BG-Wiki Search
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 205 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

New or Returning Players Discussion 2: SoA Homeless Veterans Edition

After the end of Abyssea FFXI settled into another period of dull drawn-out updates featuring Voidwatch. Followed this year by a 2012 roadmap that looked equally uninspiring. I get a sense that a lot of players unsubbed because there just didn't seem to be much to look forward to (being the case for me personally).

Now that Square has finally announced a new proper expansion however some players are ready to catch up. This thread is for discussing returning, looking for old or new friends, finding new linkshells, asking about past updates or changes you have missed, etc. In particular for past veterans to find new contacts, because of how drastically subscriptions may have changed.

Like before I'll post various quick links for convenience-

BG Wiki Guide for Returning Players
    BG Wiki Guide for going 1-119
    BG Wiki job guide section
    BG Wiki Guide to Past Update History Summary
    First new and returning player thread here.
    FFXI Abyssea Collection Official Site.
    FFXI Abyssea Collection on Steam (40% off During Steam Summer Sale, $12).
    Square-Enix Accounts
    Seekers of Adoulin Official Site

Did you also know the 14 day free trial offer is still available? I didn't either. In case any of you are starting from scratch it might be worth checking out. Considering it's possible to use a 14 day trial followed by a 30 free period with the game's purchase, that's 44 days of free game time.

The free trial period has some significant limitations to prevent RMT abuse click below for details.
    Spoiler: show

http://support.na.square-enix.com/fa...245&id=20&la=1
    Character creation limit: Free trial players will be able to create up to 3 characters per account.

Level 30 cap: Free trial players will be able to level their characters up to level 30.
    * Once level 30 is reached, a character’s levels will not increase even if experience points are gained. However, players will still be able to participate in events and quests.

Area restrictions: Free trial players will only be able to access areas included in the initial FINAL FANTASY XI release (not including Rise of the Zilart areas).

Placing items up for auction/bidding on auctions: Free trial players will not be able to place items up for auction, place bids on auctions, or view other players’ items up for auction.

Gil limit: Free trial players can earn up to a maximum of 100,000 gil.
    *Any gil earned beyond that will not be accounted for.

Trading with other players/using the bazaar: Free trial players will not be able to trade items with other players or use the bazaar feature to buy or sell items.

Inviting players to a party: Free trial players will not be able to invite other players to a party.
    * However, free trial players are able to join parties when they are invited.

Mog House Delivery Box: Free trial players will not be able to use the Mog House Delivery Box feature.

Tell/shout/yell: Free trial players will not be able to use the /tell, /shout, or /yell chat features. However, they will be able to reply to /tell messages from party members and other players.

World Transfer Service: Free trial accounts cannot use the World Transfer Service.

Mentor: Free trial characters are not able to become mentors (even if they fulfill the requirements of reaching level 30 and playing for over 180 hours).

I have had to reinstall FFXI more times than I can count, and every time I do I think "this fucking sucks to install, someone should make a guide because no typical player can deal with this". And so this time I finally went ahead and did my best to document a typical FFXI registration and install. Figuring out where the hell to use the Free Trial code was even more confusing, so here are two videos for an idiot-proof walkthrough. It shows how to setup for a Free Trial, but the basics are the same for all players.

Link to North American Free Trial site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrwEbewvf8c

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

If anyone rolls on Quetz, let me know. Character name is Gunstarr, can probably get you into the LS I am in CrtlAltDel. Social shell mostly, but everyone helps everyone out.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Props to the contributors on that first BGwiki link. Nice stuff.^^

Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

One of the first things my friend/ls leader said when I logged back in: "Looks like we getting the band back together again."

My roster seriously looked like '09 ish time frame. /feelsgoodman

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Well just resubbed yesterday. My flist has about 62 people on it and only 3 are active. I don't mind doing a solo thing for a while as I catch up in exp, but eventually I'm gonna need a new Siren ls. I'm RDM SMN and COR.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Is there any gear from 75 cap that still holds up? I see lots of brutals, suppas, and rajas. Is that it?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Some of the old abjurations and pieces of sky gear are still useful if you augment them: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Tatter_and_Scrap_Synergy

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

So ... I was wondering, was the mystery of the SE AV video ever discovered? Irrelevant now I know as you can faceroll it, but that was something that was always in my mind. I still enjoy showing none FF11 players that short video, despite it not meaning anything to them, of what the once penultimate boss of FF11 was like.

Seems weird but I just want to kind of seek some sort of closure to this case.

On another note, I hear people are solo farming dynamis for currencies, etc to get their Lv75 relics. I am wondering if a level 99, BST for example, would have any trouble/issues soloing them special NMs that drop the special item (I really forgotten the name now) in Dynamis-Xaabacard that is required to complete the weapon? I think those NMs are called Animated <Weapon> and have special conditions (usually zerg) to kill or they despawn. From what I recall groups don't usually go for them unless someone needs them to complete relic?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    On another note, I hear people are solo farming dynamis for currencies, etc to get their Lv75 relics. I am wondering if a level 99, BST for example, would have any trouble/issues soloing them special NMs that drop the special item (I really forgotten the name now) in Dynamis-Xaabacard that is required to complete the weapon? I think those NMs are called Animated <Weapon> and have special conditions (usually zerg) to kill or they despawn. From what I recall groups don't usually go for them unless someone needs them to complete relic?
    Yeah, getting Attestations and such is easy for a solo BST now.

Oh, and I think we kind of figured out how to do AV in the end, but the final secret was that there wasn't a final secret iirc. You just had to weaken it as much as possible and then grit your teeth and grind through it. People ended up killing him with zergs at the 80 cap.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    So ... I was wondering, was the mystery of the SE AV video ever discovered? Irrelevant now I know as you can faceroll it, but that was something that was always in my mind. I still enjoy showing none FF11 players that short video, despite it not meaning anything to them, of what the once penultimate boss of FF11 was like.

Seems weird but I just want to kind of seek some sort of closure to this case.
    There was never any super secret to ultimate success, that was the player's wishful thinking. They showed everyone how to weaken it. The rest was up to you to *somehow* overcome. That *somehow* turned out to be Summoner's getting Alexander and the level cap being raised.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

How do you "weaken" it? And what does that actually do?

I haven't even thought much about AV since they released that vid.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

You can lower its regen by nuking with magic that matches the day and you can lock certain 2-hour trios by matching your own to its properly. I forget the specifics, but I think those were the only two weakening methods that anyone ever found.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Byrth's guide has been relocated here in semi-final form, use this link moving forward:

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Returning_to_Vana%27diel

I've also come up with a timeline of version updates which should prove useful for anyone wondering on what has been added since they left:

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/FFXI_Version_Update_History

We're working on assembling all necessary info on the wiki, but these two pages should be good starting locations for info.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

i remember when i quit BG wiki was just starting out. Now it seems SO much better than the other wiki.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I also had just re-subbed a couple days ago. Quit in January, came back and people I hadn't seen in YEARS were all exping with me to get back up.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Evolith System - Really, this was almost unarguably the single worst thought out system that was ever implemented in FFXI. I refuse to explain it further because it would be too painful for you to hear of the intricacies and obvious extreme amounts of planning that went into making such a totally useless system.
    Rofl. I considered suggesting a "content you can safely ignore" section, but looks like you did anyway.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Synergy

Synergy is a new crafting system that was introduced and briefly updated properly, but has now been officially abandoned in favor of higher crafting caps. It relied on bringing together various crafters in a party to undertake a more difficult synth and then having your party members with Synergy skill play a minigame to obtain the proper elemental balance for the group's synth. I'll admit that it sounds like a great idea, but in practice it isn't nearly as successful or fun as it sounds. Profit sharing is not something crafters like and none of the synths are hard enough to really require two players, so it generally devolved into a single crafter in a party with his level 100 crafting mules.
    I would not recommend spending any time on this as a fresh returner regardless how much you like crafting. Leveling this skill is neither difficult nor hard (choose a high level recipe, keep making it, and never hit complete), but it takes a lot of time and has pretty limited rewards. There are some things that it's essential for, but you can shout and find a synergist relatively quickly if you offer a little gil.
    Seriously? It's that bad? For being very cheap to level, and not interfering with crafting caps, I don't see why it's not worth doing. I planned on leveling Alchemy as a consumable craft, and Synergy for BST jugs / gear augmenting. "Takes a long time" is pretty synonymous with most things in FFXI..or at the very least most things in old-FFXI which wasn't TOO terrible.

Radsourceful

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

It's nice to be able to do your own augments on gear, esp once you cross the 0/100 boundary, adding any expense getting a crafter in addition to the tatters isn't fun. It's definitely not key to have, you can live without it easily enough.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Well, there's this: http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/841...=1#post4737101

So you're looking at about 7000-8000 "feeds" Each "feed" takes >10 seconds (all told) and ~3 button presses iirc. It's not expensive, per se (13-14 stacks of Earth Fewell is ~300k), but at the end of it you've wasted a day of playtime hitting Enter and using the arrow keys just so you can use the 100 crafts you already have to make slow-selling moderate-profit items or augment your abjuration equipment. If I had a friend that quit during ToAU and returned that started playing with Synergy after a day back, I'd try to warn them off and shoo them back to Abyssea.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    Well, there's this: http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/841...=1#post4737101

So you're looking at about 7000-8000 "feeds" Each "feed" takes >10 seconds (all told) and ~3 button presses iirc. It's not expensive, per se (13-14 stacks of Earth Fewell is ~300k), but at the end of it you've wasted a day of playtime hitting Enter and using the arrow keys just so you can use the 100 crafts you already have to make slow-selling moderate-profit items or augment your abjuration equipment. If I had a friend that quit during ToAU and returned that started playing with Synergy after a day back, I'd try to warn them off and shoo them back to Abyssea.
    It takes that many feeds to cap it. Why would I sit there for a full day to cap it? Just do an hour or two of feed a night and whatever else the rest of the night. Am I missing something?

Edit:
    I understand shooing newbies from crafting in general, but the entry reads that synergy is not worth doing period. I planned on using it for BST jugs since the main reason I was going to level Cooking was jugs..and Synergy is likely much cheaper to cap than Cooking.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 205 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast