+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Based Googleoptics.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Makes me wish I could get fiber here or anything better than 3mbs.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Arkansas here. $30 for 20/3 on Comcast.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy-Killer View Post
    I showed my roommate this, and he went fullscale doomsday prophecy on me. Talking about how Google would collect all this information and then we'd be denied basic human rights, etc etc. I just told him he's fucking paranoid. Holy hell at those speeds.
    The thing that is wrong with this is Google uses our info to make money. We give that info up fully knowing this.

Google has no desire to stomp on our human rights mostly because they make so much money off our human rights.

They do better with us willingly giving up what we want, we can voice our opinions and they normally follow our reactions.

When the government does this they never take away their power. Think about the broad wording in the P-act. That power will never be taken away. Net think about the ads in the play store they are customized for us, but in settings we can opt out;this opt out function is a reaction to people saying your invading privacy.

My take anyways.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Caiyuo View Post
    Yeah right now locally 12/8 normally rings in at $62 and change
    Ouch, I get 33/7 for only like $65. It's actually the TV that's expensive.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

How much is it AFTER the 2 year contract? They get you on the hook with the fancy speed, 120/month, all that for a 2 year contract. Usually places jump prices up after your honeymoon contract is done.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

So like, when is this becoming available anywhere people care about?

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm mostly curious what the aftermath with the other ISPs in that region will be once Google gets the infrastructure up and running.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    When we're not in Kansas anymore.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Can not wait. So sick of Comcast, and AT&T UVerse is even worse in the bay area. I'm paying 130 a month bundle for HD TV with no premium channels, dvr (since it's the only hdmi cable box that works and I don't have a free component hookup) and 25 down 8 up internet.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

This is good shit, god dammit good shit good shit. I need to help contribute and work on the google fiber team.

And hell yeah at KC area, even though I don't think you should kid yourselves about KCKS / KCMO 'winning' anything. That was a clever ploy to get more people engaged with the idea; Google knows the central and mountain timezones are there for the taking, and they're going to start in the plains and grow outward. You don't just dive into Washington state or Florida and compete with Verizon fios right away.

Kansas City is a sound logistical choice, and yes, you coastal bigots (lol wtf?) should be jelly for once! KC area is big enough to be nicely profitable, offer the ability to build on successes before really getting after it and pissing all the lazy ISPs off. They never should've been fortunate enough to be in the business; they only knew how to offer cable television and telephone service.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Fuck this is awesome. I should've tried harder to get a job with Cerner after college. Or Garmin. May have to hit the KC area back up.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

My affinity to my current employer just plummeted to zero.

wru kc job

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

St. Louis, Omaha, Wichita, Chicago be patient.

Denver, Tulsa, OKC, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Des Moines more patient.

I'd fully expect them to tinker around other cities that illicit such brilliance as
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    before they jump in the ring with a Dallas/FW area. I know Verizon offers fios in the Carrolton area. Who knows though? It'll be interesting to see how they grow their infrastructure.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Chicago not having fiber yet is a travesty

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

^

i imagine google concurs too

this should've been happening like 4 years ago, but at least one company is apparently opening its eyes to the fact blazing up/down is more valuable to today's consumers than the oprah winfrey network

Teamkiller of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Korgath

Quote Originally Posted by Roranora View Post
    This is good shit, god dammit good shit good shit. I need to help contribute and work on the google fiber team.

And hell yeah at KC area, even though I don't think you should kid yourselves about KCKS / KCMO 'winning' anything. That was a clever ploy to get more people engaged with the idea; Google knows the central and mountain timezones are there for the taking, and they're going to start in the plains and grow outward. You don't just dive into Washington state or Florida and compete with Verizon fios right away.

Kansas City is a sound logistical choice, and yes, you coastal bigots (lol wtf?) should be jelly for once! KC area is big enough to be nicely profitable, offer the ability to build on successes before really getting after it and pissing all the lazy ISPs off. They never should've been fortunate enough to be in the business; they only knew how to offer cable television and telephone service.
    Fuck you! I am so fucking jelly now :V

I can't even get fiber in my neighborhood, just comcast and at&t. $180 for 25 down / 5 up and some HDTV channels.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

dun be jelly of me though (yet!), just KC area peeps

i'm so gonna job search there (have been a little bit overall, but add KC to the list for sure)

Ksandra Needs To Post Tits
    BG Level

Enjoy your tornadoes

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I for one welcome our google overlords.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Odon View Post
    Enjoy your tornadoes
    Been in several; I'm almost 10,000 days old (judith marie, mmm) and at least 8500 of those have been in Kansas. So yeah, I've been in several. As long as you don't post up in your bathroom in your trailer park thinking your prayers are going to save you from debris through your spleen, they are really np.

Though I guess it's the same thing as people from CA saying earthquakes are fun and cool and no biggie.

Ideally, I'd live in Denver, and we'll all die there when Yellowstone erupts. So in the end, seeking good tubes is still the priority. XD