reward because you either had to be quick-saving and quick-loading constantly or you had to become a superhuman with x-ray vision.

Deus Ex never once required X-ray vision, you still felt very accomplished after you beat a level without being detected and while the game penalized you for less xp by killing people it wasn't so severe that you felt the need to play one way or the other. Dishonored way overcompensated for that penalization by making it completely one-sided no matter what path you chose. You're either a superhuman god with all these cool powers to kill people with, or you're a superhuman god with x-ray vision to sneak by everybody. There's no middle ground.

I'm not saying the game wasn't fun, but it certainly isn't what was advertised nor did anything it did qualify it to be a stealth-oriented game.

The only thing Dishonored can be compared to Deus Ex: HR for is the level design, they did a good job of creating multiple paths through the level but I still think that Deus Ex did even that better.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

The first-person stealth game sees the return of series hero Garrett, who is designed by the game’s director Nicolas Cantin. Eidos Montreal is being vague about how faithful to the Thief lore the new game will remain, and is toning down many of the series’ magical elements.

Gameplay Demo

Game Informer was shown a lengthy gameplay demo of Thief.

The sequence opens with series hero Garrett returning to his hometown after a long absence, only to find a “city of melting prosperity,” according to the mag. The iron-fisted Baron now controls the city, and crushes its citizens through militarized watch. Only the elite are awarded with good fortune.

Garrett, motivated by the thrill of stealing something that others can’t, does not care for heroism. He sees the oppressive ruling as an opportunity to make money. He finds his way into the Stonemarket district in the back of a covered wagon, and watches the bodies of plague victims pile up in the street corners. Guards, meanwhile, are settling small civil disputes with force. And wealthy men stroll by with their own guards.

Two guards are speaking about a wealthy man named Theodore Eastwick, a principle architect, who was commissioned by Baron to build many of the city’s Gothic structures. According to the guards, Eastwick is at the House of Blossoms, an underground pleasure house on the other side of the city built to serve the elite.

At midnight, the gates to the house close, and Garrett makes his way in. He crouches behind crates, and a dark tint on the screen highlights his safety. He throws a bottle to distract the guards, and then climbs up a pipe on the side of the building. He moves across the roofs, bounds over merchant tables and under wagons, and dives through a nearby building window. Meanwhile, Eastwick is seen passing through the secret entrance to the House of Blossoms.

Garrett moves forward and enters the pleasure house undetected. The area is rich with patrons and scantily clad women who saunter by and flirt with men. Xiao Xiao, a transvestite, is seen greeting guests. Eastwick moves forward and Garrett loses him in the crowd. Xiao Xiao, meanwhile, notes that there is more security than usual, and says that anyone with anything of value can store it in his office strongbox. Garrett, being a thief, wants to get his hands on whatever’s inside.

Using Xiao Xiao’s logbook, Garrett can determine where Eastwick has gone. In this case: which bedroom Eastwick’s entered. But first, the strongbox, which Garrett can open via a lock-picking mini-game. But before he’s able to unlock it, Xiao Xiao enters the office. Garrett quickly rolls into a darkened corner and away from sight, leaving Xiao Xiao clueless to the attempted theft.

Xiao Xiao leaves, and Garrett opens the strongbox to find a jewel-encrusted heirloom. Garrett can’t quite leave yet, as Xiao Xiao is just outside the room, talking to one of his girls. But a hidden passageway grants Garrett his leave.

Using the pleasure house’s network of back doors, Garrett is eventually able to find Eastwick’s room. He enters and steals a medallion, and then uses his Focus ability, showing him a mysterious blue energy-glowing symbol written on the wall, which corresponds to one of the runes written on the medallion. Garrett turns a band of the medallion to line up with the rune with an arrow, causing the medallion to glow with a similar blue energy. Four adjacent rooms show four more symbols that line up. After the last symbol is locked, the medallion spins. Eastwick soon notices he’s been robbed and calls for help. And Xiao Xiao orders his guards to search everywhere.

The guards are searching as Garrett heads to one of the pleasure house’s back rooms. Earlier, he heard two service girls talking about the tragedy that followed after the ventilation system was accidentally overflowed with opium. With that in mind, he dumps the house’s stock of opium into the vents, sending everyone throughout the House of Blossoms into a deep sleep. Garrett, meanwhile, needs to keep his breath held and move quick.

But guards soon circle Garrett, who retreats into the opium fog and uses his bow to fire an arrow at a statue hanging above a door frame. The statue falls and crushes two guards, but another pins Garrett to the wall. Garrett then enters Focus mode, grabs the guard’s arm, jerks it behind his shoulder, and sends the guard crashing to the floor. When he’s finally free, Garrett grapples onto a nearby vent and heads down into the city sewers.

Artificial Intelligence

Garrett isn’t a fighter, so fighting against four or more guards in hand-to-hand combat won’t fair well for him. Guards and non-player characters are aware of a level’s design, and know where one might try to hide. Guards also understand the topography of the level and which areas could prove useful for hiding. Different NPCs will look for Garrett in different ways.

Mechanics

A navigation beacon will tell players where to go, but the development team wants players to explore environments as they see fit. There are multiple entrances and exits for each room, and multiple options available for a stealth approach.

The Focus mechanic mentioned earlier has many uses, such as highlighting interactive objects like climbable pipes or candles. Garret can also pickpocket enemies, and use Focus mode to slow down time and swipe up to three times as many items. Or, he can use Focus mode to show a number of attack areas on enemies, and select a point, such as the chest, to do a quick push and buy him more time to dash into the shadows. These points can be strung together to perform a more debilitating attack, too.

A Fingerprints system will give players hints on which drawers are best to look in. Every drawer can be accessed.

At the end of each mission, Garrett can spend money to upgrade his equipment. Throughout the game’s levels, various artifacts, which can be used to decorate Garrett’s hideout, are spread out for players to find.

Tools

Thief has various tools Garret can access:

● Blackjack: Can be used when sneaking up behind guards to knock them out.

● Bow: A powerful weapon that can also be used outside of combat. For example, fire an arrow at a bottle in another room to lure away a guard.

● Claw: Can be used to grapple certain points.

● Specialty Arrows: Each has a different use. A dry-ice arrow can be used to snuff flames from far away. A smoke-starter arrow can create a distraction.
    http://gematsu.com/2013/03/next-gen-...-game-informer

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I'm just gonna drop it Kuishen because it's clear to me we experienced Dishonored very differently.

I've never played a Thief game before but I'm looking forward to this one.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

O jogo, que está em desenvolvimento na Eidos Montreal, sairá para PC, PlayStation 4 e outras plataformas da próxima geração.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Confirmed for Xbox One
    Square Enix has confirmed Thief, previously announced for PlayStation 4 and PC, for Xbox One.

“The team at Eidos-Montreal is thrilled to confirm that Thief is coming to Xbox One. The next generation of home consoles allow us to create the best and the most immersive THIEF game ever. The feedback we have received so far is simply amazing and we can’t wait to show more of Thief at E3 this year” said Eidos Montreal general manager Stephane D’Astous .
    http://gematsu.com/2013/05/thief-confirmed-for-xbox-one

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Oh god. Why...

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

turrible

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

What the fuck...

Eidos Montreal this is for you:
    http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbzxt23X8c1r3zat8.jpg

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2013/06/...-xbox-360.html
    Thief Generations

Since Thief’s announcement for a 2014 release on high end PC and next-gen platforms, we’ve received a huge number of questions from community members wondering if the Thief experience would ever be available for their current generation consoles. With full details of the new platforms still emerging, it’s understandable that some of our fans are cautious to plunge feet first into the awesomely hot but unchartered waters of the next generation.

So I sat down with Stéphane Roy, Senior Producer on Eidos-Montréal’s Thief, in this special announcement edition of EM Community to share some huge news with all of you so far who’ve been wondering if the game will make its way to your PS3 or Xbox 360. Check out what he had to say here.

Yep, it’s official! Thief is now confirmed for PS3 and Xbox 360 – in addition to PC, PS4 and Xbox One! And, as importantly, the game will ship for ALL platforms simultaneously.

While the visual quality that PCs and next-generation consoles are capable of is obviously impressive, it’s important to know that Thief’s core gameplay experience will be the same across all platforms. The development team wanted to take special care to ensure their vision for the game was achievable on the current generation of machines, so it’s especially exciting to be able to finally announce to our fans around the world that they are able to achieve this goal.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Smart move, considering this next generation is predicted to have the slowest adoption rate in recent history.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Thief Teturns From The Shadows February 2014

Square Enix and Eidos-Montréal, the award winning studio behind the critically acclaimed Deus Ex: Human Revolution today announced that Thief will be released for Windows PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One on 25th February 2014 in North America and 28th February 2014 in Europe and PAL territories.

“This city will not die with the old and the poor holding it back.
    The time has come for a new future”

- Baron Northcrest

“No more will our homes be taken and our families starved.
    This City belongs to the people. We must seize it back.”

- Orion

Garrett the Master Thief is entangled in the growing layers of conflict between Baron Northcrest and the oppressed masses led by Orion, the voice of the people. In a City on the brink of revolution, Garrett’s skills are all he can trust as he walks the fine line between politics and the people.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries