Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Callisto View Post
    if anything we as men should be offended at the notion that we're so dumb that the difference between us purchasing something or not is simply showing us a chick in a bikini, it's like the sales equivalent of the drawing a giraffe on a test thing.
    Um. Actually, it's incredibly effective in sales. Yes, most men are stupid and will buy things simply because boobs are involved. Godaddy.com is a great example.

Years back when I took over a Sam Goody (CD store...yes, many years ago) of course the first thing I had to do was turn out most of the staff since it was failing miserably. So me and the other manager hired mostly hot chicks. The exceptions were a few hot dudes. Women are absolutely no different. Most of them will buy shit they never even thought of if there's some hunk of man pitching it to her (no not like that). I mean, it was amazing to watch. We went from the bottom 1% in profitability in the company to the top 1% in about a year. Granted there were many other factors, but that was the easiest way to get a major boost in sales.

Sex sells. I think if anything the issue here is getting a bit more equality, but eliminating it from the equation is bad business. Throwing male models out there in a similar fashion would have a greater impact on female gaming sales than removing the female models I would think. Same for throwing more sex appeal in games for the ladies.

Those that want the female models removed and skimpy clothes for the chicks in games to disappear do sound jealous now that I think about it. Instead of saying "if I can't have it, you can't," why not "how about something for us both."

I know I rambled a bit and actually argued against some of my previous statements, but meh. Never thought much about it before, so it's evolving in my mind whilst I type.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

I think booth babes are certainly sexist in how they objectify women, but I think Chari is on point that both 1) them a bloo blooing about it as 'hostile' sounds overwhelmingly jalous and 2) if anything we as men should be offended at the notion that we're so dumb that the difference between us purchasing something or not is simply showing us a chick in a bikini, it's like the sales equivalent of the drawing a giraffe on a test thing.
    You seem to agree that E3 booth babes need to go so cool. But what about the allegation aimed at the IGN booth?

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

I think IGN is useless to begin with lol

blax n gunz
    BG Level

I think IGN is useless to begin with lol
    But is the incident something women need to stop getting butthurt over or is it a concern that needs addressing? Lots of people brushing the topic aside like it's nbd.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Obviously if it is true, that's no bueno.
    Sounds pretty far-fetched to me that there'd be such blatant and targeted sexism and no one did anything about it aside from mention it in this article... I wish I could hear what was actually said.

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Would anyone really be surprised this was from a Family Guy display? Family Guy. Ok ok, for those of you that have lived under a rock for the past 15 years, it's not a family show. In fact, it's loaded with vulgarity. That's the whole point of it.

Sounds like someone was just playing his part and it was exaggerated into being only sexist remarks towards women.

Really, I can't even find the words. It's Family Guy, whole fuck.

Edit: And note that it was provided by IGN, but it was a Family godamnmofrockin Guy display.

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Slightly off base from video games, but in the same vein as a once-male-dominated industry becoming more friendly to both genders:

Local sports TV channel that broadcasts the local hockey and baseball team's games had some initiative to hire more females, especially ones that appear on camera/air as broadcasters/special interest stories/play by play, etc. Well this TV channel, Root Sports, just fired some new check after only a year or so from the baseball division and local radio host Mark Madden (who is admittedly from my judgment, probably a misogynist) said on the air, "Thats ROOT Sports' true dedication to equal rights - you are to be judged equally like men would be. If you suck - if you're dry and boring on the air - you're to be fired, just like I would be if I were."

That story aside, its up to video game marketing divisions to decide the benefit of sexual-charged advertisement to men vs the amount of business it will cost them alienating some female business. Its not illegal to advertise with sexually-charged advertisements; infact its smart. Its not even illegal to make people uncomfortable, at least not in that way (they're still sufficiently covered, even if barely). If you can get the 53% of the market thats men to collectively spend 15% more money through the advertising, but lose 15% of the income you would've received from the market share thats 47% female, then you keep the booth girls because thats what is most advantageous to your business. You can be 'equal rights' by letting women prove themselves in the interview process as someone who can manage and lead a development team, as someone who has innovative ideas, and as someone capable from a technical skill standpoint at designing video games, all while being interpretively disrespectful to women by having booth girls promote your product on the customer interaction level.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gadritan View Post
    Um. Actually, it's incredibly effective in sales. Yes, most men are stupid and will buy things simply because boobs are involved. Godaddy.com is a great example.

Years back when I took over a Sam Goody (CD store...yes, many years ago) of course the first thing I had to do was turn out most of the staff since it was failing miserably. So me and the other manager hired mostly hot chicks. The exceptions were a few hot dudes. Women are absolutely no different. Most of them will buy shit they never even thought of if there's some hunk of man pitching it to her (no not like that). I mean, it was amazing to watch. We went from the bottom 1% in profitability in the company to the top 1% in about a year. Granted there were many other factors, but that was the easiest way to get a major boost in sales.

Sex sells. I think if anything the issue here is getting a bit more equality, but eliminating it from the equation is bad business. Throwing male models out there in a similar fashion would have a greater impact on female gaming sales than removing the female models I would think. Same for throwing more sex appeal in games for the ladies.

Those that want the female models removed and skimpy clothes for the chicks in games to disappear do sound jealous now that I think about it. Instead of saying "if I can't have it, you can't," why not "how about something for us both."

I know I rambled a bit and actually argued against some of my previous statements, but meh. Never thought much about it before, so it's evolving in my mind whilst I type.
    We could make things fairer by adding more booth dudes and scantily clad men in vid gaems, but if the way some straight guys reacted to male castanics in TERA is any indication, there might be some resistence.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Anyone ever watched a gaming stream when a female player sits down to play? lol

Celeste

I'd love to run around as a naked Batman in Arkham City.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Hirokei Kiaza View Post
    I really hope that shit is exclusive to the FGC, probably not but lol

The worst part is that it isn't even cringeworthy anymore because it is just expected and now you just kinda roll w/ it.
    Now that shit there would be something I'd consider female-hostile.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

I want to see the video of said events

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Well, it's more how the stream chat just pops off... you'd have to be watching the chat for a live stream or someone would have to have recorded the chat (and I don't know that anyone has those clips around)

Tekki's Bitch
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    We could make things fairer by adding more booth dudes and scantily clad men in vid gaems, but if the way some straight guys reacted to male castanics in TERA is any indication, there might be some resistence.
    I would love for this to happen, being told by my friend that she was getting paid to dress up as a mithra and do nothing all day except stand there and get pictures taken of her only left me asking "do they need any men??"

Celeste

Scantly clad men please!

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Siatdiat View Post
    More like this.

If something is fucked up and truly sexist then it should be brought up. This gamer girl anti-sexist thing however will have no Rosa Parks figureheads.

Out of curiousity what do the people who have a problem with all this think should be done about "booth babes" at E3?
    Why not just focus on the games and electronics? I don't see why you need strippers dancing around male-oriented stuff in an area where the average dude will never be able to attend. Shouldn't everyone be there for the games? Isn't the eye-candy the new graphics engines and FMVs?

I'm not against the booth babes, but do they have an actual, literal purpose, or are they simply there to look nice an and add ambiance to a male-dominated arena, much like some candles and nice drapes add to the ambiance of relaxing room?

Yeah, sex sells to a demographic, but lets be fucking real: who the fuck is buying a copy of Tactics Ogre on the PSP, simply because the female art models have more flesh exposed than dudes? Who picked up Disgaea solely because the Succubus has massive tits and shows flesh?

There's actual cases where sex sells, and then there's putting women in revealing positions and in flesh-exposing outfits simply because that's how its always been.

I always hated it when I saw the Italian car shows and shit, and they've got all of the half-naked chicks draped over the supercar. Why are they there? Get the fuck out of the way; the car is 10 times more delicious and attractive than the obligatory blonde or raven-haired slim chick that we can see anywhere. It just seemed pointless to me, and I'm one of the Fuck or Duck thread's biggest fans. Let the merits of a product stand on its own, especially if its amazing in its own right. A good enough product doesn't need bare belly from a chick to sell it, especially if the product really has nothing to do with flesh in general.

That being said, women who feel that a more attractive woman being used in that sense is "threatening" needs to get over it. If I felt shitty every time I saw a white hunk of man-meat somewhere that I know could tap at least 50% of the women around him at any time, without effort, I'd be a quivering pile of mush by now. At some point you've gotta work on what you've got and feel confident with that. Women should be focusing on the point of the point of a show like this just as much as the men should be.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hirokei Kiaza View Post
    you mean when eleven thousand dudes simultaneously out themselves as virgins?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    I'm not against the booth babes, but do the have an actual, literal purpose, or are they simply there to look nice an and add ambiance to a male-dominated arena, much like some candles and nice drapes add to the ambiance of relaxing room?
    I'm torn here because again from a sales standpoint it doesn't affect me, but aesthetically I do like looking at pretty ladies. If they had them in studio logo t-shirts instead of bikinis it'd probably more plausible to have them there just to look nice.

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

I always hated it when I saw the Italian car shows and shit, and they've got all of the half-naked chicks draped over the supercar. Why are they there? Get the fuck out of the way; the car is 10 times more delicious and attractive than the obligatory blonde or raven-haired slim chick that we can see anywhere.
    Ya know, I'm honestly far more inclined to stop and check out a game if it has a Ferrari or Bugatti on it rather than boobs.

You may be on to something here.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Why not just focus on the games and electronics? I don't see why you need strippers dancing around male-oriented stuff in an area where the average dude will never be able to attend. Shouldn't everyone be there for the games? Isn't the eye-candy the new graphics engines and FMVs?
    The games and electronics are complemented by the women they have around but from my personal opinion having a bunch of scantly-clad women who have no interest in the product or even being at the event other than being paid completely kills off any potential gains they may have had being there to me. Sometimes you can feel the awkwardness hit you in the face and it makes the whole thing even more forced that it already is.

I'd much rather fawn over the normal looking chick putting the egos of men in check in a game of *insert something competitive here* than watching a bunch of women being paid to pretend they give a shit about the content at hand but I realize some guys have other interests and so they can have at the booth babes.

Yeah, sex sells to a demographic, but lets be fucking real: who the fuck is buying a copy of Tactics Ogre on the PSP, simply because the female art models have more flesh exposed than dudes? Who picked up Disgaea solely because the Succubus has massive tits and shows flesh?
    I've always seen this type of fanservice as largely harmless as in most games both the men and women are highly sexualized and this will only grow with men as the female demographic of players pours into the arena of consuming video games. Women who have huge tits or curves and men who have the physiques of Athenian gods is about as far from the American standard as humanly possible but this isn't unique to video games as movies, ancient pottery, murals and practically every other artistic medium has done this to some extent and all in the name of chasing an imaginary 'ideal'. Why do we chase an ideal when it's obvious most humans are doomed to being normal? Same reason millions of men and women aspire to be famous.

That being said, women who feel that a more attractive woman being used in that sense is "threatening" needs to get over it. If I felt shitty every time I saw a white hunk of man-meat somewhere that I know could tap at least 50% of the women around him at any time, without effort, I'd be a quivering pile of mush by now. At some point you've gotta work on what you've got and feel confident with that. Women should be focusing on the point of the point of a show like this just as much as the men should be.
    Amen.

lol, women.

internet.

lol

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 294 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast