BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

just read on twitter that The Newsroom has been renewed for a 2nd season

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

And imdb led me to this EW article that says they've picked up Terry Crews for a recurring guest arc:
    ...The actor best known for his Old Spice commercials and for playing the papa Julius on the old UPN comedy Everybody Hates Chris will be introduced in episode 6 on July 29. He plays a bodyguard — and unofficial life coach — for Will McAvoy (Jeff Daniels). He’ll appear in five episodes.

A. Body
    BG Level

Did Sorkin's AP get cheated on by the AW while she's under the bed too? That episode was as big a train wreck as the immigration segment.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

First off, I'm a fan of Sorkin's writing - I loved both the West Wing and Studio 60 - but frankly I was very disappointed by the Newsroom.

I will give the show a chance, but for now I’m going to voice the dissenting opinion. My impressions so far include:

- Not a single likeable character: There aren't any "good guys" and I can't identify any characters that are meant to be intelligent. Emily Mortimers' character is portrayed as stultifyingly incompetent and loutish most of the time. I think Jeff Daniels’ character is supposed to be perceived as having a modicum of intelligence, but I can’t tell since he’s too busy being obnoxiously detestable. I understand they want to make this show about salvaging the integrity of the news program and the staff, but they haven’t uncovered any redeemable qualities to make it seem worth salvaging.

- Few likeable actors: I can't look at some of them while they speak because of the things they do with their mouths. And I thought Bradley Whitford was bad. Waterston is good, but his performance is stymied by the intractable quality of the character he plays.

- The dialogue is unremittingly juvenile and needlessly adversarial most of the time

- The story focuses more on the personal lives of the characters rather than any compelling procedural or issue-related themes (two things that I always thought of as stock-in-trade for Sorkin)

- Contemporary news isn’t the most interesting basis for a show like this – especially not American news. The topics available for them to touch upon while keeping the show true to the reality of the chosen format are threadbare when it comes to any real ideological content. This show will most likely not hold much international appeal for this reason – I can’t see most viewers being willing to follow a show centered around debating parochial issues such as whether or not to put up a fence to keep immigrants out of their country.

Fingers crossed some of these things change in the coming episodes.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

i remember my first thesaurus

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Haha I guess I deserved that.

BG Level

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Did anyone find the second episode to be a bit more...chatty?

I know it was done that way to develop the supporting characters but the lack of attention on whatshisface was too noticeable.

Also, a lot of melodrama in such a nice studio.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

Great episode tonight. Lol@ Jesus and moses joke

BG Level

best episode yet easily

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

nice. looking forward to watching it tomorra

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Just picked this up. Pretty good show. Glad HBO has something for me on sundays while I wait for GoT season 3 lol

Ridill
    BG Level

Yeah nice recovery from last week's lower-end-of-mediocrity. I'm at least interested to see what's going to happen now. Is that Jane Fonda btw? lol

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

Yes

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

She's channelling her inner Ted Turner

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Stef View Post
    First off, I'm a fan of Sorkin's writing - I loved both the West Wing and Studio 60 - but frankly I was very disappointed by the Newsroom.

I will give the show a chance, but for now I’m going to voice the dissenting opinion. My impressions so far include:

- Not a single likeable character: There aren't any "good guys" and I can't identify any characters that are meant to be intelligent. Emily Mortimers' character is portrayed as stultifyingly incompetent and loutish most of the time. I think Jeff Daniels’ character is supposed to be perceived as having a modicum of intelligence, but I can’t tell since he’s too busy being obnoxiously detestable. I understand they want to make this show about salvaging the integrity of the news program and the staff, but they haven’t uncovered any redeemable qualities to make it seem worth salvaging.

- Few likeable actors: I can't look at some of them while they speak because of the things they do with their mouths. And I thought Bradley Whitford was bad. Waterston is good, but his performance is stymied by the intractable quality of the character he plays.

- The dialogue is unremittingly juvenile and needlessly adversarial most of the time

- The story focuses more on the personal lives of the characters rather than any compelling procedural or issue-related themes (two things that I always thought of as stock-in-trade for Sorkin)

- Contemporary news isn’t the most interesting basis for a show like this – especially not American news. The topics available for them to touch upon while keeping the show true to the reality of the chosen format are threadbare when it comes to any real ideological content. This show will most likely not hold much international appeal for this reason – I can’t see most viewers being willing to follow a show centered around debating parochial issues such as whether or not to put up a fence to keep immigrants out of their country.

Fingers crossed some of these things change in the coming episodes.

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post
    best episode yet easily
    Yup, agreed. I love this show so far.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post
    best episode yet easily
    ^ this for sure. Things are really starting to unravel now that corporate is getting annoyed with the news show. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Also, gotta love Sam Waterston in a role where hes not censored. Probably one of the best characters on the show. lol

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze View Post
    Also, gotta love Sam Waterston in a role where hes not censored. Probably one of the best characters on the show. lol
    Absolutely, there's just something very awesome and very wrong about hearing Jack McCoy curse.

Like others have said, I thought the latest episode was the best yet. The structure of the 40th floor meeting providing the driving force of the episode was really well done. Still a bit preachy on the actual news discussion though, and the the Maggie/Don thing is a fucking nightmare. The reason I liked The West Wing so much was they kept personal relationships on the back burner, only introducing them for one-off episodes or towards the end of the series.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

This show is enjoyable, I just really hate the relationship shit. It's just fucking brutal, and they forced it on us before we even knew all the characters involved.