+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

*groans*

I'm sure this will be a great game for people who have never played a Thief game, but it looks mostly terribad from the perspective of a long-time fan of the series.

Does anybody else miss when games had color? The entire game looks washed out and on top of that the things you can steal practically glow because they magically retain their color (and also actually do glow anyways).

Focus mode just looks terrible and almost entirely pointless because of the above. Really? It highlights ladders? HOW WOULD I HAVE EVER KNOWN THAT I COULD CLIMB UP A GODDAMN LADDER?

Quick cover switching also kind of kills any suspense when trying to avoid detection.

Combat is irrelevant because it's not an Assassin's Creed game, like it should actually be impossible to go through a level killing people, you're not an assassin, you're a thief (they aren't the same thing, interestingly enough). You could only get away with it in the first two Thief games because the AI was terrible and even then it was essentially luck based if you got into melee combat. Player choice in terms of how they want to play the game is only a good thing if it makes sense within the confines of the game. People are playing the wrong game if they want to go around shanking bitches.

The shadow/lighting engine looks about as good as Dishonored's (non-existent). How have they taken so many steps backwards in arguably the most important aspect of a stealth game? Thief: Deadly Shadows and Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow's lighting engines are some of the best lighting engines ever created and those existed 2 goddamn console generations ago. I can't actually think of any games that have done that aspect better.

It saddens me that this will (probably) sell so well because it encourages laziness in game development (like so many other modern examples in gaming).

"Why put in the effort make a truly spectacular game when we can make boatloads of money making a mediocre one?"

It looks incredibly generic because of the attempt to reach a broader audience and I'm sure it'll do fine because of that, but it's not the game the series deserves or the fans of the series wanted. (Based on the info we have anyways.)

EDIT: Yeah. I'm mayad.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

One of those people who've never played previous games checking in. Looks good to me lol.

And I disagree with you about the choice thing. Restrictions are only good if they aren't too limiting. Why can't I be a dick thief who also kills people?. Crying MUH IMMERSION is silly because gaming is what you make of it and if you want to play the game by going down a certain path, feel free to do so. But if it allows multiple choices in that sense, then it's a good thing.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    One of those people who've never played previous games checking in. Looks good to me lol.

And I disagree with you about the choice thing. Restrictions are only good if they aren't too limiting. Why can't I be a dick thief who also kills people?. Crying MUH IMMERSION is silly because gaming is what you make of it and if you want to play the game by going down a certain path, feel free to do so. But if it allows multiple choices in that sense, then it's a good thing.
    I'm saying you should be able to have that choice, but it should be incredibly difficult and have palpable consequences since the character isn't some skilled assassin, he's a goddamn thief and all of his skillsets involve not being caught in the first place, not murdering entire swathes of people.

But yeah, enjoy your first person Assassin's Creed game. I don't doubt that it'll be a decent game, it just won't be a Thief game.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-and-for-worse

Making my way into a foundry, through what looked like the game's first major location, I wasn't presented with a large building that might offer multiple routes of entry depending on the tools I used, but instead I found myself first navigating through a distinct entrance area, before then moving through different parts of the interior, one after another, in a manner that felt much more guided and, at times, even dictated.

For example, at one point a climb up an outside wall had the camera switch to a third-person view, with the route I needed to take subtly highlighted in blue. It was almost impossible to fall and when I tried avoiding the window entry to which this route lead, instead trying a short drop to the ground to see if I could scuttle up a nearby alleyway, the game immediately told me I was dead. I didn't even get to see how this might have happened.
    Everybody keeps saying this is essentially going to be Dishonored but with the focus on stealing shit and I can't fathom why people are ok with that. Dishonored was a horrible stealth game. Instead of being like Deus Ex: HR where the game rewarded stealthy play and puzzle solving, it forced you to use X-Ray vision because the sound and lighting engines weren't good enough to allow you to play stealthily without it. The only thing Dishonored did right as far as stealth elements go was the level design but even that wasn't as good as previous Thief games or even Deus Ex: HR. Based on some of the reviews, like the one above, this Thief game doesn't even have that quality. A point which is only lent further credence by the fact that you can only shoot Rope Arrows at designated spots, among other things.

/sigh

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

That’s right folks; Eidos-Montréal’s Thief has gone Gold and will be in the hands of all would be Master Thieves later this month. To celebrate the news we’re releasing a brand new ‘Thief - 101 Trailer’ that details everything you need to know about Thief.

“It’s a wrap, Thief is gold. It’s nearly time for the fans to fall in love with Thief all over again, and time for newcomers to finally see what all the fuss is about” said Stephane Roy, Producer. “Thief is one of the founding-fathers of the stealth genre; we’re proud to have worked on such a well-loved series and proud to say; Garrett, the Master Thief is back.”

Thief is the second game from Eidos-Montréal whose previous title Deus Ex: Human Revolution also saw them breathing life back into a classic, critically acclaimed series. It’s not an easy challenge – but they’ve gone and done it again!

Today’s brand new ‘Thief 101 trailer’ provides key insights on the game’s story, its key characters, key gameplay and key feature set (including the fact that the game’s main character is a Master Thief who doesn’t need keys).

‘Thief - 101 Trailer’ description

In this feature trailer, you will learn everything you need to know about Thief, the upcoming stealth-action game from the studio that brought you Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Out soon on PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One, the game takes full advantage of next-gen graphics and hardware to deliver a tactile and immersive experience like nothing you’ve felt before.

You are Garrett, the Master Thief. Back from the shadows in a City brought to its knees by sickness and oppression, you’ll need to use all the skills and tools in your arsenal to find the truth... before your enemies find you. After all, you are a thief, not a saviour, and the political affairs of the City matter much less to you than the shiny possessions of its noblest citizens.

From the cover of darkness, use specialized arrows to manipulate your environment in your favour, dispatch guards without a sound with your blackjack, and outsmart all the security measures in your path. Whether you are a ruthless predator or silent as a ghost, you will do everything it takes to get your hands on the most coveted treasures the City holds

Become the Master Thief on February 28!

Thief is due for release on 28th February 2014 in all European and PAL territories for Windows PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Lockdown Playthrough
    We've shown quite a few gameplay demos in the past months, yet you clamour, you thirst for more. You just can't wait to immerse yourself in the City and you want to see pure gameplay, unedited and uncommented.

Well, I'm all about giving the people what they want, so I've asked our Marketing Coordinator Jean-Philippe Chicoine to shoot one full mission playthrough just for you. He chose the mission right after the tutorial, as it’s the first time players will be free to experiment fully with the environment and gameplay mechanics, and it offers at least four different ways to infiltrate the building so we could show you things you haven’t seen before without spoiling the plot too much. Here it is!
    http://community.eidosmontreal.com/b...on-Playthrough

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

PS4 1080p native, XBone 900p upscaled to 1080p
    Our cousins at Eurogamer have confirmed with Square Enix that once again a multiplatform release will run at a higher native resolution on the PS4 than on Xbox One, though the difference is slighter here than usual.

The PS4 version of the series reboot will have a native output resolution of 1080p while the Xbox One will come in at 900p upscaled to 1080p to match what TVs are capable of showing. Both versions of the game will run at 30 frames per second.

“You really need good eyes to see the difference,” game director Nicolas Cantin said, noting that of course the difference between old-gen and new-gen versions is more stark because aside from the resolution thing the Xbox One and PS4 versions are otherwise the same whereas the PS3 and 360 versions are lacking in some effects.
    http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/18/thie...-1080p-on-ps4/

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Echoing Kuishen's comments and reading 1 or 2 of the posts above, and being a (crap) original Thief 1 and 2 player, the entire fun of those games was that you're dumped into what is essentially a mini sandbox per level.

Aside from crude objectives based on difficulty setting (each level has a core or 2 objectives, and additional difficulty levels stacked more on top) you're free to do whatever based on the tools the game has given you. Strictly, there was no pinpointers, or hints, or anything. At places you had to dig through in-game text/clues to find out more stuff.

Even 1v1 against a guard/zombie significantly drains your resources of health, ammo, and whatnot. The eurogamer article says he managed to just club someone to death with little effort.

One mistake, and if not shut down properly, is huge. Despite the crap AI, the guard will alert other guards (or if unreachable, come back to try and rush you down).

There's also rarely music, most of it was just sounds which makes up the bulk of the atmosphere/feeling. I was told by a temporary lodger at my home that in CoD Ghosts he uses headphones because the sound is important to detect other players. It's a shame it's not utlilised here.

Though as described by that Eurogamer article, after reading it through I came to the same conclusion based on the article alone the same thought as the guy who wrote the article:

I'm not sure the new Thief is going to be a game about subtlety or one that will need such a careful ear. It feels faster and fiercer, but also smaller, something that could appeal to more action-oriented players and which isn't likely to sit comfortably with fans of the old series. That doesn't mean that it can't succeed on its own merits, but it doesn't give the impression of a game that presents the freedom of its forefathers.
    I'm unsure of the compatiblity of the demos these days but I highly recommend people download the demo that was released back in 1998 something of the first 2 games:

http://www.thief-thecircle.com/media/demos/ -- might need to dig around for a fix to get it working for modern OSes.

I had a blast back when my demo came with my monthly PC Gamer magazine; for a completely new player spending up to maybe 4 hours in the first level (demo) as you tried various things was possible. I wonder if that's even possible in this new game as it sure just seems like, based on description:

linear path > big room/area with some choice > linear path

Whether it's my nostalgia shackling me or whether I'm just too old these days I'm not sure, the line is sure blurred. Definitely not fanboy though. I'm not dismissing the game, and would probably buy it when prices hit rock bottom lol

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

there have been a couple streams from people who got it early, this one is still going on at the time of posting http://www.twitch.tv/dante666darkness
    thread from neogaf of opinions on what they've seen, mostly negative http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=772097

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Reading those comments had me chuckling. Looks like I might be wrong about it being a decent non-Thief game after all.

EDIT: Found another stream.

This looks profoundly awful.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Square Enix and Eidos-Montréal, the award winning studio behind the critically acclaimed Deus Ex: Human Revolution today released a Thief launch trailer to celebrate that Garrett, The Master Thief is almost ready to step from the shadows.

Thief is out next week, so take a sneaky peek at the launch trailer containing new sections of gameplay and glimpses at some key encounters that lie in wait for Garrett.

Thief launches on Tuesday, February 25 for Windows PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

IGN 6.8/10 - Gamespot 6/10 - Edge 7/10 - Polygon 6/10 - Eurogamer 6/10 - Kotaku No

Game Informer 8/10 - GamesTM 6/10 - Destructoid 7.5/10 - USGamer 3/5 - Play UK 7/10 - EGM 3.5/10

Rock Paper Shotgun No Score - CVG 8/10 - Joystiq 4/5 - Destructoid 7.5/10 - PC Gamer 7.9/10 - Giant Bomb 2/5

Gamereactor 7/10 - NowGamer 6.5/10 - OPM 7/10 - XONE Magazine 7/10 - GamesBeat 7/10 - GameTrailers 7.5/10

Game Revolution 3.5/5 - OXM 7/10 - Gamesided 6.5/10 - GamesRadar 3.5/5 - Digital Spy 4/5 - Lazygamer 6.9/10

Gaming Trend 85/100 - CraveOnline 6/10 - Rev3Games 3/5 - God is a Geek 7/10 - PlayStation LifeStyle 5.5/10 - BT Games 4/5

GameZone 6.5/10 - AusGamers 5.1/10 - CGMagazine 8/10 - OnlySP 7/10 - Neoseeker 9/10 - GamingBolt 6/10

Softpedia 8.5/10 - PSU 7.5/10 - Metro 5/10 - Dualshockers 8/10 - We Got This Covered 3/5 - BioGamer Girl 9/10

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I like how people keep saying it looks pretty. The color scheme is ugly as fuck. You can have a dark/edgy atmosphere without grey and sepia being the only two goddamn colors. It's amazing how perfectly mediocre this game is in every. single. facet.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

It's possible for graphics to look pretty without being colorful. That said, I haven't played it yet so I can't speak to the rest of it. Might try it later today.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Yup. Not even remotely interested at this point.

I found a torrent of it to try it out, as shit like this always makes me cautious of the actual product. While it is SOMEWHAT interesting...it's just boring as fuck and like someone said, a Dishonored ripoff more or less. It's bleak looking and lacks color and at Ultra settings looks pretty nice..but the environments and everything feel way too constricted. Each location has 1 MAYBE 2 ways into it and you're just funneled around from place to place. I'm not too far in, but it fails to hold my attention honestly, I find myself playing for 10mins and then just quitting to go watch netflix or play some Witcher2 or something...

Everything glowing is annoying (for loot items), I want to explore not just be led to every shiny item. Though at least you DO have to look around for hidden safes at the start of the game at least.

Also all the emo makeup and shit just has me rolling my eyes at the character design.

Just way too much Dishonored, and I felt Dishonored honestly did a better job...if you want a good fps stealth, Deus Ex:HR was probably the best i've played in recent years. At least I felt like I wasn't holed into fighting

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Yeah I feel like calling it a less fun version of Dishonored sums it up. The skills and tools (so far) aren't as fun to use as Dishonored. The game moves slower than Dishonored and just hasn't been as much fun yet. I only did the prologue and ch1 so far but it did not convince me to push this above other games on my backlog.