Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vrumpt Vegallion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

How's my build? GW2 Builds Discussion.

Certainly an in depth enough topic to merit its own thread.

The build i was using yesterday, which I couldn't really test that well because of the lag..
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fcQQ...lwKrPOrk+MqYGA

Will probably switch out the 10 points in tools and put them into explosives and get Exploit Weakness. Also not entirely decided on my second and third utility skills yet.

Engineer is the one class I haven't touched much but here's my thief build.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fYAQ...bNuak1sIYEyEEA

Utilize shortbow 70% of the time during sPvP while only swapping to Dag/Pistol to finish someone off/burst someone I don't want to fight (with haste) Has A LOT of utility to it. Utility as in movement utility.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I'm curious what people are considering for Mesmer. I was planning to do a condition build so was thinking something around:

Domination: seems like 30 points is a must. the last trait to do 2 mantra's per charge is great.

Dueling: And you at least want 10-15 in Dueling. 10 points for the illusions being able to crit which applies a bleed. And 15 for the dodging creating 2 clones. Overall Dueling is the PvP build you want because it has terrific stuff in it

Illusions/Inspiration: Seems like both are good and this is where I am lost. I like Illusion better just because of the modifier's, but Inspiration has some great buffs to illusions.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fgUQ...s7dSPUNrXd5D1G (just one of the things I'm thinking of)

Anybody else mess around w/ Mesmer builds? If going for PvP i understand that Dueling will be much higher though

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vrumpt Vegallion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Drafted View Post
    Engineer is the one class I haven't touched much but here's my thief build.

Utilize shortbow 70% of the time during sPvP while only swapping to Dag/Pistol to finish someone off/burst someone I don't want to fight (with haste) Has A LOT of utility to it. Utility as in movement utility.
    How effective is steal in PvP? I haven't had the opportunity to try Thief out in sPvP yet.

Quote Originally Posted by vrumpt View Post
    Certainly an in depth enough topic to merit its own thread.

The build i was using yesterday, which I couldn't really test that well because of the lag..

Will probably switch out the 10 points in tools and put them into explosives and get Exploit Weakness. Also not entirely decided on my second and third utility skills yet.
    Pretty similar to the build I've been running that I've been tweaking here and there. This is the one I played for a bit during stress test.
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fcAQ...koIrPOYk+MqYWB

Was able to get some footage before servers got too laggy.

Steal is basically used as a gap closer since most of the things stolen aren't that useful. Though, there are a few things that are REALLY useful.

The cooldown on Steal with 30 into trickery is reduced to 31 from 45 so it's definitely noticeable.

It's also nice to steal any important boons they buff themselves with. It's just pretty situational all around.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Drafted View Post

I was going to say that toughness and armor are kinda low but should be fine if you're utilizing shortbow most of the time. Nice condition removals as well. I dunno about haste since you don't use it that often but i personally dislike losing all my endurance so I'm biased. About the only time i ever equip it is if I'm going s/p to get pistol whips off.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Posting here rather than in the "Guild Wars 2" thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Cjskater View Post
    Made that for my asura guardian, no idea if it's viable, dont care, I'm healin (to start with anyway). I played it a bit more during that last stress test, hammer is really fucking strong, and staff was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. So I've kind of switched over from human necro to that... still going to play both, but probably going with my asura first.
    Touched that up for you a bit. Fully defense/healing-focused. Good setup for controlling a single point on a 5v5 PVP map and irritating your opponents (probably up to 3 of them at once, if you're good).

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Hopeing to get some help, anyone able to point me towards a war build for wvwvw. I am a complete novice so a starting point would be appreciated.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Support buffs, cc, and ranged is really important in RvR. Things like banners and shouts are invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by Flic View Post
    Hopeing to get some help, anyone able to point me towards a war build for wvwvw. I am a complete novice so a starting point would be appreciated.
    Threw this together really quick, but probably some variation of something like this. Pretty good ranged damage and group support through banners. Regen from banners would tick around 260/sec assuming you can get similar gear to this.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fIQQ...IwxijDHJOLLGUA

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Thxs, gives me a starting point, roll on the 25th

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by vrumpt View Post

Between BWE2, 3, and multiple stress tests I've played sPvP pretty much exclusively, and I would imagine 90% or more of that was on Engineer. I can sort of see where you're going with this build, but there are some issues/suggestions I'm going to put in spoilers, because I have no idea how long this will be.
    Spoiler: show

I'm going to preface this by saying I sincerely hope you mean pvp build, and not pve, otherwise I am going to weep.
    I'm going to make a small list of general stuff, then go into depth a bit more. Obviously some of this won't be relevant at launch as things are very likely to change, but some of the concepts should be the same. Also, I'm not attempting to tell you how to play (it's your $12.95, etc.), just trying to give some insight. By no means am I an expert, but I've played Engineer about as much as possible for anyone outside of internal testers.

LET US BEGIN.

A.) You're really, really light on condition removal.
    B.) Some of your traits don't SYNERGIZE well with what seems to be the intended purpose of your build.
    C.) Several utility skills (and as such, tool belt skills) can be replaced to give you greater utility (in a team oriented sense of the word), survival, and damage.

So first off, you need condition removal. For Engineer, this is best done in one of two ways: Formula 409, and Elixir C.

409 is a crazy-ass trait. While not mentioned in the description, it will remove one condition per ally hit, including yourself when you throw elixirs. That means you have the capability of removing five conditions from each member of your team for each elixir you toss. It's ridiculous, and I don't know how long it will last or whether it's a bug or whatever. Elixir C is also quite good, as it converts all conditions to boons, and the thrown version can help your team a bit.

Traits, skills, amulet, and runes will always be things that are very interdependent, so it does not make sense to talk about them without offering a build to exemplify what it do, and how it be.
    This is a build I've seen a heaving shit ton of success with. In spirit, it's very similar to yours. Bust caps in jerks, and hopefully light them on fire at regular intervals.
    However, our two builds diverge very heavily in certain areas, so I'm going to go over the differences as quickly and concisely as I can to try and limit the wall o' text here.

Starting from the top:

Skills.
    Elixir H: Same. Heals and team support/condi removal, excellent.
    Rocket Boots: Some people dislike them, I love them. Note that the tool belt skill is very similar to flame turrets skill, except more damage and a shorter cool down. The active also breaks immobilize which is great.
    Elixir C: Taken over goggles due to goggles not being so great for condition based builds (they are excellent for power rifle, however), and use for condition conversion, removal, etc.
    Elixir R: Taken instead of B because Elixir R's tool belt skill is overpowered. Elixir B is very nice, but the utility of Elixir R cannot be overstated. You rally allies (including yourself with some good reflexes) almost instantly. Breaking stun and refilling endurance are also very nice.
    Supply Drop: Same, because it's the only good Engineer elite skill.

Traits.
    1st line: Same, this is standard for any non-explosives based builds.

2nd line: This is where things diverge. The Swiftness-on-crit trait is very good, and can probably be taken over what I chose; they do the same thing roughly. Pistol shots piercing is also very good and is what I would chose as well. However, the second trait, the one that applies vulnerability is detrimental to your build. Vulnerability does not help you much, but 20% CDR on pistol skills most certainly will. That's more poison, more burn, and more sticky-icky glue patches to infuriate people with.

3rd line: Cloaking Device. This skill is literally the shit. Some Thief wants to immobilize you for 30 seconds with venoms and their plethora of pets? Doesn't matter; have cloak. I could go on. Immobilize is overpowered, and this will save you from it. If you have balls the size of China, feel free to remove this and place the points somewhere else.

4th line: If you're going to use elixirs, take the 20% elixir CDR trait, it's quite nice. Calling 409 nice is an understatement, but that is quite nice as well. It comes down to preference, but these two traits improve elixir usage so much, I find them too appealing to take anything else.

5th line: I leave that shiznit empty so I can take cloaking device, you take +25% endurance regeneration. Both are good.

So hopefully that explained some of the skill:trait synergy business, and all that remains is runes, sigils, and amulet.

I will start with amulet because you picked the correct one. Best condition amulet by far; toughness is very good and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Be proud of your tough self.

Runes! You really don't need the extra precision; my set gives more bleed duration and condition damage. Again, my choice is probably not optimal, but I am almost sure it would perform better than slightly more crit.

Sigils! We have a shit ton of bleed duration anyway, the 10% off agony isn't super important. What is super important, however, is a certain distinction about sigils.
    Some stack, and some do not. For example, these will only affect the weapon they are placed upon. You will not get +10% damage for both hands, only +5% per hand. This is not the case with the sigil of superior earth. Any crit, with either hand, may proc these. Only one sigil will activate per crit, but they are amazing. Your poison dart volley in particular becomes deadly when using these. You have a roughly 84% chance to proc a 5 second bleed (that has no cool down wololololo) per crit, a ~50% crit rate, and five hits on a skill that's up every eight seconds. That also applies poison. Think about that shit, bro.

That's really all I have to say. Hopefully someone will make use of this. Again, as always, I may be wrong about anything here and am happy to be told I am wrong, suck at the internet, suck at life, have insufficient genitalia, etc. Suggestions and comments also welcome.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsuko Stark
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Complete newb to this but heres my condition focused mesmer build. http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fgEQ...y2krJZTrKGVsrA

I want to focus on confuse with scepter/torch, then switch to random conditions and damage with iWarlock. Also plenty of HP for survivability.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

I'll definitely try that engineer build, Clark. Looks fun as hell.

Sigil of Earth does actually have an ICD on it now which is 5 seconds. But it's still probably the best option for condition builds.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vrumpt Vegallion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkSammich View Post
    Between BWE2, 3, and multiple stress tests I've played sPvP pretty much exclusively, and I would imagine 90% or more of that was on Engineer. I can sort of see where you're going with this build, but there are some issues/suggestions I'm going to put in spoilers, because I have no idea how long this will be.

I'm going to preface this by saying I sincerely hope you mean pvp build, and not pve, otherwise I am going to weep.
    I'm going to make a small list of general stuff, then go into depth a bit more. Obviously some of this won't be relevant at launch as things are very likely to change, but some of the concepts should be the same. Also, I'm not attempting to tell you how to play (it's your $12.95, etc.), just trying to give some insight. By no means am I an expert, but I've played Engineer about as much as possible for anyone outside of internal testers.

LET US BEGIN.

A.) You're really, really light on condition removal.
    B.) Some of your traits don't SYNERGIZE well with what seems to be the intended purpose of your build.
    C.) Several utility skills (and as such, tool belt skills) can be replaced to give you greater utility (in a team oriented sense of the word), survival, and damage.

So first off, you need condition removal. For Engineer, this is best done in one of two ways: Formula 409, and Elixir C.

409 is a crazy-ass trait. While not mentioned in the description, it will remove one condition per ally hit, including yourself when you throw elixirs. That means you have the capability of removing five conditions from each member of your team for each elixir you toss. It's ridiculous, and I don't know how long it will last or whether it's a bug or whatever. Elixir C is also quite good, as it converts all conditions to boons, and the thrown version can help your team a bit.

Traits, skills, amulet, and runes will always be things that are very interdependent, so it does not make sense to talk about them without offering a build to exemplify what it do, and how it be.
    This is a build I've seen a heaving shit ton of success with. In spirit, it's very similar to yours. Bust caps in jerks, and hopefully light them on fire at regular intervals.
    However, our two builds diverge very heavily in certain areas, so I'm going to go over the differences as quickly and concisely as I can to try and limit the wall o' text here.

Starting from the top:

Skills.
    Elixir H: Same. Heals and team support/condi removal, excellent.
    Rocket Boots: Some people dislike them, I love them. Note that the tool belt skill is very similar to flame turrets skill, except more damage and a shorter cool down. The active also breaks immobilize which is great.
    Elixir C: Taken over goggles due to goggles not being so great for condition based builds (they are excellent for power rifle, however), and use for condition conversion, removal, etc.
    Elixir R: Taken instead of B because Elixir R's tool belt skill is overpowered. Elixir B is very nice, but the utility of Elixir R cannot be overstated. You rally allies (including yourself with some good reflexes) almost instantly. Breaking stun and refilling endurance are also very nice.
    Supply Drop: Same, because it's the only good Engineer elite skill.

Traits.
    1st line: Same, this is standard for any non-explosives based builds.

2nd line: This is where things diverge. The Swiftness-on-crit trait is very good, and can probably be taken over what I chose; they do the same thing roughly. Pistol shots piercing is also very good and is what I would chose as well. However, the second trait, the one that applies vulnerability is detrimental to your build. Vulnerability does not help you much, but 20% CDR on pistol skills most certainly will. That's more poison, more burn, and more sticky-icky glue patches to infuriate people with.

3rd line: Cloaking Device. This skill is literally the shit. Some Thief wants to immobilize you for 30 seconds with venoms and their plethora of pets? Doesn't matter; have cloak. I could go on. Immobilize is overpowered, and this will save you from it. If you have balls the size of China, feel free to remove this and place the points somewhere else.

4th line: If you're going to use elixirs, take the 20% elixir CDR trait, it's quite nice. Calling 409 nice is an understatement, but that is quite nice as well. It comes down to preference, but these two traits improve elixir usage so much, I find them too appealing to take anything else.

5th line: I leave that shiznit empty so I can take cloaking device, you take +25% endurance regeneration. Both are good.

So hopefully that explained some of the skill:trait synergy business, and all that remains is runes, sigils, and amulet.

I will start with amulet because you picked the correct one. Best condition amulet by far; toughness is very good and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Be proud of your tough self.

Runes! You really don't need the extra precision; my set gives more bleed duration and condition damage. Again, my choice is probably not optimal, but I am almost sure it would perform better than slightly more crit.

Sigils! We have a shit ton of bleed duration anyway, the 10% off agony isn't super important. What is super important, however, is a certain distinction about sigils.
    Some stack, and some do not. For example, these will only affect the weapon they are placed upon. You will not get +10% damage for both hands, only +5% per hand. This is not the case with the sigil of superior earth. Any crit, with either hand, may proc these. Only one sigil will activate per crit, but they are amazing. Your poison dart volley in particular becomes deadly when using these. You have a roughly 84% chance to proc a 5 second bleed (that has no cool down wololololo) per crit, a ~50% crit rate, and five hits on a skill that's up every eight seconds. That also applies poison. Think about that shit, bro.

That's really all I have to say. Hopefully someone will make use of this. Again, as always, I may be wrong about anything here and am happy to be told I am wrong, suck at the internet, suck at life, have insufficient genitalia, etc. Suggestions and comments also welcome.

Thanks for the input!

So the logic behind making this build from the start was basically a focus on conditions based damage. Once I had that established I went to crit procs just because I was already sitting on a nice crit chance.

You seem to be pretty sold on elixir usage, and thats great, but I feel like switching to elixir usage, traits included, would diverge my build too much and then my synergy would just be way way off. 409 is a specific weakness that I don't think i'll ever take, because its reliant on other people being present. If I ever walk up to a part of the map and there are 4 other people there, i'm immediately turning around and going somewhere else because we're probably losing control of a point then.

Most traits you mentioned I had equipped at one point, it was just deciding what I wanted to work with. I'll probly work cloaking into my build for sure just to work something more defensive into it since it is lacking in that regard.

Might switch rune to a conditon(1), tough/vit(2) rune. Extra precision is negligible for what else is giving me it.

I do need to just get in there and mess with this build more though. Yesterday was pretty much just "shoot people and hope my dots kill them between the rubberbanding".

Also I have a very stern rule that i'm following for GW2 of never ever copying a build I found online. You'll never see me using your build here, ever. I do think the elixer sub-focus is a solid option for people who want to go that route through.

409 isn't just for other people though, it's for you as well. Since not only do the toolbelt skills remove conditions, your regular utility elixirs do as well, including the elixir heal. In addition to providing nice buffs. Part of having a good condition build is being able to survive long enough to apply them, and having no condition removal really hurts in that aspect.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Dragir View Post
    Posting here rather than in the "Guild Wars 2" thread...

Touched that up for you a bit. Fully defense/healing-focused. Good setup for controlling a single point on a 5v5 PVP map and irritating your opponents (probably up to 3 of them at once, if you're good).
    I don't think I'd ever do 5v5 PvP (really not my thing), but that is interesting, will keep it in mind.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vrumpt Vegallion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Zerocool View Post
    409 isn't just for other people though, it's for you as well. Since not only do the toolbelt skills remove conditions, your regular utility elixirs do as well, including the elixir heal. In addition to providing nice buffs. Part of having a good condition build is being able to survive long enough to apply them, and having no condition removal really hurts in that aspect.
    Yeah condition removal is definitely something that I need to have. I guess 409 is the easiest way to get that. Only other option that looks nice is Elixir C, but that 60 second cooldown is a little high i think.