Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I really don't get what the obsession with Aerith is. Aeris is a much better name and Aerith just sounds like someone is saying it with a lisp.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Japanese pronounce "TH" as "S" so there's no difference at all phonetically. If anything "Aerith" is incorrect... as would be Croud, Led Silteen, Thid, Binthent, Balet, Cait This, Thefilos, Lufuth, etc.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Kett Shee

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    Japanese pronounce "TH" as "S" so there's no difference at all phonetically. If anything "Aerith" is incorrect... as would be Croud, Led Silteen, Thid, Binthent, Balet, Cait This, Thefilos, Lufuth, etc.
    Yeah but thats why the English translation should be Aeris because english speakers dont pronounce 'th' as 's'. Why is why I think its dumb that its being changed to Aerith in the english version.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Yeah but thats why the English translation should be Aeris because english speakers dont pronounce 'th' as 's'. Why is why I think its dumb that its being changed to Aerith in the english version.
    Then we are in agreement.

Do people get mad when we similarly don't spell Gojira "correctly?"

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    Kett Shee
    whaaaaaaaaaaateverrrrrrrrrrrrr

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Except the japanese isn't aerith. It's エアリス, aka earisu. The only reason the japanese don't spell it as aerith is because that combination of letters is impossible.

Your logic is backwards. If the japanese pronounced S as th, and spelled it aerith, then you might have a point, but it's just the opposite. Another case of this is with the japanese ザ (za). This is actually what the japanese use for the english word "the". They change the "th" to a z because that particular sound is unavailable in japanese.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

i dont care so much about the phonetics as the fact that every other title in the compilation of FF7 calls her Aerith except for the original

I like Aeris more. Just as Terra was better than Tina for VI.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Nevex View Post
    The problem with FFVII is not the graphics, the non-existant challenge and the outdated gameplay, it's being FFVII. It's a good game and all, but I can't see why I would pay for a game that I already own and that I have played at least a dozen of times.
    No matter how good the original game is, a re-release is still a re-release. It's just a quick money grab that doesn't really give me anything new. Most remakes also fall in this category because they don't really add anything worthwile compared to the originals.
    I'd throw FFT and Tactics Ogre in your face, but both of those had extra content packed into the re-release, and in Tactics Ogre's case, revamped character art and music.

Damn, that really was a good remake. So glad I have it. ._.

Edit: They better not touch the hilarious translation - was it Woosley? If Cid isn't telling me to "sit down, shuddap and DRINK MY GODDAMN TEA~!!", I don't want to buy it.

Yes, I'm that fickle. That shit was hilarious. Palmer better be asking for extra lard in his tea as well, goddammit.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Sony did the translation for FF7. Woolseys last game was Super Mario RPG.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

FFT & Tactics Ogre port+newshit were both on a portable platform which is a bonus in of itself.

At any rate, who gives a fuck about changes in naming/dialog for localization. If it weren't for the 'internet' no one would be none the wiser anyways.

Other than a few grammatical errors VII's dialogue was fine really, Barret is supposed to sound like Mr. T and Cid is supposed to be a foul mouthed bastard.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'd say it had more than grammatical errors, I blame the dialogue in general for that though. Jenova/Reunion/Sephiroth all got piss poor explanations.
    Cait Sith's "Feel sorry for the robot that just killed itself for you" is a good example of the levels of wut that sometimes happen in the game. Oh, and anytime Yuffie is in the party. ANY. TIME.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

My biggest gripe is people whining about the 1st boss dialogue

"Attack while its tail is up"
    "It's gonna counter attack with its tail laser"

Even I understood at the age of 10 that there was a <beat>

But apparently everyone ignored the 2nd line and killed themselves -_-

It even says so right there. COUNTER ATTACK

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I hated waiting so no matter what, I already had both guys queued up to attack before it even switched stances... so I got to read all the dialogue while I helplessly watched them get their shit pushed in by tail lasers.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I can only replay games where I find the battle system fun and rewarding.
    7, 8 and 9 had fun ones for me since I like grinding. Materia, Drawing, and whatever you call the one from 9 <3

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

AP Grinding in 9, was fun until you mastered everything

Quote Originally Posted by Apelila View Post
    I'd say it had more than grammatical errors, I blame the dialogue in general for that though. Jenova/Reunion/Sephiroth all got piss poor explanations.
    Well it's worth noting that a lot of what we know now about that stuff was written after the fact, when the game was actually being made the big picture may not have been entirely conceived (or rather, the specifics).

But if you watch all of the cutscenes (including the optional ones) and read all the info available in the game it's not that hard to fill in the blanks. Hojo goes into detail about his Reunion theory/experiment and all that, I remember that much at least.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Fuck it I'm going to play through the game again while out of my mind on pain killers after my surgery over the next 3 days. I'm pretty sure that while Hojo did explain a bit, they weren't concise in any way shape or form. From my memory the whole scene with him and Lucretia was a cluster fuck of "what the hell order is this happening in". But I could be wrong! Its been years since I've played through the game and my nostaliga has kicked it, so game on mother fuckers.

You know...assuming nothing goes wrong this morning and I don't die.

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

We all know that's the #1 reason why it sold so well when it was ported to the PSN: On-the-go gaming. If they re-released a HD Remake of this game for the Vita, it would have sold me just for that one game and I strongly believe that's where the fanbase is going to turn this whole thing.

Like someone said earlier, most of the re-releases of 1-6 had to be built from the ground up and FFVII was the largest game ever to be released at the time (coming in at just over 1.4 Gigs). You figure with better translation support, better resolution and graphics, adding in content like in FFT and whatnot, and you're looking at either twice or three times the game size than the original, which could take a lot longer depending on the media source you're going to release it for.

My wife already said she knows FFVII is my favorite game and listens to me rant about how excited I am for re-releases of this game. Hell she bought me a brand new PSP when it came out for the PSN and regularly checks the PSN blogs and DLC to get me new games whenever my birthday/anniversary/etc. comes up. Now she's been withdrawing small transfers out of our account (she thinks I don't notice, but I'm a cop for a reason) and usually this translates to a big purchase in the future. She predicted the PSN release of FFVII, now i'm sure she's predicting the HD-remake and getting the funds ready for a Vita purchase or PS4 purchase.

Love that woman.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast